Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 06:36 PM

35,535 posts, read 17,852,405 times

Advertisements

Well, I am sorry as hell I googled "dog dumped off at Walmart" to try to get more info on this story.

Word to other tender hearted people - don't google it. *sigh*

I didn't find the story the OP is mentioning, though.

OP - can you link the story you're talking about? It sounds like that one ended much more happily than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 07:48 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,057,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I love animals. Most of them anyway. So why am I feeling so angry?

The news today had a story with video of a person who dropped their dog off at Walmart and took off.

Can you imagine what the dog went through? Hey where you going, wait, wait, wait!!!
Hey it's cold out, and there's a big snow storm coming. I want to come home. Please!! Come back for me.

I don't get it. Dogs will walk through fire to save "you". And this is the best you can do for him/her?

I've never met you but I sure want to slap you.

Last year there were a few dogs and cats rescued from unbelievable cold. One dog's rear was frozen to the porch.

Humans. Is this the best we can do??
Some people just suck.

My kids and I were watching the live action Lady and the Tramp last night. There was a scene where you see Tramp's family abandon him in a park. I started to cry. I volunteer in an animal rescue and the look on a dog's face when they realize they are losing their home... it's horrific. But it's a good teachable moment for the young people in your life. Remind them that an animal is a lifetime commitment. Adoption is, at it's core, a promise.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:04 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,057,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I live in south Texas. The animal rescue groups around here see us "the natives" as the scurge of the animal owners of the US.

They are all about gathering up dogs and cats and sending them up north. Do they not realize that there are unwanted animals up there also. Animals that freeze to death every winter!! It really ticks me off.

A good number of these animal rescue people are originally from up north and you would think they would know this. I read stories about it all the time. Heck there are even hundreds of rescue groups "up north".

I'm more about the spay and neuter thing.
I volunteer with a rescue that pulls dogs from euthanasia lists throughout the south, and quite often from Texas. My dog came from south Texas. He is funny and sweet and so smart and completely beautiful. And he was set to be euthanized because his jerk former owners left him at an overcrowded shelter that didn't have the space to care for him. But instead of dying, he was one of the dogs that was "gathered up and sent up north."

Texas has some of the highest euthanasia rates in the US, and there are quite a few reasons for this. Are dogs euthanized/suffer from abuse/die as strays in the Northeast? Yes, sadly, they are. But there's a better chance of surviving in NY than in many southern states.

https://shelteranimalscount.org/m/20...ing-statistics

Old 11-14-2019, 04:02 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,102,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, I am sorry as hell I googled "dog dumped off at Walmart" to try to get more info on this story.

Word to other tender hearted people - don't google it. *sigh*

I didn't find the story the OP is mentioning, though.

OP - can you link the story you're talking about? It sounds like that one ended much more happily than others.

I saw this story on TV news. I live near Syracuse, NY and I don't get the newspaper. I'm not sure there is a link to give you. You can go to syracuse.com and see if you can find it. I'm just not as tech savvy as some are.

I don't know who rescued him/her, but I'm pretty sure the dog is at a shelter now. Waiting for his/her angel to come get him/her.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:36 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,655,035 times
Here is my rant. I really have a problem with the people who won't spay or neuter their PET animals. The excuses they make are seriously silly.

I have 2 friends that run rescues in the south, one is in Texas. The one in Texas just sent some dogs to Minnesota. They have both told me they send them north because most places in the south kill them if not adopted in specific time period. They both get most of their rescues from shelters about to put them down.

This won't be popular but in some(very few) cases people dropping their pets off at locations like Walmart really are doing what is best for the pet. They can no longer care for their beloved pet and hope/pray someone else can.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 AM

922 posts, read 787,254 times
We adopted a beautiful 3 year old calico cat from a shelter here in southeast Kansas. She was a stray from a shelter in Houston, but when hurricane Harvey happened, they needed room for some of the storm orphans, so she was sent to Tulsa, OK. After being there for a few months and not getting adopted, they sent her to try her luck here.

It's possible Texas sends some animals that have not been adopted for several months to other states to give them their best chance at finding a new home.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:12 AM

sam812: I did think about that. Some people are so broke they cannot afford to take their animals to shelters. I believe it costs to just drop off an animal you cannot care for anymore.

But in many instances (like the dog whose rump was frozen to the porch floor), it's clear whoever neglected the animal doesn't get much respect from me.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:01 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,919,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I love animals. Most of them anyway. So why am I feeling so angry?

The news today had a story with video of a person who dropped their dog off at Walmart and took off.

Can you imagine what the dog went through? Hey where you going, wait, wait, wait!!!
Hey it's cold out, and there's a big snow storm coming. I want to come home. Please!! Come back for me.

I don't get it. Dogs will walk through fire to save "you". And this is the best you can do for him/her?

I've never met you but I sure want to slap you.

Last year there were a few dogs and cats rescued from unbelievable cold. One dog's rear was frozen to the porch.

Humans. Is this the best we can do??
I share your feelings in this regard very deeply. Animals are so powerless and the ones which are domesticated are highly dependent for their well being upon their owners.

The people I really loathe are the ones here in Colorado who will take a pup that their kids have become bored with or a kitten or two or three, and rather than take them to the humane society, they drive these poor creatures up into the mountains and release them so that they can "go back to nature." My now ex husband used to work for the Forest Service and was always running across these poor, terrified, no longer pets who were starving - a six week old kitten has no idea of how to go back to the wild.

We would take in the poor critters, get them fattened up a bit and find new homes for them. I think the people who abandon animals in this way and the way you described, deserve to be abandoned themselves. I'd cheerfully drive them up to the very remotest parts of the San Juan Mountains, push them out of the car, and then speed off - leaving them with no food, no warm jacket, no compass or map. Let's see how well those folks do with their big chance to go back to nature.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Colorado Rambler: Thank you for writing.

I must be losing my mind. I was sure I had written something back to you but can I find it? I probably forgot to click send.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. People do not understand the intelligence of animals and that they actually do feel things (sad, glad, pain, etc.).

Old 11-15-2019, 07:00 PM

274 posts, read 236,704 times
I volunteer at an animal shelter. One of the strictest rules we have is that when someone surrenders a pet, we are to treat them with respect, kindness, and gratitude. No matter how ridiculous the reason for surrendering the pet might be, we thank them for bringing the animal to the shelter instead of abandoning them in a parking lot or worse. Our director absolutely does NOT want our shelter to have a reputation for shaming people or treating them badly because she believes that contributes to people dumping animals.

Unfortunately, we still get plenty of calls, mostly about dogs who have apparently been dumped. It's frustrating and it can be very tempting to feel that humans are terrible. However, whenever I begin to feel that way, I look at all of the people who work hard in animal rescue, and all of the people who adopt and give animals great homes. The trashy humans are the minority, they just stand out more than the good people.

Last edited by Shelia Shay; 11-15-2019 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Message cut off so I had to add the last couple of sentences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs