Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 01:16 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times

Advertisements

I’d like him to get a bit bigger just not Pitbull big. I’m confused because I agreed to adopt a puppy that was a tiny, shy little guy. They shelter actually was concerned my teenage boys would have too many friends over and it be too loud an environment for him. No other dogs, no toddlers to pull his tail, teenagers who play Xbox and watch movies. I had to assure them I’d watch when the 13 year old had friends over because they go in and out to the pool and to play basketball. I was warned about a hawk by my neighbor because he seemed so delicate when he came home. I honestly thought he’d have to be monitored in the backyard based on what the shelter said. He’s grown a lot in less than 3 weeks and looks different from some angles. He is on much better food and getting lots of love. Most of the breeds mentioned I’ve already been looking at mixes online so I see that too. I don’t believe he’s a lot Pitbull but possibly some. Boxer color for sure and I did look at rat terriers. Brother looked Jack Russell to me but a bit fuzzy. Bert has a few longer hairs here and there and his coat is getting a bit fuller - probably the higher protein puppy food he’s eating now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 01:21 PM

Dog DNA tests-d4d83aa6-4d4f-4da4-a786-86617bc664c1.jpeg

Dog DNA tests-73dc5395-fccf-4a48-be84-5662bae42a04.jpeg

Dog DNA tests-a71f1b6a-cebc-4b15-9874-1e6dc376fd86.jpeg

Bert sleeping today and my dog growing up. I still think his face is a bit dachshund.

We did our test last night so hopefully I’ll get some idea in the next month or so

Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
I recently did DNA test on my recently adopted dog. I went with Wisdom Panel and was a little surprised but not too much by the results. I adopted the dog from a breed specific rescue for Shiba Inus and was told he was half shiba and either chihuahua or Pomeranian. Turns out he is mostly Pomeranian with a little chihuahua and not a trace of shiba inu.

Really the rescues can only guess based on appearance and behaviors most of the time.

I found the DNA test helpful and it had a lot of interesting information besides just breed.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I recently did DNA test on my recently adopted dog. I went with Wisdom Panel and was a little surprised but not too much by the results. I adopted the dog from a breed specific rescue for Shiba Inus and was told he was half shiba and either chihuahua or Pomeranian. Turns out he is mostly Pomeranian with a little chihuahua and not a trace of shiba inu.

Really the rescues can only guess based on appearance and behaviors most of the time.

I found the DNA test helpful and it had a lot of interesting information besides just breed.
Good to see a post on Wisdom Panel as that is what I was leaning towards purchasing. I've had my Sawyer for almost 9 years and he's the best dog I've ever had. I really want to do the DNA test thing just to know. It won't change a thing except give in to my curiosity.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Good to see a post on Wisdom Panel as that is what I was leaning towards purchasing. I've had my Sawyer for almost 9 years and he's the best dog I've ever had. I really want to do the DNA test thing just to know. It won't change a thing except give in to my curiosity.

Yep same here. I found it pretty fun and interesting. The color genetics was fascinating. It turns out my little white dog is actually a little brown dog with one very large white spot.

I always wanted to do one on my last dog and never did. I kinda wish I had. I always wondered what she was.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:24 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why waste the money? You know you have an adorable boy and you (I assume) love him dearly. What does it matter if someone you pay tells you he is part poodle or part sheepdog or part Irish wolfhound?
Exactly how I feel! Take the money you would spend on a DNA test and purchase some more dog toys or a giant box of biscuits.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Exactly how I feel! Take the money you would spend on a DNA test and purchase some more dog toys or a giant box of biscuits.
Some people like knowing what they have and giving them treats and toys too. It is fine if you are not one of those people but why the need to be negative towards people who do?

Knowing a bit about your breed mix can tell you a lot about why your dog acts a certain way, and what health issues you should be keeping an eye out for. I am one of those people who thinks there is no such thing as too much information. And when someone asks me what kind of dog I have I can give them an answer. I had a friend ,who considered herself an expert on the breed, insist that my dog was a purebred Schipperke. Now I can not only tell her she is mistaken but prove it as well.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:01 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Some people like knowing what they have and giving them treats and toys too. It is fine if you are not one of those people but why the need to be negative towards people who do?

Knowing a bit about your breed mix can tell you a lot about why your dog acts a certain way, and what health issues you should be keeping an eye out for. I am one of those people who thinks there is no such thing as too much information. And when someone asks me what kind of dog I have I can give them an answer. I had a friend ,who considered herself an expert on the breed, insist that my dog was a purebred Schipperke. Now I can not only tell her she is mistaken but prove it as well.
Negative? I was just stating my opinion. If people want to waste their money go for it. I really could care less what people spend their money on. But how many will get a DNA test find out their dog is not purebred and then drop it on the roadside and leave it?
Don't tell me that won't happen, cause it will and most likely already has.

No need to reply; I don't need to debate an issue with you and I love the ignore list.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Bertie Boo is definitely not a purebred pup. I wouldn’t go to a shelter for one and honestly I prefer mutts anyway. I guess some people might have an issue with it but I’m just curious because he’s changed so much from the first time we saw him. No matter though, the test is done and I’m waiting for results now. Decided to test for health issues as well. From what I can see on FB most people love their dogs and are as interested in the health as they are breed.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Negative? I was just stating my opinion. If people want to waste their money go for it. I really could care less what people spend their money on. But how many will get a DNA test find out their dog is not purebred and then drop it on the roadside and leave it?
Don't tell me that won't happen, cause it will and most likely already has.

No need to reply; I don't need to debate an issue with you and I love the ignore list.
Most people with purebred dogs don't bother with a DNA test so most people who do a DNA test already know they have a mixed breed dog and love it so they are not likely to dump it on the side of the road. They simply want to know what mix it actually is. To them the money is not wasted. Your assertion that it is wasted, is what I consider a negative judgement against people who spend their money the way they want to. Clearly you care since you took time to post on a subject you "could care less about" twice.

But since you have such affection for the ignore list, which I respect your right to use, I guess you will never know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs