Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:29 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old male Aussie. He has epilepsy but is currently taking a break from seizures.
I like to have him accept crating at certain times, like when I'm gone. My other Aussie, also epileptic, is more dependably well behaved and he stays loose.

First the Houdini dog, Joey, learned how to break out of a regular wire crate. He wrapped his bed around the bars and pulled till the wall collapsed. I had an old Kennelaire crate that had worked for another dog so I thought that would work for Joey. It did for maybe a year. It requires a multi-process to open. First you turn a thing to unhook the door, then you have to lift the door out of brackets at the bottom. About ten days ago when I was gone and there was a fly in the house, which he hates, he learned how to open the door to get out of that crate. Now that he has learned, I see him do it in about 30 seconds every time. I've thought about putting a bike lock on the door, but I'm sure he would figure out another way to get out. He likes challenges.

There are times when I really need to have him sturdily enclosed. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to try next? I've thought about an airline crate but he might get nervous in there, not being able to see out, and start having seizures again. Or he might chew plastic pieces off like a previous dog I had. At the moment, I can keep him in the bedroom with a baby gate, but that probably will be his next project to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 02:32 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I have a 4 year old male Aussie. He has epilepsy but is currently taking a break from seizures.
I like to have him accept crating at certain times, like when I'm gone. My other Aussie, also epileptic, is more dependably well behaved and he stays loose.

First the Houdini dog, Joey, learned how to break out of a regular wire crate. He wrapped his bed around the bars and pulled till the wall collapsed. I had an old Kennelaire crate that had worked for another dog so I thought that would work for Joey. It did for maybe a year. It requires a multi-process to open. First you turn a thing to unhook the door, then you have to lift the door out of brackets at the bottom. About ten days ago when I was gone and there was a fly in the house, which he hates, he learned how to open the door to get out of that crate. Now that he has learned, I see him do it in about 30 seconds every time. I've thought about putting a bike lock on the door, but I'm sure he would figure out another way to get out. He likes challenges.

There are times when I really need to have him sturdily enclosed. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to try next? I've thought about an airline crate but he might get nervous in there, not being able to see out, and start having seizures again. Or he might chew plastic pieces off like a previous dog I had. At the moment, I can keep him in the bedroom with a baby gate, but that probably will be his next project to figure out.
A more enclosed airline crate might make him feel less nervous rather than more. However, if he doesn't spend time in a crate on a regular basis why would he just accept it? For all he knows he's being punished for something. You leave, he gets crated. The association's wrong. A dog that regards a crate as a secure pleasant retreat den doesn't feel the need to escape it. Make it a place he can go in and out of when he wishes to. Do you give him anything to "work" on while crated? A puzzle toy with food? If you can confine him to a bedroom why not give him something distracting to work on while in there? Maybe your vet could suggest medication that could prevent anxiety/seizures before they start.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A more enclosed airline crate might make him feel less nervous rather than more. However, if he doesn't spend time in a crate on a regular basis why would he just accept it? For all he knows he's being punished for something. You leave, he gets crated. The association's wrong. A dog that regards a crate as a secure pleasant retreat den doesn't feel the need to escape it. Make it a place he can go in and out of when he wishes to. Do you give him anything to "work" on while crated? A puzzle toy with food? If you can confine him to a bedroom why not give him something distracting to work on while in there? Maybe your vet could suggest medication that could prevent anxiety/seizures before they start.

Both my dogs eat in their crates which are in the BR. Joey sleeps in his with his bed in there. Thus far he hasn't broken out at night, but I'm not counting on that lasting. Joey's seizures were violent and could be destructive. He hurt himself more than once so a crate seems a safer option especially when I'm gone.
Last week when he got out, he forced his way into my closet, pulled down my sweaters and laid on them. Does this mean he would like being enclosed in an airline crate? I don't know, but I think it's mostly being restrained that bothers him. Giving him a bone to chew on when I'm gone doesn't help. If a toy can be destroyed and swallowed, I wouldn't be able to give that to him when I'm gone. I'm retired and usually home except for when I go grocery shopping. I am reluctant to leave him outside, which he might like if the weather isn't too hot or too cold, but there are rattlesnakes, dog poisoners, wild animals, etc. so the dogs stay inside. He's also a power digger, and is intact because vets think it's not safe to neuter him because he is ill.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Both my dogs eat in their crates which are in the BR. Joey sleeps in his with his bed in there. Thus far he hasn't broken out at night, but I'm not counting on that lasting. Joey's seizures were violent and could be destructive. He hurt himself more than once so a crate seems a safer option especially when I'm gone.
Last week when he got out, he forced his way into my closet, pulled down my sweaters and laid on them. Does this mean he would like being enclosed in an airline crate? I don't know, but I think it's mostly being restrained that bothers him. Giving him a bone to chew on when I'm gone doesn't help. If a toy can be destroyed and swallowed, I wouldn't be able to give that to him when I'm gone. I'm retired and usually home except for when I go grocery shopping. I am reluctant to leave him outside, which he might like if the weather isn't too hot or too cold, but there are rattlesnakes, dog poisoners, wild animals, etc. so the dogs stay inside. He's also a power digger, and is intact because vets think it's not safe to neuter him because he is ill.
Sounds more like separation anxiety...which is different than being anxious confined in a crate. It also sounds as if you are as anxious about leaving as he is. Dogs pick up and feed off our anxieties. There are lots of articles about separation anxiety and lots of things you can do to deal with it.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Sounds more like separation anxiety...which is different than being anxious confined in a crate. It also sounds as if you are as anxious about leaving as he is. Dogs pick up and feed off our anxieties. There are lots of articles about separation anxiety and lots of things you can do to deal with it.

So this morning - he ate in his closed crate, opened the door, and laid down right outside it. I was in and out of the same room getting dressed, etc. Is that separation anxiety or some kind of anxiety about being enclosed?

Old 12-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
So this morning - he ate in his closed crate, opened the door, and laid down right outside it. I was in and out of the same room getting dressed, etc. Is that separation anxiety or some kind of anxiety about being enclosed?
Neither IMHO. He simply may have chosen to lie right outside the crate instead of inside it. Suspect you are overthinking this a bit.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:43 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
I would NOT use a Wire Crate for a dog like yours.... no matter Why the dog is doing this. Use an Airline Approved Crate they are Made to Protect a dog Even If the crate should Flip or Roll. Dog is Safe. Wire Crates can Break Legs teeth ribs even catch on collars & tags... they just Not safe! Which is why Airlines Don't allow shipping dogs in them.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Neither IMHO. He simply may have chosen to lie right outside the crate instead of inside it. Suspect you are overthinking this a bit.

Actually, I tend to think he does it just because he wants to, and because he knows how to do it now. But I thought maybe I was anthropomorphizing too much. He is a very smart dog.

He's my first intact male and I was also wondering if this sudden urge to be outside his crate might be because a nearby female, dog or coyote, was in heat. He's also recently become obsessed with cleaning up after my neutered male in the yard. I'm guessing the female won't be in heat forever and maybe he will calm down again?

Old 12-23-2019, 09:48 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Get him Fixed! Dogs with health problems should Not be bred & Yes it Will help calm him down.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Get him Fixed! Dogs with health problems should Not be bred & Yes it Will help calm him down.

I am not going to breed him. He has epilepsy and his vets have said it isn't safe to neuter him. I agree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs