Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 06:39 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

Flying southwest. Flying from Indy to Phoenix. 2 corgis. Already got pet carriers for them. Already informed SW and they made reservations for the pups. They are 9 months old.

Seeking advice, insights, angry comments, ridicule, etc. from people with experience on flying dogs. We've flown many times, but this is our first time taking our dogs with us.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 07:46 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
No experience, no comments, no advice. Just envy. I would love to be able to fly with my dog(s) - it would really open things up for us! But they are too big and I don't want them in cargo. (Not knocking the latter, but it seems like it's best to reserve that for emergencies, or no-other-options.)

Have a good trip!

Old 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
I have flown many times with the two different Maltese we've had (we only had one at a time). We frequently fly back and forth with a dog from our home in the states to where my husband is working outside the country.

You didn't say if it was a direct flight, but especially if you have a stop, Google to find out where the pet relief area is at that airport. You may even want to find the relief area of your home airport if it's a very long drive. Start that flight with an empty doggie bladder! In some airports, the area is past security, in others you have to go outside then go through security again.

I generally don't feed my dog before a flight, and I give limited water. I have not used a doggie diaper, but it's something to consider depending on how long your dog can hold it. I do put a couple layers of pee pads in the carrier just in case, but my dogs have never had an accident in the carrier.

Some people give Benadryl or other med to help their dog be calm and sleep. I haven't done that, but with our current Maltese I plan to ask our vet before our next flight. Our previous dog traveled beautifully, didn't care one bit if she was in a car, plane, whatever. But our new puppy Zita trembles and cries quite a bit before falling asleep. Having her favorite chew bone in the carrier helps somewhat, as does having extra-special treats like diced chicken breast.

Packing is tricky because the dog goes where one of my carry-on items would normally go. So I use a VERY small purse (with bare essentials) that I stick inside the dog carrier while boarding (because you can be carrying ONLY two items when boarding; everything else of course has to go in my carry-on suitcase that goes in the overhead bin.

On most planes the aisle seat has much smaller under-seat space than middle or window seats. I'm not sure our carrier would even fit there. Of course with your flight being Southwest, you will pick your seat after boarding, unless you pay extra.

I just flew with Zita last week by myself (first time without my husband). I had a window seat, and I was sooo worried about what I would do if I had to use the plane's bathroom during flight. I knew Zita would WAIL if I got up and left her alone, but it would hard to wiggle her out of her carrier and get past my neighboring middle- and aisle-seat passengers! I truly fretted to the point of barely sleeping the night before my flight! Thankfully we made it ok, but I hope to never travel alone with a dog again.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
IF they are in Cargo PLEASE Don't Fly with them! FREEZING temps Can Kill them! Check Whole Route Weather.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,531,425 times
We have flown with our Maltese. Because they are 5 and 10lbs we put them in the same carrier. I put them in it every day a few weeks before leaving and carried them around the house so they would be used to it.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:26 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF they are in Cargo PLEASE Don't Fly with them! FREEZING temps Can Kill them! Check Whole Route Weather.
I assumed OP meant s/he was taking the dogs on the plane with her, and I made a long response accordingly. Now re-reading it, it's not clear if the dogs will be in cabin or in cargo. Good warning about checking temps.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:38 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I assumed OP meant s/he was taking the dogs on the plane with her, and I made a long response accordingly. Now re-reading it, it's not clear if the dogs will be in cabin or in cargo. Good warning about checking temps.
Doubt very much that any airline would permit one passenger bringing more than one pet in the cabin unless they were very small puppies or kittens in the same carrier. Again, you'd have to check with that specific airline. Its pretty late in the game to be asking all this OP. The "weekend" starts in two days. If the temperatures tank before your trip you'll need to be prepared to bail on the flight. The airline could impose a pet embargo due to weather too, so be aware. FWIW, I've flown with multiple dogs and other pets in winter and haven't had any problems. If its going to be cold I put a blanket in the crate or put a chew proof gel heat pack underneath the pad in the bottom. I'm not as concerned with the temps in the pet cargo area of a normal high altitude pressurized jet as I am with exposure sitting on baggage carts. Its wind chill that kills, not stable less cold air. If the flight is on a lower altitude non-pressurized commuter-type aircraft I don't fly pets in winter.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No, we're going to tie them to the back of the plane. It's free. Cargo costs money!

I joke I joke. They'll be in the cabin area with us. We've been taking them to our office everyday inside their carriers and they've been just fine in there.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Doubt very much that any airline would permit one passenger bringing more than one pet in the cabin unless they were very small puppies or kittens in the same carrier. Again, you'd have to check with that specific airline. Its pretty late in the game to be asking all this OP. The "weekend" starts in two days. If the temperatures tank before your trip you'll need to be prepared to bail on the flight. The airline could impose a pet embargo due to weather too, so be aware. FWIW, I've flown with multiple dogs and other pets in winter and haven't had any problems. If its going to be cold I put a blanket in the crate or put a chew proof gel heat pack underneath the pad in the bottom. I'm not as concerned with the temps in the pet cargo area of a normal high altitude pressurized jet as I am with exposure sitting on baggage carts. Its wind chill that kills, not stable less cold air. If the flight is on a lower altitude non-pressurized commuter-type aircraft I don't fly pets in winter.
Husband and I are going. So, we each carry a dog. They're corgis so they should fit right under the seat in front of us.

Edit.

We'll miss our 120 pound great dane mix a lot. We really want to start taking him onto vacation with us but we don't want to risk putting him into the cargo area.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:15 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...Qyb?li=BBnb7Kz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs