Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times

Advertisements

Dashdog, is that trail around the lake the one marketed as the “mile of smiles”? It is also described as good for birding, but lots of unleashed and unruly dogs would not be good for that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 03:32 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,563,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Dashdog, is that trail around the lake the one marketed as the “mile of smiles”? It is also described as good for birding, but lots of unleashed and unruly dogs would not be good for that at all.
I have never heard it marketed as the "mile of smiles" but it is a good birding spot so lots of bird watchers walking around . I see lots of different types of birds when we walk there. For many years it was like a secret place or people went out to it only to see the historical house or train depot. They are on one edge of the property ( the property had belonged to the owners years ago and was donated with the terms that it was kept natural and he had been a lawyer for the old Southern pacific railroad) there is a an old train depot that is a train museum now and has a small scale train that gives rides in a loop around the station so lots of kids parties.

Once you walk down the long driveway into the lake and field area you feel like you are in the middle of no where and I use to see very few people and when I would tell people I walked the dogs at the lake, people who have lived here many years would say Lake? You drove up to Cachuma? I would say no to Lake Los Caneros and no one ever knew where I was talking about as they did not know about the little lake well actually I would call it a large pond as it was the water reservoir for the lemon orchard the past owners had.

My dog Jazz and I actually made front page of a small local paper that did a story about the lake years ago. The photographer came up and asked if he could walk with us and take some photos of us for the article and talk tome about the lake for some quotes. It was kind of funny as when the article came out I had doctors at work say " Hey I saw you and your dog on the front page".. our moment of fame

Sadly more people know about it now and very few keep dogs on leash there despite all the signs saying dogs must be kept on leash. If they were under the owners control and the owner kept them from getting in others faces or is they leashed them when they saw other dogs or people I would not mind so much but very few are under that control or get put back on leash around others. I had one race a great distance owner calling it the whole time and it not so much as glancing at her come jumped on top of Chaos who was just recovering from a back injury. The dog was not aggressive but was trying to play. I told the owner to come get her dog and when she did she says ' he never does this as he always comes when called" yeah right That makes me mad as at least be honest and do not lie about it.

Anyway it is a great walking spot and this is the first time I have run into a dog walker there usually we see them at other places and only have tp deal with individuals with a dog or two at the lake.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
That is the lake. I’ve never been there. Literally just before I read your post yesterday I had just skimmed through a promo booklet for Goleta, and the lake is described by a lifelong resident as mile of smiles. The birding was mentioned earlier in the booklet.

So it is being heavily marketed, if it was not already. My husband might go there (to bird) when he works in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs