Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 06:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times

Advertisements

Sorry I have to vent. If you know me you know I am a huge dog lover and all for off leash exercise for dogs but I also feel dog owners should be considerate of other people and dogs. Years ago I helped out with a local group that is responsible for the leash free areas we have here and we have several including a leash free ocean beach.

That said I had the dogs out at a local small lake that has a nice walking trail around it and is heavily posted that dogs need to be on leashes. My dogs were on leash and we were enjoying a nice relaxing walk, puppy was calm and being a good walker instead of annoying poor Chaos. We were approaching a turn in the trail that leads down to a bridge that goes over the marsh end of the lake and has lots of bushes that makes it difficult to see if others are coming up the trail. Suddenly a large red lab type dog appeared and started coming towards us, no owner in sight yet, then suddenly a whole group of dogs ( 8 total) appeared started barking and running towards us. Chaos has gotten grumpy in old age and does not like off leash dogs getting in her face when she is leashed and Puppy Zephyr gets very excited and crazy. So these dogs are charging us barking and still no human in sight and Chaos is reacting and Zephyr is a bit afraid and suddenly a lady appears at the top of the trail and starts calling dogs but most ignored her so it took lots of calling to get them to come and god forbid she come grab some of them nope she just stayed where she was a called them . She looks at me and says " Oh do you want to pass?" When I said yes as we are headed that way" she gives me this annoyed look and starts putting leashes on some of the dogs that had finally gone back to her. At that point I had to bite my tongue as there were no nice words wanting to come out of me and I did not want to ruin my walk even further so I walked past and continued my walk.

I am pretty certain this person is a dog walker but wonder do people know these dog walker are walking groups of dogs sometimes even more then the 8 this lady had off leash in areas that require leashes? Do they also know how dangerous that is to have one person responsible for 8 unleashed dogs? Our leash free parks set down rules no more then 3 dogs per person for a reason. I can bet this dog walker as not cleaning up after the dogs as she probably does not even see most of them poop . I am so tired of running into these dog walkers with packs of leash free dogs as they do not have control of them and often when I see them they are looking for a dog that has wandered off. One day the dog the guy was looking for was running down the road a block away! Not safe. We do have leash laws here but not enough animal control workers to be out on the many trails we do have so rarely do these people get caught. ERRR I am asking around to see if I can find out who this dog walkers is but not sure I will have any luck as there are so many here. If I was paying $20 for a dog walk I would not want my dogs being walked like that as I would want the person to be more responsible with my dog...… Ok venting has helped some now it is time to get ready for a crazy night at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 06:50 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I could rant with you for hours on this one, it's a chronic problem where I live.

One of the popular dog walkers here has lost 3 dogs in the past year, that we know of, we found two safe but the third has never been located after more than 9 months. Some how she is still in business, she'll never be allowed anywhere near my dogs.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:28 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
That type of person is responsible for getting areas closed to dogs.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:53 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,995 times
A dog park in my area was closed for months because of a similar situation.

We use a service and our dog walker is not allowed to have the dogs she walks off leash. Taking several dogs to the dog park is a separate service that they offer to people who choose this option, but even then it's not going to be 8 dogs per person. I am sure the owners of these dogs have no idea what's going on.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
A dog park in my area was closed for months because of a similar situation.

We use a service and our dog walker is not allowed to have the dogs she walks off leash. Taking several dogs to the dog park is a separate service that they offer to people who choose this option, but even then it's not going to be 8 dogs per person. I am sure the owners of these dogs have no idea what's going on.
That is what I am thinking too as who would allow their dog to be off leash in an unfenced area with one person watching 8+ dogs? I feel that way about dog parks too as when I had 3 dogs it was difficult keeping tract of them all at the dog park and Chaos and Dazzle were always with each other but Phoenix did not really like playing but loved saying hello to everyone human and dog so was all over the place so watching them was not that easy so I can not imagine even more dogs.

Oregonsmokewood I agree with you they end up ruining it for others, our one park has hours 8-10 AM and 3 PM to sunset but people will come at 1 PM 2 PM and it pisses the people that live around it off as the county promised them it would not be an all day thing, I do not think these people even stop and think they may end up being responsible if it the county decides to close that dog park as they just do what they want and do not care about rules as they do not apply to them.

Dogmama50 wow they have lost dogs and people still trust them with their dog? That is crazy!

Old 01-12-2020, 07:04 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
How does a person even get 8 dogs in a car at the same time?

I don't understand the comments about limited hours at a fenced in dog park. What is the point of limited hours?

Old 01-12-2020, 07:29 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
.......I don't understand the comments about limited hours at a fenced in dog park. What is the point of limited hours?

I would assume to limit the hours of noise and to limit the irritation to close-by neighbors.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would assume to limit the hours of noise and to limit the irritation to close-by neighbors.
Bingo! The dog park is on a neighborhood open green spot. it is now fenced.The neighbors that live around it tend to hate it being there so the county put the limited hours on it so there are some hours of the day the people do not have to put up with dogs, noise and even all the cars. But as I said there are people that think those rules do not apply to them and rather then go the the even bigger dog park about a mile away that is from 8AM to Sunset they go to the one with limited hours and use it during the hours that off leash dogs are not to be in there. you can have a leashed dog in there during those non dog park hours but not off leash dogs. It does threaten the park as those people in the neighborhood get pissed and complain to the county.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:43 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Sorry I have to vent. If you know me you know I am a huge dog lover and all for off leash exercise for dogs but I also feel dog owners should be considerate of other people and dogs. Years ago I helped out with a local group that is responsible for the leash free areas we have here and we have several including a leash free ocean beach.

That said I had the dogs out at a local small lake that has a nice walking trail around it and is heavily posted that dogs need to be on leashes. My dogs were on leash and we were enjoying a nice relaxing walk, puppy was calm and being a good walker instead of annoying poor Chaos. We were approaching a turn in the trail that leads down to a bridge that goes over the marsh end of the lake and has lots of bushes that makes it difficult to see if others are coming up the trail. Suddenly a large red lab type dog appeared and started coming towards us, no owner in sight yet, then suddenly a whole group of dogs ( 8 total) appeared started barking and running towards us. Chaos has gotten grumpy in old age and does not like off leash dogs getting in her face when she is leashed and Puppy Zephyr gets very excited and crazy. So these dogs are charging us barking and still no human in sight and Chaos is reacting and Zephyr is a bit afraid and suddenly a lady appears at the top of the trail and starts calling dogs but most ignored her so it took lots of calling to get them to come and god forbid she come grab some of them nope she just stayed where she was a called them . She looks at me and says " Oh do you want to pass?" When I said yes as we are headed that way" she gives me this annoyed look and starts putting leashes on some of the dogs that had finally gone back to her. At that point I had to bite my tongue as there were no nice words wanting to come out of me and I did not want to ruin my walk even further so I walked past and continued my walk.

I am pretty certain this person is a dog walker but wonder do people know these dog walker are walking groups of dogs sometimes even more then the 8 this lady had off leash in areas that require leashes? Do they also know how dangerous that is to have one person responsible for 8 unleashed dogs? Our leash free parks set down rules no more then 3 dogs per person for a reason. I can bet this dog walker as not cleaning up after the dogs as she probably does not even see most of them poop . I am so tired of running into these dog walkers with packs of leash free dogs as they do not have control of them and often when I see them they are looking for a dog that has wandered off. One day the dog the guy was looking for was running down the road a block away! Not safe. We do have leash laws here but not enough animal control workers to be out on the many trails we do have so rarely do these people get caught. ERRR I am asking around to see if I can find out who this dog walkers is but not sure I will have any luck as there are so many here. If I was paying $20 for a dog walk I would not want my dogs being walked like that as I would want the person to be more responsible with my dog...… Ok venting has helped some now it is time to get ready for a crazy night at work.
LORD, I could go on about this for hours on end. I'm sick to death of these idiots who walk dogs off leash in areas where the dogs are supposed to be leashed. And even if they are allowed off leash, the damn dog should be under their control, not barrelling towards another dog, barking, snarling, carrying on, whatever.

Before I start on my own rant, I would not advise anyone to use a dog walker. Not only do owners not know what other dogs their dog will come in contact with, and what may happen without a proper introduction, they walker who likes to walk them off leash can lose a dog, the dog could drown, the dog could be hit by a car, the dog could get hurt by an animal (if walked in the great outdoors), it could eat something off of the ground (like an old cooked bone - see those on the ground more often than I should), could slip off of an embankment, cliff, whatever because most dog walkers aren't certified in any way, shape, or form regarding training.

Not only that, if you have a way that you want your dog walked, you have certain commands that you're teaching or have taught your dog, you're allowing someone to walk them that probably won't follow what you're doing, and consistency flies right out the window.

Rant:

The other day, I had another beach day with the boy. We were having a great day. Suddenly, all of these idiots started showing up with their dogs, off leash. You're not allowed to have your dogs off leash on this beach. One dog started coming towards us, and I yelled at it that it better back off or I'll attack it myself. Smart dog, Aussie type dog, totally read my body language and decided to go chase another dog on the beach, instead.

I decided our day was over, was walking back towards the car, almost to the steps up to the parking, when a lady came down with 2 of her dogs. They were both on leash. I patiently waited at a distance, about 100 meters away, because my boy is not down with other dogs since other dogs have not treated him well. I was even going to tell her, when she got away from the steps, "thank you" for being courteous and following the fricken law by having her dogs on leash.

But no.

The moment that she stepped off the last step and onto the beach, she bent over and unleashed one of her dogs.

Guess what happened.

Take one wild guess.

The second that dog was off leash, he raced over towards us, barking and carrying on, and my boy went crazy. I knew there was about to be a fight, and my only retreat was into the ocean. Fully fricken clothed, I had to go out into the ocean to keep that damn dog away from my boy.

I said those unkind words that you didn't want to say above. "You stupid B! WT(not H) is wrong with you? How stupid are you? Do you not care about your own dog? Do you not realize that your dog was about to be in a major fight because of your stupidity you dumb (censored)? How is it possible to be that stupid?!"

Yes, I was pissed.

That was just 2 dogs, and apparently her own.

A dog walker is not going to have control over all of those dogs, leashed or not. I don't believe in dog walkers because most of them don't know jack squat about dogs. The very fact that they think that they can walk 8 at a time tells me that they know jack squat about dogs. They put those dogs, other dogs, other animals, children, and adults in danger because all they care about is making as much money with as little effort as possible. THAT is why they walk 8 at a time. "Just do them all at once and then I can go home and sit on my fat butt".

A good dog walker would take one dog at a time, OR, possibly, 2 dogs if the dogs were from the same household and were normally walked together. A good dog walker would NOT take out 8 at a fricken time.

Remember: 3 dogs makes a pack. That dog walker does not have the connection with the dogs to be the leader of that pack - considering that a lot of times, the 'pack' changes from day to day, or time of day. So the dogs will take over - will be the pack, will have a leader, and it won't be the imbecilic dog walker.

I'm seriously going to invest in a GoPro, strap that thing on every time I take the boy out so I have video evidence in the future. Then I can contact the authorities, they can use that video, and then I will sue the snot out of every moronic off leash twit who has no control over their dog until I make a dent, become wealthy...or both.

I am so fricken tired of people who own dogs who know nothing about dogs.

I was asked, "Why are you like this?" Really? REALLY? Did you not just see your dog come after us the moment you let if off leash? Did your dog listen to you when you feebly called its name? Was your dog under your control at all times, allowing others to enjoy the beach, unassaulted?

And you want to know "why am I like this"?

FRICKEN REALLY?!

Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Commercial group dog walkers should be licensed, not just dogs.

There was a state park I often went to walk, bike, watch birds, photograph, paddle, and camp in. Dog walkers, both commercial and individual owners, all too frequently violated the leash law. There was one off-leash area originally intended for genuine training. It turned into a free-for-all doggonzo mosh pit, and it kept illegally expanding its bounds. One dog owner called it the junkyard-dog park because it was overrun with untrained and not-going-to-be-trained pets. Those junkyard-dog owners were confused about the distinction between socialization and training.

The entire area reeked of dog excreta, both picked-up and not. I heard laments from responsible dog owners that they picked up other people’s dogs’ poop because the owners did not.

There was one woman I repeatedly saw taking dogs on leash to an area far from the off-leash area, where she apparently thought rangers never patrolled nor other people went. She would get to the first large rock or other obstruction, look around, and then bend down behind it to let them all off leash. Her vehicle had decals all over it claiming to be a professional dog-walking service. If she saw a ranger heading toward her, she would hide, start calling the dogs, and then attach the leashes.

I bet she told her customers lies about what she was doing for her “work,” which consisted merely of transporting dogs to an unauthorized area and letting them run loose.

I never used a group dog walker at all, and when we went on vacation we either hired a neighbor who knew the dogs and could be trusted to keep them leashed, or we put the dogs in a boarding kennel whose manager who kept all the dogs safe both from external threats (in this area, it was mountain lions) and from internal ones, namely dog fights.

There is no way one person can walk 8 dogs well, either on or off leash. Four dogs per arm? Good luck with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs