Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 AM

32,493 posts, read 47,447,506 times

Advertisements

I did a google and it looks like you can go to A&E's website and watch it for free.

It's worth the time to watch for anyone interested in dog training. Or just some fast paced fun. it's like American Ninja Warrior, but for dogs. Although in the dog version, they are very careful to not have any exercises the dogs aren't trained for and they are very careful to not get the dogs hurt.

I cheer for my breed. So far, the Malinois are the fastest workers, but the German shepherds beat them on time because the German Shepherds are quick to "out" on the take down and the Malinois want to hang in there and not let go.

So far, there was a wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a brilliant border collie, and previews with a very fast glimpse of what looks like it might be a Catahoula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,321,792 times
I love watching dogs work. Shepherds, police dogs, it's all good.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,423,894 times
In the Police and military K 9 world, the dogs are variously described as a " fur missile mark 4 " and criminal retrieval and recovery agent.

Seriously, the cost of fully training a dog to it's maximum abilities, is around $20,000 and the course takes about a year, from the 8 month old teenage goofy pup, to a adult working dog. Most dog breeds are not suited for the work, due to a lack of work ethic, or because they are not strong enough to meet the job requirements. A greyhound can out run a GSD over a short distance, but good luck trying to get that greyhound to scent track a person. A beagle can run for hours following a fox or a cougar, but they are not good at bite work.

The secret to K9 training is to make it all a game, and let the dog win at the game. Reward can be verbal praise, or their favorite chew toy. GSD's are so hard on their toys that some handlers make one from a six inch section of old canvas fire hose. They stuff it with rags, and attach a short rope for a handle.

The dogs LOVE to come to work. If they don't go to work while " The Boss " is on days off....they get cranky.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:04 PM

962 posts, read 606,938 times
I enjoy the show. I love to see well trained dogs.

I have 2 working line German Shepherds, and have spent over $30,000 on training. We don't do any tracking, but their bite work and obedience is exceptional- dare I say better than any of the dogs I've seen on the show?

Both are very athletic, love to work, and have the confidence, courage, temperament to do anything asked of them. They like to watch the show with me.

But again, we don't do any tracking work (2 out of 3 isn't good enough).

Old 01-27-2020, 06:50 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,347,650 times
Wonderful to watch these dogs. I can't help but think that in the final task, the take down of a suspect the dog would not release until the handler or some other human took direct control of the suspect, not release and return to the handler standing some distance away.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:36 AM

962 posts, read 606,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Wonderful to watch these dogs. I can't help but think that in the final task, the take down of a suspect the dog would not release until the handler or some other human took direct control of the suspect, not release and return to the handler standing some distance away.
A well trained protection dog will release INSTANTLY when the handler instructs them to do so.

We work on this all the time with our dogs.

Teaching a dog to bite is easy. Having complete voice control over the dog during bite work is extremely difficult, and takes a lot of work. I hate to see a dog that will bite on command, but won't release when told to do so. Too many police dogs are poorly trained in this area.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:24 AM

32,493 posts, read 47,447,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
....... I can't help but think that in the final task, the take down of a suspect the dog would not release until the handler or some other human took direct control of the suspect, not release and return to the handler standing some distance away.

In the real world, with the arrest of a dangerous suspect, the dog is called off so that the other officers can go in and grab the suspect without any danger of an excited dog grabbing them by mistake in a crowded situation. They also need to move the suspect around and the dogs are trained to keep on biting until the suspect is still and stops resisting.

So, the dog is called off and the other officers move in.

By that time, the suspect knows that the dog will be right back if he runs or resists, so he will stay still after the dog releases.

It would be extremely rare for a dog handler to be making an arrest of a dangerous suspect when he is all alone except for his dog. If he is making a normal stop and cite or even an arrest, the dog stays in the car with the window open and leaps out to aid only when needed.

If there is a dangerous suspect and the canine officer has no back-up, the dog releases but only goes as far as the handler, so the dog would be right there, almost touching the suspect while the cuffs were put on.

There is also a "watch" command where the dog sits and stares at the suspect and will attack automatically if the suspect moves. That is used when the canine officer is all alone without backup.

Once a suspect surrenders to the dog, he won't start fighting again while the dog is right there.

In an arrest, the dog hander would not be at a distance, he would be close. The dogs are trained to release and run back at a distance to make them more reliable.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:03 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,347,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In the real world, with the arrest of a dangerous suspect, the dog is called off so that the other officers can go in and grab the suspect without any danger of an excited dog grabbing them by mistake in a crowded situation. They also need to move the suspect around and the dogs are trained to keep on biting until the suspect is still and stops resisting.

So, the dog is called off and the other officers move in.

By that time, the suspect knows that the dog will be right back if he runs or resists, so he will stay still after the dog releases.

It would be extremely rare for a dog handler to be making an arrest of a dangerous suspect when he is all alone except for his dog. If he is making a normal stop and cite or even an arrest, the dog stays in the car with the window open and leaps out to aid only when needed.

If there is a dangerous suspect and the canine officer has no back-up, the dog releases but only goes as far as the handler, so the dog would be right there, almost touching the suspect while the cuffs were put on.

There is also a "watch" command where the dog sits and stares at the suspect and will attack automatically if the suspect moves. That is used when the canine officer is all alone without backup.

Once a suspect surrenders to the dog, he won't start fighting again while the dog is right there.

In an arrest, the dog hander would not be at a distance, he would be close. The dogs are trained to release and run back at a distance to make them more reliable.
Now that it's been explained in more detail it makes lots of sense to me. Glad to learn more about the topic. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,959,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
It's a dog that's all it is and will never be anything more than a dog. It doesn't know it's in any danger a dog doesn't know what danger is. People want to make these these police and military dogs sound human. It's nothing but lower animal life that's doing what hours of training has trained it to do. The military dog doesn't have a clue that land mine will blow it up, That police dog doesn't have a clue that person it's attacking can kill it. It's a dog and will never be anything more.
You've obviously never worked with a working dog before. If you had, you would know better. It isn't the training - it is in their blood, their instinct, their intelligence, and the way they think. Many of these dogs will know more, without training, about how to do things they are asked to do than their humans do. Much of what service dogs do is training, but you're often not training like you do in obedience class. In obedience class you are giving the dog a behavior, and teaching the dog to comply. In a working situation, you are taking basic instinct and knowledge and SHAPING it. It is not the same.

It isn't human intelligence or thinking. Yeah, people seem to often look at it as though it was, but it isn't. Regardless, though, they DO understand danger. Can they imagine, the way a human can, so they can visualize the damage a land mine will do? We have no way of knowing. A human doesn't have to experience a land mine to recognize danger. But after they have, their appreciation of that danger is guaranteed to be more than it was. Dogs are the same. They are capable of understanding pain, and injury, and danger.

"It's a dog and will never be anything more." Yup, and you're just a human, and will never be anything more. So, not all that different from the dog, eh?

Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,126,671 times
People need to understand, that the Malinois and Dutch Shepherds you seeing are not your typical "AKC" or "FCI" confirmation dogs, which would make better pets, (Dutchies are not currently recognized by the AKC). These dogs are all KNPV type dogs that for the most part are NOT pets! If you don't work them both physically and mentally for hours every day (not a 15 minute walk) they can be very hard to live with. People see these shows and think, "They are so smart, I really want one of them!" Within a short period of time they find out these dogs consume their life!

That said, I am getting a new Dutch in about 4 weeks but I've been around serious working dogs for years and have the time and energy to devote.

As far as being "just a dog," that is technically correct, however they are more intelligent than some people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs