U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 04:36 PM

466 posts, read 536,662 times

Advertisements

I have been reading negative reviews lately about this brand. There seems to be concerns over both the treats and the dry kibble. Can anyone please provide information regarding their dog and cat treats and kibble? TIA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 05:34 PM

27,705 posts, read 37,446,469 times
Read the label. Compare to other brands. Decide which one you want to feed to your dog. Maybe put in a couple of hours of study about canine nutrition, if you think it is important what your dog eats.

Going by the label, it looks like typical dog food to me.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:41 PM

15,021 posts, read 8,602,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
I have been reading negative reviews lately about this brand. There seems to be concerns over both the treats and the dry kibble. Can anyone please provide information regarding their dog and cat treats and kibble? TIA!
You can find negative reviews about pretty much any food if you look hard enough. Dogs differ too. What might be great for one may not suit another. All I can relate is personal experience. I can't get most of the super premium dog foods due to location. Blue Buffalo and one other high end Canadian food I can't recall the name of at the moment are carried by one local source. When I first moved here I tried the Canadian food but it didn't agree with my dog's gut. So, switched to BB. She's been eating it for 9 years. She is healthy and fit according to her vet. I assume, but can't prove, she would be less so if I fed her garbage.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:55 AM

1,097 posts, read 946,080 times
File this under "for what it's worth" but we had our very healthy elderly dog on Blue (though now I cannot remember if it was BUFFALO, or just the Blue kibble, I think the latter) for over a year, and then she started to show signs of early kidney disease. (This was NOT a grain-free kibble, just to rule that whole set of issues out here.) When emailing with a vet friend of mine, she wrote the following -- purely anecdotal, as she admits freely, but it's some information to consider:

"The kidney values are not terrifying, but are definitely concerning. I think the diet change away from Blue could be very helpful. I have had dogs with crazy renal values and weirdness that started when they started Blue food and went away without other intervention when they stopped. Can't prove it, though...."

Old 02-04-2020, 05:54 PM

5,766 posts, read 2,868,765 times
DogFoodAdvisor contains reviews, labels and other information about the different brands (so you don't have to stand in the store to read the labels).

My big concern now is an FDA study recently found that grain-free dogfood is causing heart disease in dogs. Now it's hard to find a brand that actually has grains in it.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 AM

143 posts, read 114,208 times
In 2014 Purina sent samples of Blue Buffalo to an independent lab for testing. The lab found chicken byproduct meal. Purina sued Blue Buffalo for false advertising. Blue Buffalo eventually admitted there was poultry byproduct meal in many of their foods. They argued they had no way of knowing what their food contained. I will never feed Blue Buffalo. During the time this was going on I tried one of their foods for my dog with a serious chicken allergy. It is not something I ever wish to repeat.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:07 AM

18,133 posts, read 37,078,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
DogFoodAdvisor contains reviews, labels and other information about the different brands (so you don't have to stand in the store to read the labels).

My big concern now is an FDA study recently found that grain-free dogfood is causing heart disease in dogs. Now it's hard to find a brand that actually has grains in it.
I don't buy 'grain free', but I do make sure there's no corn in it, since I have a dog allergic to corn.

Personally I use Gentle Giants, and my dogs have done well on it.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:56 AM

3,738 posts, read 3,367,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Taste of the Wild with Ancient grains. I could say my dogs love it, but they are Malamutes, they love all food.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:18 PM

5,766 posts, read 2,868,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't buy 'grain free', but I do make sure there's no corn in it, since I have a dog allergic to corn.

Personally I use Gentle Giants, and my dogs have done well on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Taste of the Wild with Ancient grains. I could say my dogs love it, but they are Malamutes, they love all food.
Thank you both. Looks like 2 good recommendations. We had been using Taste of the Wild. I didn't know about their Ancient Grains line.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 PM

20,393 posts, read 5,629,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaynes288 View Post
In 2014 Purina sent samples of Blue Buffalo to an independent lab for testing. The lab found chicken byproduct meal. Purina sued Blue Buffalo for false advertising. Blue Buffalo eventually admitted there was poultry byproduct meal in many of their foods. They argued they had no way of knowing what their food contained. I will never feed Blue Buffalo. During the time this was going on I tried one of their foods for my dog with a serious chicken allergy. It is not something I ever wish to repeat.

I was feeding my old, blind dog with heart failure Blue Buffalo...my vet told me to throw that dog food away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs