Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 551 times

Advertisements

Dog parks are probably the best place for a dog, other than the home. Dogs, more than any other pets, love to run free and play off-leash, and a dog park is a fenced area for large and small dogs, built just for that purpose.

What should I know before heading to the dog park?
For pet owners, these parks are a valuable dog-friendly resource. They provide a secure place to exercise and socialize while connecting you instantly with a local community of dog-friendly pet parents. Make sure to start in the leash area and progress to going leash-free.

You can have a chat with fellow dog lovers while your pet socializes in its way. Your dog will be running with no leash, making friends, and generally enjoying the time.

Along with the joy and excitement, new pet parents heading to the pet park for the first time may find off-leash play more like work. It's essential to understand park etiquette before setting foot within the gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 12:35 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Dog parks are not the best situation for every dog. Three of the four dogs I've owned would have hated dog parks partially because of other clueless dog owners assuming everything will be hunky dory with their poorly socialized, poorly trained little darlings. Gross generalities can be dangerous. If you are going to regurgitate things like this at least include a link to information on how to prepare your dog for dog park interaction properly. You didn't bother to do that

Old 04-14-2020, 01:07 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,647 times
Dog parks in many areas are closed right now for Covid-19.

Very true, Parnassia. My dog doesn't mind playing with a friend or two but entering a park and having a pack of excited dogs run up to him is too much. Even letting him see the situation through the fence before does not help. It would be nice if the people already in the park moved their dogs away from the gate to let the newcomers settle.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
My vet is unalterably opposed to my taking Bella to a dog park. Dogfights and exposure to disease are the two reasons she mentioned.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:09 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I stay out of dog parks. Too dangerous.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:05 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
I'm not a fan of dog parks, too many people not paying attention and not taking responsibility.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:15 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
I can think of no good reason to take a dog to a "dog park." Too many things can (and do) go wrong.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:37 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Dog parks can be a pleasant experience for you and your dog, or unpleasant. It depends on your powers of observation, your dog's personality, and the character of other dogs (and their owners).

If you take your dog to a dog park, you must be prepared to (1)pick up after your dog; (2)put your cellphone away and concentrate on what your dog is doing and what his/her body language is when interacting with other dogs (and what their body language is when they meet your dog). Is your dog enjoying running around with other dogs; or does he/she tuck tail and try to hide behind your leg. If your dog is pushed around by another dog, does your dog jump back up and pursue further interaction with the dog, or run away or seek your support. (worst thing you can do, by the way; unless you really fear for your dog's life, is lift your dog up in your arms in front of other dogs; they will react as if you are withholding a toy they want, and injuries could result. If other dogs are bullying your dog, leash your dog, stand between him/her and the other dogs, and start heading for the gate; and ask the other dogs' owners to hold their dogs until you leave)

I have found dog parks to be mostly congenial places. Are they perfect? No. Anytime you have your dog off-leash in a public area, you are taking a risk. I have found that the benefits, in the case of my dog, outweigh the risk; particularly since we don't have a yard of our own. He's very polite towards most dogs, and is happy to walk away from a confrontation; and some of that came from socialization at dog parks to dogs larger and smaller than himself. And now that my dog is elderly and has become deaf; I am glad to have a place where I can safely unleash him.

My dog has been bullied a few times as a pup; without any injury. It didn't bother him. He was nipped by a dog whose out-of-state owner was stopping in with her dog; the nip broke skin but there was no infection or need for veterinary care. (my dog has also been nipped, with two small punctures, when his dog walker was walking him on-leash, by another leashed dog who pulled free of her owner to attack my dog; so it's not as if the only time my dog has ever been bitten was at a dog park)

An ideal dog park would be grassy and large, i.e. at least a half-acre, and be fenced, with waste baskets and water fountains. The smaller ones will force more closeness on the dogs, not much room to put distance between dogs who might dislike each other (or one dog not liking the other).

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:32 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I don’t like the idea of them. Fortunately, I’ve always had a yard for my dogs.

Imagine you are a dog, who only lives with humans. You get taken to this place, with the smells of 1000 other dogs, and there are 12 other dogs of different temperaments coming at you, and sniffing you.

Does this sound like fun? Not to me. Maybe, if my dog had truly no place else to ever run free, and the dog park was big, I’d go there, but otherwise, no.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
It really depends on the dog and owner. I take my puppy who is 9 months to one ( or did before they closed it due to Covid) as he is a sighthound and needs to be able to really run in a safe secure large place. He gets along well with other dogs and if there is a dog that is a bit of a bully he stays way from them or comes to me. I go twice a week at the same time of day as there is a regular group that meets there those days at that time so the dogs all know each other and play well, occasionally a new dog comes in but often it is just the regulars.

Chaos is 9 now and no longer enjoys rude young dogs in her face so she no longer goes but when she was younger she went ever day at the same time as once again it tended to be a regular group that would be there. But after a back injury from falling off of an agility dog walk ( but not showing any signs of injury) the injury became worse after playing with her friends and as a result she stopped enjoying going to the dog park as I think she associates it with the pain she had. Her back is fine now and has been so for years but because she was being grumpy with strange dogs ( usually the young ones that want to play hard) I quit taking her. The two days a week Zephyr and I go she is home with her stuffed kong.

Dog parks are not for every dog or even every owner so if you are a nervous person that does not understand that yes dogs play using their mouth then probably you will not enjoy it.If your dog is under socialized or fearful of other dogs they will not enjoy it. I hate seeing people drag a dog in that is showing every sign of not wanting to be there, The owner saying " Oh I am trying to socialize him by bringing him here" When someone makes a comment about how unhappy and stressed out their dog is.. A dog park is not the place to socialize a dog but rather a place for already socialized dogs to play. Socialize your dog with nice dogs that belong to friends or family or even in a dog class first.

And yes I have seen aggressive dogs that do not belong in the dog park at the dog park and have seen dogs injured so if you go to a dog park you must understand it is not without risk and you must pay attention to your dog. Do not sit and get so involved in conversation on or off your phone that you are not watching your dog or even better bring in a book and sit and read it. Do not take food in either as I have seen so many idiots do that and cause dog fits because of that.

I am blessed as I also have a couple beaches and a pasture that I can take my dogs too and let then run off leash when there are no other dogs around. The puppy is off leash at the beach when we are not around anyone but I have yet to let him run at the pasture yet as unlike the beach it does not have big cliffs that sort of act like a fence. Though today at the beach he did get to run with another puppy his age and when the people started leaving the dogs were playing chase moving along with them so I let him get a distance from me then called him and without hesitation he stopped playing and flew down the beach to me so his recall is getting pretty solid! Being a sight hound puppy he needs the running to build his muscles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs