U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:44 AM

34,722 posts, read 54,541,266 times

Advertisements

We had our schnauzer girl cross the rainbow bridge at the end of June
Looking for a new min schnauzer puppy and apparently things have changed a lot since we found her almost 16 yrs ago—
I am amazed at some of the weird breeding I am finding at “breeders” advertising min schnauzers
Now they have “liver colored” and “parti colored” dogs w/blue eyes
Definitely not schnauzer traits even if they say the dogs can be registered

Does anyone know of a reputable breeder within 200 miles of Tampa area—
We are hour south of Tampa now and will be here for several more months
Would love to have a puppy used to us before we go back to TX
I want to see the puppy before we buy and hopefully the parents like we did all our dogs but that doesn’t seem to be the way it is done now—-
Apparently min schnauzer puppies are at a premium any time and CoVid has made it much more difficult

I have tried contacting some via FB messaging and got one reply
But when I checked her site she has only liver colored dogs and I want a traditional schnauzer so think that won’t come to much

Any suggestions appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 AM

13,595 posts, read 36,823,878 times
Post this in the FL Forums....

Old 07-31-2020, 09:59 AM

29,663 posts, read 40,583,539 times
City Data isn't really the right place to advertise that you want to buy a puppy,.

However, contact the AKC and they will tell you how to reach the schnauzer parent club (of the size schnauzer you want). The parent club will probably have a puppy placement person who keeps track of litters available. If not, at least they will have a list of members near you who might have a pup.

You might have to wait for a good purebred. Many of the reputable breeders have postponed breeding a litter this year because of Covid. They don't want strangers coming into their house to look at dogs and they don't want to do the home inspections.

But get on the phone and start making phone calls. Someone somewhere knows somebody that has a good litter planned. (where you might have to get onto a waiting list)

Old 07-31-2020, 10:03 AM

29,663 posts, read 40,583,539 times
Adding this: if you can't find a puppy near you, you might have to be prepared to travel to get the dog you want.

Myself, I wouldn't just google and buy off of any website that pops ups selling puppies. Especially not a website that is selling parti-colors or liver colored, or dogs with blue eyes.

Reputable breeders do have websites, but it will be photos of their show dogs and information about show wins and health checks, and probably pedigrees. They are not advertisements that puppies are for sale.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding this: if you can't find a puppy near you, you might have to be prepared to travel to get the dog you want.

Myself, I wouldn't just google and buy off of any website that pops ups selling puppies. Especially not a website that is selling parti-colors or liver colored, or dogs with blue eyes.

Reputable breeders do have websites, but it will be photos of their show dogs and information about show wins and health checks, and probably pedigrees. They are not advertisements that puppies are for sale.
Myself I wouldn’t just Google and buy off any website either
But I don’t necessarily need a large scale breeder/shower to get a good puppy
Our last 2 dogs came from Local home breeders and they were good dogs—maybe we got lucky
Our first dog over 40 yrs ago came from a very reputable kennel near Shreveport where we were living at the time...we found him through a friend’s mom who had an amazing miniature Schnauzer

Some very reputable kennels do have websites that advertise puppies
I have found one in the Tampa area but they don’t have any litters coming in near future
And I don’t want a dog so badly I would buy from a puppy mill
There is store in SRQ area that has miniature schnauzer puppies for sale but it has some negative reviews and they buy from “breeders” with no way to see the parents

Old 08-06-2020, 05:53 AM

2,194 posts, read 2,363,517 times
Here is one

He is a rescue and not quite a puppy but in my experience rescued dogs have a lot of love to give.

https://schnauzer.rescueme.org/Florida

Old 08-06-2020, 05:59 AM

5,091 posts, read 4,574,375 times
If you want a really good puppy, you may need to expand your horizons a bit. Im going to be getting a puppy later this year from a breeder (wont mention breed), and have to have the pupkin shipped. However, the breeder sends a nanny with the puppy to fly with it to deliver it. Adds some expense, but if you want a quality pup, sometimes you have to pay for it. Anyway, expand your sights a little bit. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:09 PM

14,483 posts, read 13,654,707 times
Have you spoken to your vet? They work with breeders and may know someone who breeds schnauzers.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:45 PM

3,667 posts, read 2,623,750 times
Make certain whatever breeder you choose does all the genetic health testing as these dogs are susceptible to some issues.
The best breeders rarely advertise....they don't have to!

Old 08-24-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Make certain whatever breeder you choose does all the genetic health testing as these dogs are susceptible to some issues.
The best breeders rarely advertise....they don't have to!
That is probably true
We loved our schnauzers but are also considering a Border Terrier (not a Border Collie)
And they are more difficult to find than Min Schnauzers because there are just not that many owners
But you are correct
There are breeders who do genetic testing for both sides of the litter and can provide certificates for the parents’ health

Word of mouth propels most quality breeders and they deal from waiting lists
Also litters can’t be programmed to produce a specific number of puppies
So if you have 5 puppies and 8 people on a waiting list some are going to be disappointed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs