Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 11:20 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm obviously a bit biased, but just look at all this energy our GSP's have with the kids!

Exhausted college son home on break-

Exhausted college daughter home on break-

Our dogs are totally kid friendly. They are like magnets. When we got Schnitzel my daughter was in elementary school and he was an awesome companion for her.

And yes- they like to work, and need to be worked. BUT- mine literally have an on/off switch. In the house they are really mellow (exception Pearl, lol). But they are very, very gentle, loyal and fun.

My daughter was a squirt and could handle Dutch at a NAVHDA test.

My wife had a lab, and together we've had a bluetick, basenji's, a boxer and now GSP's. By far the GSP's are the best with kids. The bluetick was a fierce protector of the children, but not really a companion. The boxer played rough with the kids often knocking them down. Basenji's? Eh they're cats. The GSP's have been the best.
Be very careful if you decide on a GSP. They are great dogs but 90% of people shouldn’t own one. When it’s said they have lots of energy it’s an understatement. Mine only had an off switch if it ran at least 5 miles a day. If you can’t commit to going to a field somewhere out in the woods and let them ruin 1-2 hours everyday without fail do not get one of these dogs.

That said I loved mine. I did put in the work and in the end it still ran off. Also do not think a fenced yard will hold this dog. However if you do the work these are amazing animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 12:51 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Actually the Peter Pan dog was a “Landseer”.
They are the black and whites Newfs that are known to the breed named after an artist that liked to paint them.
They were in the original story .

From the pen of James M Barrie in the original story:

"Mrs. Darling loved to have everything just so, and Mr. Darling had a passion for being exactly like his neighbours; so, of course, they had a nurse. As they were poor, owing to the amount of milk the children drank, this nurse was a prim Newfoundland dog, called Nana, who had belonged to no one in particular until the Darlings engaged her"

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16/16-h/16-h.htm

Old 05-01-2021, 08:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,660 times
A better question: how will you teach your child to respect the dog?

Old 05-01-2021, 09:48 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
What breeds of dogs are suitable for having children?

I thought dogs had pups ?
me 2 ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs