Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,781 times

Advertisements

we have a shiba, his name is Riley. We got him about a month ago, and training has been ok, to say the least... but he started eating the carpet 2 days ago, and I dont know how to handle it... what should I do. someone recommended the spray that you can get from petsmart, to make it taste bad, but I dont want to spray the whole apartment. any ideas... thank you

Aliye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,206,535 times
Aliye, is he crated when you are not at home? Or is this happening while you're there?

The best training in the world is the one that takes the most effort, and this is for marking, barking, chasing cats and other things dogs consider their life's work....get a 3 foot leash, slide it through your belt, and go about your business. Where you go, the dog goes - and it is so close to you that you can correct any bad behavior immediately. I have one who wanted to reconfigure the furniture legs into something I didn't consider very attractive by chewing them down to splinters. That dog made every step I made for MONTHS and was crated when we were not at home. It was also a great opportunity to reinforce basic commands.

I won't say it was easy or fun, but it WAS effective. Since I work from home, his nose remained about a foot from the wooden desk leg. Temptation took over many times, and I was right there to correct and redirect to either myself, a kong, or another highly prized treasure. It definitely worked...and for the record, he LOVED bitter apple spray which had been recommended. When he was finally set free from his leash (LOL!) we put baby gates up across the doorways so that he couldn't slide off to another room to make toothpicks (or balls of fuzz in your case).

It sounds like he is having a stress reaction to something or is just very young and needs to chew. Get a kong for his size and put a treat with a little peanut butter spread on it inside the kong. It will keep him busy for a while and allow him to chew all he wants without being destructive and teach him the appropriate things to chew on. I've never used a spray water bottle as a deterrent, but I understand that is effective as well if you can catch them in the act - if he's on a 3 foot lead, you can catch him...good luck to you!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,366,226 times
I would up the exercise (not sure how much he's getting but like they say, 'a tired dog is a good dog') - shiba's were bred to hunt and have a lot of energy - he sounds young and like Sam I am posted, would try to limit his area when you're home so he's in the same room as you are (mine are adults and while thankfully they're 99% trustworthy, for my own peace of mind we still close the bedroom doors) - anyway would give him a nice walk before you leave and would also crate him when you're gone (maybe give him a kong in the crate w/ frozen lowfat peanutbutter or yogurt in it) to keep him busy.
PS The Bitter Apple or Yuck! might work but it works best when wet and you may have to reapply often, prob. just as easy to spritz him w/ a water spray bottle when you're home (but give him the chance to stop beforehand by saying "NO!" - he'll make the connection real fast <G>) - but if you overuse it, he may come to like it (esp. w/ summer around the corner).

Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,681 times
Angry Carpet chewing

I have a shiba inu who is a year and a half. I love her to death but she is chewing holes in our carpet, she attacks the cat non stop(just playing)and the cat does not like it.as soon as anybody comes over she jumps all over them. Anyone have htis problem???

Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,507,724 times
You got the a good response - I tired dog is a good dog and i have to echo that.

The dog is going to satsify the drive to hunt - the only way I know to deal with that drive is to satsify it, not bottle it up. Now you don't want the dog hunting - maybe you come up with a substitue.

Google "two squeakies" if your dog will chase a toy [I doubt these dogs would be inclined naturally to bring it back maybe to chase it though......] you can teach it to retrieve and wear it out a few times a day playing fetch.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,895,495 times
The two posters that have Shibu Inus. It sounds like you have a lack of exercise problem. They are bored. The reason why they are digging is not only they're bored, but their rodent-hunting instincts are part of their genes. Brief HX... A long time ago, the Japanese used these dogs as ratters on the farm. Very reliable and fastidious.

With that in mind, they need to be entertained and exercised on a regular basis. My brother loves his Shibu, but he did make a change to his routine and he walks her 3 x's a day. She tore up the back yard! He was getting frustrated. So I told him to get out more frequently and change up the route every so often!

I wish you the best, Guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs