Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 12:11 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times

Advertisements

Top breeders for AKC pure bred German Shepherd puppies in Northern California are asking in the neighborhood of $2000-$3000 for locally bred puppies, and add about $1000 for German bred puppies. So you are talking $2000 at the low, $4000 at the high. Of course there are championship litters that go for much more, but if you want a pet and not a dog to show in AKC competition, you can still get a pure bred AKC GSD for $2000.

That is expensive but still a far cry from $6000.

These are top breeders. Perhaps lesser breeders are a bit less in price. I personally would not get a puppy from a mill or a neighbor or from Craigs List and such, so dogs of uncertain quality and health may be available for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 01:45 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Buy a West Highland Terrier. 20-25 lbs, easy to train, don't shed much, great with kids or adults. Most annoying feature? They watch TV and bark at other dogs or cats.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:48 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Ditto what everyone said about pet store pets. Usually from pet mills. Can be very ill-bred and not healthy.

And the price you mentioned is nuts!

Puppies are adorable. All puppies are cute. But puppies can destroy your home prior while teething. And before being house-broken.

My advice--get an over 6 mo. old young dog who has shed its baby teeth--much less destructive and often is dependably house-broken.

We got a whippet-terrier cross at our local animal shelter who was 6 mo. old. Never chewed up anything. Was house-broken. Great dog. Was with us 14 years.

Over-bred, pure-bred dogs can have many health issues. And puppy mill dogs are often ill-bred. Don't do it!

Old 12-06-2020, 03:28 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Top breeders for AKC pure bred German Shepherd puppies in Northern California are asking in the neighborhood of $2000-$3000 for locally bred puppies, and add about $1000 for German bred puppies. So you are talking $2000 at the low, $4000 at the high. Of course there are championship litters that go for much more, but if you want a pet and not a dog to show in AKC competition, you can still get a pure bred AKC GSD for $2000.

These are top breeders. Perhaps lesser breeders are a bit less in price. I personally would not get a puppy from a mill or a neighbor or from Craigs List and such, so dogs of uncertain quality and health may be available for less.

"Top" breeders? do you just mean most prolific? Because most breeders of true quality** ARE showing their dogs for AKC titles. I think most people don't fully understand what conformation shows are about. It is to evaluate breeding stock. A dog with a Championship title has had many experts determine that this specific dog has the exact traits/ qualities/ appearance that are standardized in the breed. Does this mean that all puppies from champions will be great puppies? Certainly not. But it helps in keeping a standard a standard.

Also, Championship titles do not show any indication of health; as judges are not vets doing exams and tests. So, it is very important to ensure that the breeder you are talking to does all of the standard testing and the parents have passed all of the health clearances. Again, does this mean you will be guaranteed a healthy puppy? Certainly not; but it helps to determine long term health. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a dog, why not stack the odds in your favor with health clearances?

**(I will note that there are many breeders of working or sporting dogs that do not show because the "standard" for their breed has deviated from an effective working dog (and this is sad that it has happened.) That being said, I would expect these breeders to be competing for working and other titles OR be absolutely active in that specific "work" for the dog, so you can evaluate how the dogs do their job. I would definitely buy a herding dog from a farmer/ breeder if I could see how their dogs herd their own flocks (assuming health clearances are passed.)

So, as someone upthread said; "AKC registered means nothing" is absolutely correct. But AKC Championships absolutely do mean something. And don't just take their word for it. Titles can be verified through the AKC website and health clearances verified through the OFA website.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

If you get a GSD make sure the sire and dam are certified free of hip dysplasia

Old 12-06-2020, 04:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Smile Sasie 123...... The Center Of The World.....!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Went to the pet store today and looked at dogs, prices were between $5k-$7,500. Of course my gf fell in love with a cockapoo thats going to cost $6k when we bring it home. I find it absolutely ridiculous, and I said lets sleep on it and shes home crying about it. Is it me or are these prices insane?
Prices are insane for many reasons, since corporations have joined in.......you can try getting a free one at a shelter....

Also, lots of animals are being stolen......do not leave your dog unattended anywhere, even inside your LOCKED car......

Old 12-06-2020, 07:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you get a GSD make sure the sire and dam are certified free of hip dysplasia

There is no certification that states a dog is "free" of dysplasia; as it is not a virus or disease. It is a condition of bones and joints. The xrays evaluated by the OFA foundation rates the hips in 6 categories from Excellent (showing no signs of dysplasia) to Severe (showing many signs of dysplasia). But even getting an Excellent rating doesn't mean the dog won't develop dysplasia in the future. They aren't likely to, but there is no guarantee. So there is no "free" from dysplasia.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
There is no certification that states a dog is "free" of dysplasia; as it is not a virus or disease. It is a condition of bones and joints. The xrays evaluated by the OFA foundation rates the hips in 6 categories from Excellent (showing no signs of dysplasia) to Severe (showing many signs of dysplasia). But even getting an Excellent rating doesn't mean the dog won't develop dysplasia in the future. They aren't likely to, but there is no guarantee. So there is no "free" from dysplasia.
I understand that and I know you can't certify a puppy, I meant certify that the sire and dam don't have it, sorry for not adequately explaining that

Old 12-07-2020, 04:16 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Prices are insane for many reasons, since corporations have joined in.......you can try getting a free one at a shelter....

Also, lots of animals are being stolen......do not leave your dog unattended anywhere, even inside your LOCKED car......
Probably just good practice to not leave your dog in a locked car at all ever. Either take them inside or leave them home.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:01 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Several years ago, I fell in love with a bulldog puppy online and shelled out 5k. He's a rare lilac color with an amazing face, but I would have been just as happy with a pound puppy. He plays extremely rough with my yorkies, tries to guard me and nips at my spouse, jumped on my foot and broke it, plus he has dysplasia.

He's a beautiful boy, love him, and I'm the center of his world, but he's a ton of trouble. He has the bulldog stubborn trait on steroids. The breeder was reputable, but you can't guarantee dysplasia. It dosen't affect him much, he's built like a linebacker. Mix breed puppies don't have as many health problems.

The pound can be a better option than spending thousands. Puppies are cute either way.. Hope the OP's gf realizes that a few minutes of cute isn't always worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs