Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,006,486 times

Advertisements

A staff veterinarian from Diamond Pet Foods responded to my inquiry.

The recall was because of some bad corn a year or so ago. When I was going through this, they had no recall. As it turned out, this was all related to my dog's Addison Disease. After changing foods, he revived for a few weeks and then got even sicker.

I posted this to see if other's were having a problem at the time but got no responses so that is a good thing.

Anyway, it wasn't their food that caused his sickness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 30,204 times
Default diamond dog food

I was slowly mixing the food, but my dog would only eat the new (Diamond) food and leave the other til much later in the day. When the diarrhea started my vet recommended putting him on rice, which I did. After a week on the rice, I then started gradually (1/4 cup food to 1 1/2 cups rice) mixing the diamond naturals in. After about 5 days of gradually increasing the amount of food, he started having diarrhea again last night. I can only guess that he's allergic or sensitive to something in the food. Diamond's vet replied that some dogs are bothered by the glucosamine and chondroitins. It also contains beet pulp. The Chicken Soup doesn't have any of these, or corn, wheat, soy, etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:50 PM

265 posts, read 1,288,269 times
Sounds like they have their hands in too many pots, if you ask me...I'm sticking with Solid Gold all the way...mixed with Evanger's canned food and for the kitties, some Halo mixed in. I've had NO PROBLEMS for close to a decade, with food or potential side-effects. I know it's expensive to feed healthy, but the cheap stuff (Costco brand, Purina, even Science Diet!!!) is the equivalent of MacDonalds...every day of your life. Ugh! World "Class" Citizen, glad to hear your dog's sickness wasn't food related, but I guess it's worse being related to Addison's. Good luck with that!!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,050,152 times
I just got an email about Canidae dog food.
Consumer complaints about CANIDAE Pet Foods

It seems from reading the reports that there was a change in the formula.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,509,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

Yes they changed about a month or so ago.

They added a greater variety of grains [cost of brown rice to high so they said they "diversified" the grains.

They also changed their fish from "herring meal" to a generic ocean fish meal.

That is also when they had Diamond start making their food. I was looking to switch dog foods at the time, knew some folks having problems with the new formula and just bit the bullet and bought Innova EVO. Not looking back, very happy. When you get into the price range of foods without menadione and guaranteed ethoxyquin free meat sources it is not that big a jump to go grain free.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Quote:

Well, that does it. I'm going to give Dog Lover's Gold a try. Our distributor carries it and says several kennels have made the switch and the dogs love it.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,897,013 times
Quote:

Thanks Keeper,

I read the first seven and I stopped. I do not feed my dog Canidae. I know I suggested the food time and time again. I want to apologize for those who took my advice in the past and fed their dogs with Canidae. I have used Canidae in the past with no problems, like I've read in the complaints. We switched years ago b/c a friend's suggestion.

I'm sorry for anyone reading my post who has taken my advice about Canidae. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have never suggested the product.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,897,013 times
Hey WC.
I hope everything is fine with your dog.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:55 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,006,486 times
Thanks for the kind words, brikag.

The definitive test that they do for Addisons has a range. My dog was about 5 points under the lowest "score"...
His CBC chem panel and electrolyes were really, really messed up.

When he was on IV fluids he revived. Within a day of taking him off he was just as bad as he'd been previously.
There were sockets in his head that were sunk in... my poor baby was really sick.

He wouldn't eat. He couldn't eat. Everything he ate made him sick so you can't blame him for not eating.

He's RIP...

It was the right thing for him and I'm glad he's not suffering but right now there are tears running down my face.

I know you know how I feel. Thanks again!

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-29-2008 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 08:20 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Thanks Keeper,

I read the first seven and I stopped. I do not feed my dog Canidae. I know I suggested the food time and time again. I want to apologize for those who took my advice in the past and fed their dogs with Canidae. I have used Canidae in the past with no problems, like I've read in the complaints. We switched years ago b/c a friend's suggestion.

I'm sorry for anyone reading my post who has taken my advice about Canidae. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have never suggested the product.
Let me echo brikag's words as yes in the past I've not only fed Canidae, also suggested it to plenty. I can't wait until I switch them over.

Sorry about the loss World Citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs