Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,046,308 times

Advertisements

We recently became the "parents" of a 3 month old terrier puppy. We have a 10 yr old, same breed, and she is terribly afraid of the puppy. The puppy loves everybody & everything - is afraid of nothing, and wants to play play play. But our older dog is shy & afraid of most things, and the puppy tries to play with her & the older one doesn't like it. When older one comes in from walk, for example, instead of running into the house as she used to do, she walks in, looking for the puppy. If she sees her, she won't come in.

We feed them both at same time, and they do coexist while eating - but the second she is finished, the puppy starts barking at her sister to play. Sister either sits & shakes, or runs away. She jumps up on our bed & spends most of the day there. Puppy can't get up on bed - YET. Right now, pup weighs only 1lb less than big sister.

THis is painful to see, and not sure how to deal with it. Advice received is to let them handle it - older one will tell the pup she doesn't want to be bothered. Well, she has, a few times, snapping at the puppy. Pup jumps back but then comes right back after her sister, barking at her while in play mode. Big Sister will sometimes sit in our lap, shaking if the puppy is around.

We were hoping big sister would like the new pup, but it doesn't seem to be working out. Puppy has been here about a month so far - and it totally changed the dynamics of our household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 08:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Big sister is probably more afraid of getting in trouble with you than anything. Afraid if she growls or barks at the puppy that she'll get in trouble.

Just imagine being old, like me, and being expected to deal with a loud, obnoxious, hyper kid 24/7 LOL. Why would anyone think she'd find that enjoyable, really?

So, you've taken on a situation that was going to be a pain, for sure. Just don't be surprised by that, is all I'm saying. Not judging you for wanting the puppy. Just saying, don't be surprised that the big sister is not thrilled about it at all, and that if you were in her paws, you wouldn't like it either.

Take care.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:18 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Crate Train the Puppy! Give the old dog a Break from her! Freedom to move around with out a pup under paws.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:03 PM

The puppy mainly stays upstairs while the old lady stays downstairs. It's mainly at mealtime or sometimes in our yard that they manage to "get together." Older has total free reign of the house if she wants - not a destructive bone in her body.

Our intent was to find a older dog, but my wife fell absolutely in love with one of the puppies in our dog's breeder's litter. I warned her! :-) I'm in my 70's, and she is doing 90% of the care for the puppy. It's like we each have our own dog in one house. :-)

Old 02-23-2021, 01:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,752 times
I agree with the suggestion that you crate-train the puppy and start giving the older dog some clearly-puppy-free time. If you google introducing a puppy to an older dog, you'll get lots of suggestions, too, including giving them both plenty of space - and not just by using the crate. You could use baby gates to divide the house up a bit. If you have time and resources, you can start puppy kindergarten classes, and in a couple of months you may be able to start letting the puppy go to daycare to burn off energy with younger dogs.

I disagree with the advice you say you've been given, to let them work it out. If you research it even a little bit online, you'll see that for certain temperaments of older dogs, that just isn't going to go well, and it's not fair to either one of them.

Based on your description, I'd use a crate or other separation device to ALWAYS allow the older dog a peaceful re-entry to the house after walks until this gets straightened out.

Good luck. It sounds like it did not go as expected, and that does sound hard.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:26 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
The puppy mainly stays upstairs while the old lady stays downstairs. It's mainly at mealtime or sometimes in our yard that they manage to "get together." Older has total free reign of the house if she wants - not a destructive bone in her body.

Our intent was to find a older dog, but my wife fell absolutely in love with one of the puppies in our dog's breeder's litter. I warned her! :-) I'm in my 70's, and she is doing 90% of the care for the puppy. It's like we each have our own dog in one house. :-)
Curious...I know its after the fact now, but did your older dog have a chance to meet/spend a little time with the puppy before you brought it home? No matter how much your wife fell in love with the puppy, introducing them might have provided a glimpse into the future. Some dogs never get along no matter how much we want them to.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I agree with the suggestion that you crate-train the puppy and start giving the older dog some clearly-puppy-free time. If you google introducing a puppy to an older dog, you'll get lots of suggestions, too, including giving them both plenty of space - and not just by using the crate. You could use baby gates to divide the house up a bit. If you have time and resources, you can start puppy kindergarten classes, and in a couple of months you may be able to start letting the puppy go to daycare to burn off energy with younger dogs.

I disagree with the advice you say you've been given, to let them work it out. If you research it even a little bit online, you'll see that for certain temperaments of older dogs, that just isn't going to go well, and it's not fair to either one of them.

Based on your description, I'd use a crate or other separation device to ALWAYS allow the older dog a peaceful re-entry to the house after walks until this gets straightened out.

Good luck. It sounds like it did not go as expected, and that does sound hard.
I guess I should have added that in addition to puppy staying upstairs a lot, she is crate trained, and spends a considerable time in crate. That's when old lady gets to do things. And we also have baby gates to keep them apart. And the puppy goes to puppy class once a week, and has play dates with other puppies a few times a week.

The older dog did go up & meet the puppy before we brought her home. They got along fine. Then drove together in car for 1 1/2 hours. But then the "problem" I guess came when this thing invaded her domain with constant excitement & noise. I know I'd be upset if kids moved into my house at my age & were wild all day. Kids - been there, done that. (But grandkids - that's another story!)

Old 02-24-2021, 08:24 AM

Your Timing is OFF! LET the Older dog SEE you crate the puppy Before you take her for a walk. Then when the Old Dog is coming back from her walk... when she the most tired She wont be afraid of the puppy pouncing on her. While the older dog is Resting you then take the pup out for her walk. GET the PUPPY TIRED. Do this Every time you take them out. Soon the older dog will relax around the pup... of course in time to pup will be older too

Old 02-24-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Your Timing is OFF! LET the Older dog SEE you crate the puppy Before you take her for a walk. Then when the Old Dog is coming back from her walk... when she the most tired She wont be afraid of the puppy pouncing on her. While the older dog is Resting you then take the pup out for her walk. GET the PUPPY TIRED. Do this Every time you take them out. Soon the older dog will relax around the pup... of course in time to pup will be older too
LOL - My older dog NEVER TIRES! SHe used to race competitively, Terrier Racing, and still seems to have boundless energy. Except when the puppy is nearby. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:43 PM

So you think she enjoys being Pounced on by a Shark Tooth pup as soon as she walks in the door? You think a 70 yr old person Love being pounced on by a Toddler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs