Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 02:20 PM

25,322 posts, read 16,958,731 times

Advertisements

Our 16 year old, 10 pound dog is dying. We have been through this before and there is no doubt.
For now, he is calm and lethargic. If we are lucky he will simply fade away.
Everyone in our town is trapped indoors because of ice and road conditions. We cannot get out of the garage, and even if we could there are no vets at work today. So we are on our own.

You can euthanize a dog using Benadryl. I have plenty handy, so I will use it if he becomes agitated or in pain.

Here's the question: Has anyone done this, or do you know of someone who has? ........... We don't know what to expect, so any comments will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 11:22 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Leave him alone! What you are planning is CRUEL

Old 02-17-2021, 09:42 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,221,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Our 16 year old, 10 pound dog is dying. We have been through this before and there is no doubt.
For now, he is calm and lethargic. If we are lucky he will simply fade away.
Everyone in our town is trapped indoors because of ice and road conditions. We cannot get out of the garage, and even if we could there are no vets at work today. So we are on our own.

You can euthanize a dog using Benadryl. I have plenty handy, so I will use it if he becomes agitated or in pain.

Here's the question: Has anyone done this, or do you know of someone who has? ........... We don't know what to expect, so any comments will help.
If hes agitated or in pain, give him something to help him relax but dont intentionally overdose him. I know youre intentions are good but you arent a doctor and you have no idea what could happen or how he would react. There are no vet offices open but is there an 24 hour emergency number you can call to get advice?

Old 02-17-2021, 10:09 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,349,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
There are no vet offices open but is there an 24 hour emergency number you can call to get advice?

Please do this. (There are also veterinary-advice websites you can try -- NOT this one, but sites that have a DVM available to chat.)

Poor dog, and poor you. But try to remain calm and loving, and if possible, just hang out on the couch with him. Your presence is what will be best for him, if you can provide it.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,947,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
If hes agitated or in pain, give him something to help him relax but dont intentionally overdose him. I know youre intentions are good but you arent a doctor and you have no idea what could happen or how he would react. There are no vet offices open but is there an 24 hour emergency number you can call to get advice?
I agree.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:27 PM

2,834 posts, read 3,156,803 times
My dog had a stroke last March after everything shut down. It was major and he was totally paralyzed. My vet, via the phone, said the best thing was to let him die at home so I did that. It was a very sad 36 hours. He had a quiet death. I often sat with him and told him what a great dog he had been. My other dog licked his eyes and mouth which got very dry. His eyes were very expressive after his initial shock. He seemed at peace.

I suggest letting your dog go at his own pace if you are not taking him to the vet.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:47 PM

25,322 posts, read 16,958,731 times
In the end, the vet came out to meet us and euthanized him. Dog was very weak by that time, but his eyes were still alert. Since we are due for round 2 of the winter storm, today may have been the best opportunity to have it done. Of course we would prefer him to fade away at home, but we had a dog years ago who became agitated and in distress. I would not want to be in that situation where there was no way to get to a vet.

Vet took him to be cremated and returned to us.

Vet said 2, 25mg Benadryl should do the trick with a 10 pounder. Mix it with beef broth or something. We would only have done that if Dog became distressed or in pain.

This is the second time we have lost a dog after 16 years and the fourth dog we have lost. God, it's tough.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:49 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,349,402 times
Oh, I am very sorry. But if you have another storm coming and he was in the end stages, you were wise and compassionate to do this. I'm sorry, though. It is always very tough, I know.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:53 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,221,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In the end, the vet came out to meet us and euthanized him. Dog was very weak by that time, but his eyes were still alert. Since we are due for round 2 of the winter storm, today may have been the best opportunity to have it done. Of course we would prefer him to fade away at home, but we had a dog years ago who became agitated and in distress. I would not want to be in that situation where there was no way to get to a vet.

Vet took him to be cremated and returned to us.

Vet said 2, 25mg Benadryl should do the trick with a 10 pounder. Mix it with beef broth or something. We would only have done that if Dog became distressed or in pain.

This is the second time we have lost a dog after 16 years and the fourth dog we have lost. God, it's tough.
Thats a good doctor. Im very sorry for you loss, I am glad however that you were able to get medical attention.

Anyone else, please seek your own medical opinion before trying to self euthanize your animals

Old 02-17-2021, 05:03 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,877,742 times
Listener, I am sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye is the toughest part of pet ownership.

It's obviously an upsetting thing to think about, but it is a good thing to have both the knowledge and means to euthanize your pet should it ever be necessary. The dying process isn't always quick and pain-free, and a veterinarian may not always be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs