Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 06:31 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times

Advertisements

I have 2 dogs - Brat Dog who is a 12 y.o. Maltipoo and Goofy Girl who is a 4 y.o. Pugador. Brat Dog has some health issues and is starting to show his age, a little slower, likes sleeping more, just not the silly dog he used to be. I understand this.

I am looking at a quick weekend trip to the mountains in the next few weeks and don't think Brat Dog would enjoy the 4 hour trip each way, he won't want to hike, I'd end up carrying him. I am considering boarding him for the 2 nights and just taking Goofy Girl. This is making me feel guilty because he always loved going before but I know he'll be miserable.

am I feeling guilty for no reason or should I just board both and go by myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 06:46 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Can you put the Maltipoo in a carrier/pouch that you can wear for when he might want to take a break from walking? When my older mini poodle was blind I bought a sling type pouch on Amazon and kept her in it for much of the day and she loved being close to me and a part of everything going on. It was very comfortable too. For long car rides your vet might prescribe something to help him relax.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:05 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
Have you boarded him before? Many dogs are fine with it for a few days if it's a good boarding facility that they're familiar with and especially if they have a doggy day care.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:35 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
You're not terrible. It's hard to navigate having a senior dog, especially when you have a younger one whose energy level is still high. Since it's a short trip you're envisioning, I'd take your senior along, and see how it goes. He might perk up with the change of routine and scenery in ways that completely surprise you. We took an elderly dog on a 3-DAY car trip to Santa Fe one winter, and it was undoubtedly an arduous trip, but overall, she truly seemed to love it. (But I like the suggestion of the comfortable sling for the hikes.)

I think it's true that some dogs really like boarding, especially with daycare attached, but in my opinion, that is LESS ideal for senior dogs. Everything's harder for them, including boarding, especially if they're not accustomed to it.

One thing you might do - in addition to taking him along this one one time - is to start introducing him to a daycare that can insert him gradually into the social situation, and see how he does. If that works and if he seems to like it, then you could increase his time there, until he's ready for a 1- or 2-night boarding stay. If that does NOT work, then you can start interviewing and testing out at-home pet-sitters (their home or yours), through rover.come or sittercity.com.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:52 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Thanks all, he has travelled with me many times, and boarded/day care many times. He's always enjoyed day care/boarding, and when he gets tired, he just goes over in a corner and naps... I freaked out one time he was at day care, I couldn't find him on the camera in his size room.... I called to see if he'd been put in time out. the girl who answered the phone went to see what happened and came back laughing - he was asleep in the corner out of the cameras range. hence his nickname Brat Dog!

I have a sling that I carry him in but lately he acts like he's uncomfortable in it. I don't think he'd mind being boarded - honestly, they would keep them separate due to size at the facility, so he wouldn't even realize he was alone.

I know Goofy Girl will love the trip, especially the hiking and walking thru the park... I have some time to figure this out,

thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
am I terrible?-bebes.jpg  

Old 02-19-2021, 09:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
That’s a sucky situation. We had an ailing 15 year old who we sadly had to put down past year. She’d get a walk every day, but I felt guilty sneaking her 4 year old brother out for longer adventures. We’d try to sneak out when she was sleeping, but she’d be at the door when returned giving me the look.

It’s probably silly on my part, but I never had the heart to leave her behind on an overnight.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:50 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Thanks all, he has travelled with me many times, and boarded/day care many times. He's always enjoyed day care/boarding, and when he gets tired, he just goes over in a corner and naps... I freaked out one time he was at day care, I couldn't find him on the camera in his size room.... I called to see if he'd been put in time out. the girl who answered the phone went to see what happened and came back laughing - he was asleep in the corner out of the cameras range. hence his nickname Brat Dog!

I have a sling that I carry him in but lately he acts like he's uncomfortable in it. I don't think he'd mind being boarded - honestly, they would keep them separate due to size at the facility, so he wouldn't even realize he was alone.

I know Goofy Girl will love the trip, especially the hiking and walking thru the park... I have some time to figure this out,

thanks all!

I misunderstood the situation. If he's comfortable in daycare and when boarding, then I think there is no problem. If you really feel guilty, you might plan on boarding the young dog one night after you return, and letting your senior have a post-trip day and night at home, with your full attention and snuggling to make up for missing the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs