Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2021, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 824 times

Advertisements

My 12 lb small dog had an echocardiogram 5 days ago. They had to sedate her. She is not the same playful, happy and normal dog she was beforehand. Since I picked her up 5 hours later, she won't eat, stares at the walls, she can't jump on the bed as usual and threw up 4 times within the first 24 hours, but not since. She just shakes. I called the vet..they didn't return my call. I have an appointment with a different vet Monday morning. What could have happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 01:31 PM

22,831 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie55 View Post
My 12 lb small dog had an echocardiogram 5 days ago. They had to sedate her. She is not the same playful, happy and normal dog she was beforehand. Since I picked her up 5 hours later, she won't eat, stares at the walls, she can't jump on the bed as usual and threw up 4 times within the first 24 hours, but not since. She just shakes. I called the vet..they didn't return my call. I have an appointment with a different vet Monday morning. What could have happened?
How old is your dog? How individual dogs tolerate sedation differs and other health problems they have affects that. It also tends to take longer for seniors to metabolize and recover from sedation.

FWIW, I had a dog (not old...about 7) who took longer to recover from sedation used during dental cleanings. It could take over 24 hours. It was also influenced by how long she needed to be sedated. More dental work needed, longer sedation, longer to get over it.

Something else is going on. An echo shouldn't take that long and its not invasive. 5 days is an extremely long time for aftereffects from sedation to persist.

I wouldn't stop calling the vet until I got a response. Of course its up to you to go to another vet. Be sure you can give them all the details about your dog's health conditions and the procedure she just had.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:19 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,584,950 times
My dog has had several echocardiograms over the past six years; he never needed sedation and the procedures did not particularly bother him.

I hope your dog feels better soon...

Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 AM

1,012 posts, read 713,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
My dog has had several echocardiograms over the past six years; he never needed sedation and the procedures did not particularly bother him.

I hope your dog feels better soon...
One of our dogs had a similar experience. He was large (90 lbs) and with a couple of us comforting him, he needed no sedation. I’m always leery of doing that to a dog unless absolutely necessary.

I hope your dog is improving. I’m curious about what the second vet thinks. Really the original vet should get back to you promptly.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 824 times
Hey guys, thanks for the input. My dog, Boze is 12 yrs old. They said to drop her off at noon and come get her around 5pm because they had other things they needed to do to her before the echocardiogram such as bp, heart rate, etc..they told me they had to sedate her because she was shaking. I have since talked with them and they said they may have given her too much anesthesia. They also want me to bring her back for another one because the 1st one was blurry (because of shaking). I refuse to put her back thru that. She still isn't the same. I got her a new Dr and they took her bun levels, they were ridiculously high at 195..normal is 30. Her last recheck was at 115 last week so going in the right direction. I'm having to feed her with a syringe because she won't eat much at all, maybe 3-5 bites a day.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:24 PM

22,831 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie55 View Post
I'm having to feed her with a syringe because she won't eat much at all, maybe 3-5 bites a day.
IIRC, that sedation and diagnostic exam took place 19 days ago. Her underlying health issues were and still are the problem, not the test! Hope you get some answers soon.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-14-2021 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs