Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 04:33 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

I tried several times in the past 2 weeks to buy a pup. I Have CASH in Hand. Yet they want me to send them XXX Deposit before they will let me come get the pup. They want the XXX sent to them by PayPal or some such. This last person said she needed XXX to put the pup in my name??? Which brings me to my Questions What Registry needs $300 to Register a pup? And once registered in my name ...what if I were to change my mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 06:08 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Are these puppies already on the ground or is this a pending litter? Do they have pups born 'right now?'

If it's a pending litter-
Our friend always requests a deposits on litters to be (pre-sale pups). It establishes the picking order. First deposit in- pick of the litter, second deposit in- 2nd choice and so forth and so on. We requested $300 deposits with Pearls litter. Again first deposit received- first pick of the litter. When our old gal Dutch had a litter, she had 7 pups and we had 4 deposits. When people would inquire and we had only 2 left, if they wanted us to hold a dog until they could get here- yup I need a deposit. At that point it is literally first come, first served.

Not to be rude but deposits also chase away tire kickers.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:33 PM

8 weeks & 10 weeks 30 mins from the one & 2 hours from the other.

I Dont kick car tires Damn sure wont kick a Dog BUT Will kick these dumb breeders!

Old 03-04-2021, 01:34 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Are these puppies already on the ground or is this a pending litter? Do they have pups born 'right now?'

If it's a pending litter-
Our friend always requests a deposits on litters to be (pre-sale pups). It establishes the picking order. First deposit in- pick of the litter, second deposit in- 2nd choice and so forth and so on. We requested $300 deposits with Pearls litter. Again first deposit received- first pick of the litter. When our old gal Dutch had a litter, she had 7 pups and we had 4 deposits. When people would inquire and we had only 2 left, if they wanted us to hold a dog until they could get here- yup I need a deposit. At that point it is literally first come, first served.

Not to be rude but deposits also chase away tire kickers.
And people who think they might change their mind...

Old 03-04-2021, 03:52 PM

Why I never took deposits.

Why would any one want a Deposit Before I drove 30 mins to their home to pick up a puppy With CASH in hand? AFTER they Held the Puppy for 2 Weeks with out a Deposit?

Old 03-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
On craigslist (I know, the soft, dark underbelly of the puppy market) the rule of thumb is, if they need a deposit before they allow you to see the puppy, there isn't a puppy. It's a total scam.

I do see how actual breeders, who have puppies too young to leave their mom, might want to have them all sold by the time they reach 8 weeks and can go, but I would never, ever put money on or buy a puppy I haven't seen.

If you're wanting to come look at a puppy that's in your area and is ready to go home with you, and they're require a deposit to show him to you, walk away. They don't have one to sell.

Also, some breeders sell puppies with AKC registration papers for more than if they don't hand over the papers. Just one more way to get more money out of the buyer. If you intend to perhaps breed your puppy, you will want those papers and they don't really want the competition in the area. So no, it doesn't cost $300 to register a puppy AKC, but they'll charge it or you won't be able to do it.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:42 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
When I got Zephyr I put a deposit down on him . The breeder and I had been talking many months before she even had the litter. I told her what I was looking for and she said she would see what the litters she was planning produced. When the pups were several weeks old she sent me photos of the litter and asked me if I would like the male she had chosen for me. I told her yes and put a deposit down on him and paid the rest when I picked him up. I had no problem putting a deposit down via pay pal as I know they have issues of people picking out a puppy and asking them to hold it for them then never showing up to get it when they do not get deposits. As for not meeting the puppy until the day I picked him up I was fine with that as the breeder knew her pups and used that along with what people wanted in a puppy and made great matches. I have been very happy with him as he does fit my life and what I wanted in a dog.

I think it pays to get to know some of the breeders as you then know they are legit and responsible and not scammers so I had done my homework and knew which breeders I was willing to get a puppy from then after talking to several narrowed it down to the breeder I got him from. He is 20 months old now and she is my go to person for things which is how it should be and she would take him back if something where to happen to me and find him a new home.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:44 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
You could be being scammed, but deposits are fairly normal.

It cost me $45 or something like that the last time I registered a pup with the AKC, and that was less than a year ago.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:08 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
....... Yet they want me to send them XXX Deposit. ...what if I were to change my mind?

That changing your mind thing is exactly why breeders require a deposit. They are turning away other homes that want he pup and you think it is OK to just change your mind and not show up to get the pup.

The "what if" about changing your mind is that you lose the deposit that you paid to hold the pup for you. Consider it a penalty for breaking your promise to provide a home for the puppy.

It sounds to me (tried several times in a couple of weeks) that you are trying to buy any pup from any breeder, just anyone who has puppies for sale right now. So I can't think of much to say to you that won't come across as snarky. I guess I don't have any advice for you.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That changing your mind thing is exactly why breeders require a deposit. They are turning away other homes that want he pup and you think it is OK to just change your mind and not show up to get the pup.

The "what if" about changing your mind is that you lose the deposit that you paid to hold the pup for you. Consider it a penalty for breaking your promise to provide a home for the puppy.

It sounds to me (tried several times in a couple of weeks) that you are trying to buy any pup from any breeder, just anyone who has puppies for sale right now. So I can't think of much to say to you that won't come across as snarky. I guess I don't have any advice for you.
It seems the OP is talking about a puppy that's ready to go, she just needs to get there in a half hour with the cash and check the puppy out and take him home.

So yes, she could change her mind and not show up in a half hour, just as if the puppy were a couch or car she was interested in looking at and buying.

That doesn't require a deposit, from an honest seller. That's a risk the seller has to take, that she might not be there in a half hour, and a risk the buyer has to take that the puppy may be sold in a half hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs