Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times

Advertisements

I was at a store last evening. As I was searching for an “associate” to help me, I passed a woman with a dog outfitted like a helper or support dog. The dog was quite friendly. It strained at the leash, and jumped on me. I felt its claws, but I backed away. No damage done.

The woman was smiling broadly as this was happening. I believe she said the dog was quite friendly!

I moved away and told her that support dogs were not supposed to act this way, and to keep her dog off me.

I think I could have been nicer, but the dog was rambunctious and I was on a mission.

What would you as a dog lover done? I like dogs. But I am used to them wagging their tails and “smiling” at me, not jumping on me!

Obviously this was not a trained support dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 08:38 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,915,002 times
Support dog or not. Doesn't matter. All dogs should be trained not to jump. This is the owner's fault. She should have yanked the dog back and made an immediate correction.

I'm sure there are videos on youtube about handling an encounter with a jumper.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:51 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
What would I have done? Backed away and kept my mouth shut. Nothing I said would have had any effect on a selfish person who pretends that their pet is a service animal in order to get special privileged for themselves.

It irritates me when people pretend that they are handicapped in order to bring their pet into a store, but I don't need the stress of trying to modify other people's behavior.

I absolutely would not apply any training methods to someone else's precious Poopsy Darling when they themselves think it is cute when their Poopsy Darling has atrocious manners..

Old 06-17-2021, 08:56 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was at a store last evening........

I just noticed that OP didn't say what sort of "store". Some stores allow dogs inside. The local stores that allow dogs, almost all of the dogs are very well behaved.

Although OP did say the dog was wearing some sort of vest.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:06 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,884 times
I would hope that the dog in the vest was actually a service dog in training; since no real service dog would behave that way to strangers in public. Pretending one's pet is a service dog really annoying, since it can prejudice people against real service dogs, who are trained much more thoroughly and are incredibly helpful to their owners.

The dog probably was being friendly. Dogs often jump up on people to happily greet them. But there's a difference when it's a 70-lb. exuberent Labrador jumping on you than a 10-lb. Toy Poodle; and people can still find both offensive. Medium and larger sized dogs must be trained not to jump, despite their doing so out of friendliness; and it's best to train all dogs to have good manners in public.

When I have taken my dog to stores (or, very occasionally and with permission, to professionals' offices), I make sure he only has about 4 ft. of slack in the leash, or less, depending on his proximity to merchandise or people who he might find interesting (who have not indicated a desire to interact with him). It's my responsibility. If my dog were some large unruly dog who could not be prevented from jumping by my pulling back on the leash, I just wouldn't bring him into stores until he'd learned better manners.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I just noticed that OP didn't say what sort of "store". Some stores allow dogs inside. The local stores that allow dogs, almost all of the dogs are very well behaved.

Although OP did say the dog was wearing some sort of vest.
Arts and crafts

My impression was that the dog was too much for the woman to handle. The dog was medium sized and exuberantly friendly. I would never try to “handle” a strange dog. I like dogs in general, but am not an owner. When I meet a new dog, I drop my hand for sniffing.

But I did not appreciate being jumped on as I passed these two in the store.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:16 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was at a store last evening. As I was searching for an “associate” to help me, I passed a woman with a dog outfitted like a helper or support dog. The dog was quite friendly. It strained at the leash, and jumped on me. I felt its claws, but I backed away. No damage done.

The woman was smiling broadly as this was happening. I believe she said the dog was quite friendly!

I moved away and told her that support dogs were not supposed to act this way, and to keep her dog off me.

I think I could have been nicer, but the dog was rambunctious and I was on a mission.

What would you as a dog lover done? I like dogs. But I am used to them wagging their tails and “smiling” at me, not jumping on me!

Obviously this was not a trained support dog.
I love dogs too. However, I would have done the same; state in no uncertain terms that a properly trained support dog shouldn't be jumping on strangers. This person is either ignorant, totally unequipped to train the dog in the first place (aren't dogs in training usually labeled as such? People who approach them are usually told not to interfere) or selfish enough to fake the dog's credentials. Cuteness isn't always cute. What will happen when the dog knocks an unsuspecting kid down, rips a skirt or its claws break the skin? IMHO the dog's handler doesn't deserve to be treated politely, they deserve the truth and a wake up call. A friendly dog is fine. It can show how friendly it is without jumping on people.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What would I have done? Backed away and kept my mouth shut. Nothing I said would have had any effect on a selfish person who pretends that their pet is a service animal in order to get special privileged for themselves.

It irritates me when people pretend that they are handicapped in order to bring their pet into a store, but I don't need the stress of trying to modify other people's behavior.

I absolutely would not apply any training methods to someone else's precious Poopsy Darling when they themselves think it is cute when their Poopsy Darling has atrocious manners..

I probably would have done like you as after years of saying things to such people as well as to people that walk dogs off leash in areas that are not leash free and have dogs that do not have a good recall, and get in other dogs faces and even mount the leashed dog I have gotten nowhere when I say something and am met with the rudeness that seems to come with a sense of entitlement so why bother? I do not mind off leash dogs that are properly trained . But I do not like fake service dogs as it really does hurt those real service dogs out there but people are so selfish these days.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:41 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
I think your reaction was very nice considering the circumstances. The owner was completely in the wrong and you were completely right to state your objection and bring up the subject of training for "support" dogs.

You asked how dog lovers would have reacted. I'm a big dog lover and I would have petted the dog and tried to calm it down. Most likely the dog wasn't truly a support/service dog since the woman didn't give the dog a "correction" when he behaved inappropriately. My guess is the woman just wants to bring the dog places it isn't allowed to go. However I would not have questioned the woman about the legitimacy of the vest because you never know how someone is going to react. People have gotten violent over fast food orders!

Old 06-17-2021, 09:51 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
"I was at a store last evening. As I was searching for an “associate” to help me, I passed somebody who jumped on me. I felt its hands, but I backed away. No damage done."

Funny how if you change the antagonist in that story from a dog to a human, it sounds a lot like assault. I'm not posting this to be funny, people have valid dog fears and phobias, and this type of behavior is unacceptable regardless of what species is doing it unless the behavior is invited.

We have a dog that we take into a few stores that allow it, but I would be horribly ashamed of myself if I allowed my dog to jump on somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs