U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 PM

692 posts, read 3,758,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Haha you can post as many pictures as you want. Thanks alot for sharing, I think Im going to be very happy with picking a schnauzer. He was only 20 pounds? I thought standards were about 40-50 pounds and minis were 15-20 or so. Anyways, thanks again for sharing, I get my pup in 2 weeks so Ive got a lot of work and preparing to do!
OK I'm being stupid. Devante was a large Mini Schnauzer. Sorry about that! Minis aren't suppose to get up to 20. Ok I'm slapping myself for that. Good luck and keep us updated on your pup!

Minis are 10-15
Standars 30-45
and giants are 60-80
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,926,528 times
Congrats on your new puppy. This is one of the breeds I've been considering and have visited breeders and done a lot of research.

Talk with your breeder about ear cropping. There is also a very good active St.Schnauzer Yahoo group that I've gotten lots of info from.

One of the things that was noted at one time was god for bid your dog should get lost and you hadn't done stripping/grooming for a while and they are shaggy...If they are in a shelter with natural ears/tails they can be mistaken for a mix to the untrained eye as these dogs are considered rare. If the ears are cropped and tails docked its is more likely a shelter will take a 2nd look that the dog might be a 'pure bred' dog.

I was on the fence about cropping and still haven't decided. I would recommend talking and doing reserch before making a final decision.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 7,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
One of the things that was noted at one time was god for bid your dog should get lost and you hadn't done stripping/grooming for a while and they are shaggy...If they are in a shelter with natural ears/tails they can be mistaken for a mix to the untrained eye as these dogs are considered rare. If the ears are cropped and tails docked its is more likely a shelter will take a 2nd look that the dog might be a 'pure bred' dog.
I think that microchipping and/or tattoing the dog, ensuring it always has an ID collar, and never letting the dog off-leash outside of a securely fenced area is much more reliable than cropped ears and a docked tail to help ensure that a dog doesn't end up unidentified in a shelter.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:15 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,403,259 times
Hi Teddie,
You should publish a photo journey of all your rescues, before, after, and life after you with or without your hand made clothing /collars. I will be first in line to buy one.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM

401 posts, read 2,535,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
OK I'm being stupid. Devante was a large Mini Schnauzer. Sorry about that! Minis aren't suppose to get up to 20. Ok I'm slapping myself for that. Good luck and keep us updated on your pup!

Minis are 10-15
Standars 30-45
and giants are 60-80
Most websites say that each schnauzer is a tad heavier than those. Oh well, all depends I guess! Thanks for your help!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I think that microchipping and/or tattoing the dog, ensuring it always has an ID collar, and never letting the dog off-leash outside of a securely fenced area is much more reliable than cropped ears and a docked tail to help ensure that a dog doesn't end up unidentified in a shelter.
I dont think dogs should be microchipped....for health reasons mainly

Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 PM

539 posts, read 2,012,755 times
We have a mini Schnauzer and have left her ears natural. She is a very expressive dog. Some of her expressions seem almost human at times. She is a brilliant dog. We also have a Lab and Poodle. She is the smartest of them all.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,220,602 times
i have no experience with schnauzers, but both my boxers have natural ears and I couldn't imagine it any other way

i haven't heard too much negative about microchipping and have mine done - however, even if you were opposed there is always a tattoo that can be done

i know a boxer enthusiast who used to crop ears - until one died on the table.....................

it's easy to keep dogs ears clean with a little attention, no need to go through the extras with them

Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,010,162 times
leave them natural! I think the natural look is so cute ...I think pinchers lok so cute w/ natural ears!
my Aussie has his tail and I love it!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
leave them natural! I think the natural look is so cute ...I think pinchers lok so cute w/ natural ears!
my Aussie has his tail and I love it!
Im going to, thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs