U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,728 times

Advertisements

Well I appreciate your decision to not crop your dogs ear. I personally have a standard and I had his ears cropped. I'm glad i did. I can see how it helps a lot with not having too many ear infections. but that's not why i did it. I like how it looks on a standard, but not on a mini. I love mini's with their natural ears. But anyway it was done very professionally. I paid a lot for it and I didn't have some hacker in some back woods do it. The breeder said that it must be done before they reach a certain age. No it's no necessary, but neither is it for dobermins, boxers, etc. Plus it really depends to, my schnauzer is in training to be in the show ring, so they are accepting of non cropped but really prefer cropped. I personally would like to see this changed, you shouldn't be forced into any decision based on cropped or not cropped, but to get a great breed who is healthy, happy, well trained, well feed, strong the top of his line.
btw the way my standard male is 45 lbs at a year and 2 months old. Depends on how old your pup is
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM

4,196 posts, read 10,798,489 times
I would never crop a dogs ears/tail just as I would never cut anything off one of my human children. Seems like purposeful infliction of unnecessary pain to me.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Hey everybody. Im getting a standard schnauzer in two weeks! I dont know what to do about his ears, whether to get them cropped or leave them un-cropped. My mom and uncle used to breed mini-schnauzers and said they can be more expressive with their ears un-cropped by the way they move them around based on their mood. However, I also kind of like the look of the ears cropped. Anybody have any advice??
I almost did get a mini, however, the breeder did take the puppies for the
ear cropped. Having a Bichon, the flopped ears, you only need to clean then a bit more. If it is a pet, etc., do ask the breeder, because it is done when the dogs are real young. At this age, I am not sure a vet would even do this!
My advice, b4 you do get the dog, why did not the breeder do this?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,247,380 times
I am beginning to think my youngest pup may be at least part schnauzer...the ppl who founf him emaciated and filthy on the street and brought him to me said he was JRT/chi mix, but as he is maturing he does not really look like either...after looking at some schnauzer pics and reading up a bit on personality, it makes sense that this might be his lineage...(he is an absolute LOVE and very well-behaved/mellow for being as young as he is!)...what do you guys think???
Attached Thumbnails
Getting a schnauzer..ears cropped or uncropped?-guinness-girls.jpg   Getting a schnauzer..ears cropped or uncropped?-guinness-man.jpg  

Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 AM

7,848 posts, read 19,865,647 times
I have a 3-year old Weimaraner, and I'm so glad that I didn't put her through the torture of having part of her body amputated. She loves her tail...sometimes she wags it while in a deep sleep...and it stands almost straight up when she is prancing around the yard.

Cropping ears and tails should be against the law in the U.S.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM

314 posts, read 1,058,565 times
The only reason anyone should crop ears is for hunting dogs who can bleed out and die from wounds to their ears. That's the reason earcropping started.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM

6,451 posts, read 11,583,545 times
I think your adorable puppy has a lot of JRT wire-hair variety in him and I can see the Chi, too....Schnauzer? Maybe...

Old 03-13-2010, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,905 times
My standard was a consistent 40lbs all her adult life. She recently passed away from a heart problem at 15yrs. From my research, and my own standards temperament, they are awesome companions, loyal family members, very smart and willing to please, intelligent, great at alerting their 'pack' to outsiders, like to play and be challenged mentally, and protective (not in an overly aggressive way) of the family and kids. My standard attached itself to me, and was always nearby at all times. I loved that dog and miss her deeply.

I'm currently talking with breeders about getting another one. I'm on the fence on whether or not to crop, but think I probably will. I don't feel its any more cruel than a circumcision which I never remembered, nor think its affected me in any negative way.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 PM

3,630 posts, read 14,064,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
The only reason anyone should crop ears is for hunting dogs who can bleed out and die from wounds to their ears. That's the reason earcropping started.
That is strange - most hunting dogs have floppy ears. I can't think of a hunting dog breed where the ears get cropped??

I thought cropping ears started with dogfighting.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,444,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I dont think dogs should be microchipped....for health reasons mainly
When a lost dog is found, the first thing vets/shelters/animal control does is check for a microchip...it's the fastest, easiest way to get your dog back to you if it gets lost. What is the health reason that you're opposed to microchipping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs