U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,471,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
He was a GREAT dog! Great isn't a good enough word. He was my first dog and my heart dog; he got me through a lot of crap. He grew up around several dogs and never had a problem with any dog, but that does have a lot to do with socializing and training. He got basic training just like all of my other dogs. He was very playful, but at the same time could go and fall asleep in your lap.

He was a VERY loyal boy. He tolerated a lot and let me do almost anything to him(in a good way). Funny hair cuts, hugs and kisses all day, fall alseep on him, dressing him up. He was a bigger standard than usual, 20 pounds, but all love.

As he got older he just would not stay clean lol no matter how much I tried he loved to go outside and get in the dirt. Goofy dog! I hope you don't mind me posting a few more pictures..just gives a little more idea of him. I think you will be very happy with the breed you picked; just at the leaste get basic training down. That alone will help you and him both out a lot. CONGRATS on your new addition!!

Oh my gosh! The first picture looks exactly like my Ben! He wandered into our yard a long time ago with no collar so after checking around we kept him. The vet told us he had some terrier in him but was a mutt! Now I see he must have a little schnauzer in him. And the way you described your boy sounds so much like Ben. The terrier always came out with the yapping though. Great pics!

And Ben is my heart dog too. He's 20 now!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 04:17 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,596,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
When a lost dog is found, the first thing vets/shelters/animal control does is check for a microchip...it's the fastest, easiest way to get your dog back to you if it gets lost. What is the health reason that you're opposed to microchipping?
I know this is off topic but wanted to address it.

Some studies show dogs that are chipped have higher rates of cancer and people freaked out for a while. But it never took into consideration the fact that dogs that aren't chipped are also usually owned by people less attuned to their health. So for all we know unchipped dogs have just as high a rate of cancer but their owners don't notice and the dog dies of cancer and it never makes the stats.

Does that mean chips don't cause cancer or they do? Not a clue. Just tossing out the error in the statistics that I read. Are my dogs chipped? No. But if I had the money I'd do it. With the rescue I've just got too many for it to be affordable. Though I"ve been thinking of doing one a month. Maybe.....

Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,529,539 times
How can you compare amputation of a diseased joint to cropping ears or docking tails for appearance? Talk about ridiculous.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM

4,605 posts, read 5,506,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
How can you compare amputation of a diseased joint to cropping ears or docking tails for appearance? Talk about ridiculous.
Yep ^^^^^what she said. But at least your dog will look classy

Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM

296 posts, read 512,523 times
Don't do it. Pointless!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM

9,353 posts, read 19,051,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilianafloreslloyd View Post
@jjolei
DOBERMANS get their ears cropped as a decision coming from the owner on wether he believes the dog should look handsome and classy or silly. Getting their ears cropped does not affect their behavior or emotions.The dog doesnt have to be very young to get his ears cropped, my husbands lt. had his dog's ears cropped when his dog was 1 year old. I personally think its the decision should be the owners and other peoples opinions should not interfere. However, classy showdogs look best when they are well groomed as well as docked and cropped. Showdogs that dont have those alterations look like street dogs. Its not that I am okay with my pet being in pain, but i dont believe anyones opinions matter the owners. Besides, they may not hear as well as when they have their ears cropped and most breeds are more prone to infections when they dont have their ears cropped simply because you have to groom them more and make sure their ears are not retaining andy unwanted germs, dirt, or water.
@Oldenfatt
No it should not be against the law. I do believe the purchase of classy dogs such as Dobermans, and other dogs like pitbuls and Boxers may not be so popular. What if you were diabetic and amputating was against the law? you would DIE if you couldnt get an infected leg or arm cut off. But I guess youd rather keep your dirty limb than be with your family.

All of you need to be better educated on these topics. You sound ridiculous and half of you cant even spell.
My presonal opinion (do not take into consideration to your decision) Cropped and Docked look handsome and classy like a duke. Not Cropped or Docked looks like street trash.

please explain to me how mutilating a dog by amputating perfectly functional body parts makes the dog look "classy" .... while a dog equipped with all of the parts the good lord blessed him with, (most likely with good reason)..... looks like "street trash" .... this is a concept that i just don't get.....

there is a reason that tail docking and ear cropping have been banned in the uk and several other countries.... it is cruel and serves no purpose AT ALL....

oh... and comparing the mutilation of a dog for AESTHETICS to the necessary amputation of a diseased body part to save the rest of the body is so far out there, it doesn't even justify consideration.....

and let's not even get started on spelling issues.....

Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 30,960,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
please explain to me how mutilating a dog by amputating perfectly functional body parts makes the dog look "classy" .... while a dog equipped with all of the parts the good lord blessed him with, (most likely with good reason)..... looks like "street trash" .... this is a concept that i just don't get.....

there is a reason that tail docking and ear cropping have been banned in the uk and several other countries.... it is cruel and serves no purpose AT ALL....

oh... and comparing the mutilation of a dog for AESTHETICS to the necessary amputation of a diseased body part to save the rest of the body is so far out there, it doesn't even justify consideration.....

^^ This. From me, too.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM

34 posts, read 99,874 times
Having read a fair amount about cropping since I'm looking at a breed that crops for my next dog, I'm inclined to think that while cropping may be done for cosmetic reasons, it does serve some good purposes as well. Cropping ears seems to decrease the likelihood of ear problems, and can also lessen the chance of play injuries and such since ears seem to wind up as chew toys for other dogs. Some breeds with long thin tails are prone to tail injuries that cropping can prevent, and in big dogs a long wagging tail can be hazardous for humans and knicknacks, lol. That said, I do love big floppy ears and an expressive tail on a dog so I'm not trying to advocate for cropping, just putting some points out there.

Anyhow, I'm inclined to view cropping as just one more thing on the list that an owner should research and decide what they're comfortable with before committing their dog to like vaccinations, spay/neutering, microchipping, etc. All have advantages and disadvantages to them. They're all preventative measures for things that may never occur yet don't carry nearly the same stigma that cropping does which I think is a little odd.

Personally I'm undecided so far about whether I'd get a puppy cropped or not, but I think that it can be a valid choice and shouldn't receive the amount of stigma that it seems to attract.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM

296 posts, read 512,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

Couldn't agree more!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM

9,353 posts, read 19,051,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopeyface View Post
Having read a fair amount about cropping since I'm looking at a breed that crops for my next dog, I'm inclined to think that while cropping may be done for cosmetic reasons, it does serve some good purposes as well. Cropping ears seems to decrease the likelihood of ear problems, and can also lessen the chance of play injuries and such since ears seem to wind up as chew toys for other dogs. Some breeds with long thin tails are prone to tail injuries that cropping can prevent, and in big dogs a long wagging tail can be hazardous for humans and knicknacks, lol. That said, I do love big floppy ears and an expressive tail on a dog so I'm not trying to advocate for cropping, just putting some points out there.

Anyhow, I'm inclined to view cropping as just one more thing on the list that an owner should research and decide what they're comfortable with before committing their dog to like vaccinations, spay/neutering, microchipping, etc. All have advantages and disadvantages to them. They're all preventative measures for things that may never occur yet don't carry nearly the same stigma that cropping does which I think is a little odd.

Personally I'm undecided so far about whether I'd get a puppy cropped or not, but I think that it can be a valid choice and shouldn't receive the amount of stigma that it seems to attract.

if the body parts were not necessary or serve a purpose, then why did they evolve in that manner??

knick knacks?? really?? that is a reason to cut off a dog's tail??

dogs use their ears and tails to communicate..... with each other and with us.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs