U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM

34 posts, read 99,817 times

Advertisements

I was just saying that as a side note, not as a major point--more going for the human aspect. Generally, large dogs aren't recommended to be around children in part because large wagging tails can knock a small child around quite forcefully. As someone who likes large dogs and children, that is something that I have to consider. The knicknacks was just a side note that yes, there are times when it can be convenient to have a docked tail. Doesn't mean that you should dock a tail solely for that reason by any means. People get their pets spayed/neutered largely because it's convenient for them--no worries about pregnant animals, less mess to deal with, etc. Yes, spaying/neutering can decrease some potential health risks in a dog, but it can also create others. Everything has upsides and downsides, and some of the ups and downs will be larger, some smaller. As I said, I think that when considering whether or not to crop a dog the owner should research and put some thought in to it and decide what is best for them. So long as the procedure is carried out with anesthetic and such by a vet, I don't think that it is any crueler than many other things we subject animals too.

Quote:
if the body parts were not necessary or serve a purpose, then why did they evolve in that manner??
Given how greatly humankind has controlled the evolution of dogs, I don't think this is particularly valid. If you take humans out of the equation, then I'm pretty sure all the tiny teacup dogs wouldn't even exist.

Quote:
dogs use their ears and tails to communicate..... with each other and with us.....
I'm also a bit puzzled by this. Yes, animals use their bodies to communicate. I'm not seeing how this makes a case against cropping. Uness you think dogs with short ears can't communicate? Whether the ear is floppy or not, dogs can still be very expressive with their ears. Same goes for tails--there are breeds like the australian stumpy tailed dog that are born with next to no tail--the shorter tail may be less easily visible, but it can still communicate quite a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 15,513,831 times
If the AKC would allow dogs of all breeds to be shown with natural tails and ears this whole issue would go away. It wouldn't take long before the few people who are left who actually think dogs don't look classy unless they're mutilated would think just the opposite. It's about what you're used to seeing, like fashion for humans.
Well, it wouldn't go away for pit bulls since it's dog fighters who started that trend for them. Talk about street trash!
I love the way my pit bull can fold her ears to the front or the side, or when she's trying to look pitiful, all droopy to the back -that's the cutest of all!

Last edited by subject2change; 03-31-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 11,844,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
please explain to me how mutilating a dog by amputating perfectly functional body parts makes the dog look "classy" .... while a dog equipped with all of the parts the good lord blessed him with, (most likely with good reason)..... looks like "street trash" .... this is a concept that i just don't get.....

there is a reason that tail docking and ear cropping have been banned in the uk and several other countries.... it is cruel and serves no purpose AT ALL....

oh... and comparing the mutilation of a dog for AESTHETICS to the necessary amputation of a diseased body part to save the rest of the body is so far out there, it doesn't even justify consideration.....

and let's not even get started on spelling issues.....
exactly what I would have said.

Mutilation does not equal class. Class is considering the well being of the dog over some old fashioned sense of what is right for a bred based on human rather than canine concepts.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM

18,842 posts, read 35,507,678 times
I would have never cropped my dog's ears...he was a basset hound mix...so, if you think of your dog as just a regular dog, how silly is it to even consider cropping the ears or tail? Right up with declawing cats, if you ask me...

Now, I am for having dew claws removed, Sam once got his little "thumb" stuck in a chain link fence, and it was terrible. I did not even know that some dogs have extra long ones, which he did...he was in so much pain, and it was all because I did not know to have this done.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 10,936 times
Dont Crop The ears! Much better looking dogs

Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 AM

7,848 posts, read 19,744,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
If the AKC would allow dogs of all breeds to be shown with natural tails and ears this whole issue would go away. It wouldn't take long before the few people who are left who actually think dogs don't look classy unless they're mutilated would think just the opposite. It's about what you're used to seeing, like fashion for humans.
Well, it wouldn't go away for pit bulls since it's dog fighters who started that trend for them. Talk about street trash!
I love the way my pit bull can fold her ears to the front or the side, or when she's trying to look pitiful, all droopy to the back -that's the cutest of all!
This has been accomplished in many other countries, so we know it isn't impossible. Most European countries along with Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Brazil, South Africa, and others have banned cropping/docking...and dog shows only allow cropped/docked entries that were performed prior to the effective date of the ban. I wish the U.S. would get on board with the rest of the First World.

My Riley and her beautiful tail.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 PM

455 posts, read 1,177,152 times
I don't agree with mutilating a dog for the sake of looks. imo If you don't like the natural look of the dog choose another breed.

Cropping, docking, claw removal for cosmetic reasons are banned in the UK so it isn't an issue.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 AM

9,353 posts, read 19,036,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilianafloreslloyd View Post
You guys are retarted. dobermans cant hear very well because their ears are long and floppy, plus they will get infections from retaining microbial parasites if they find their way to the dobies ears.

this has to be one of the most ridiculous and ignorant posts i have read in a VERY long time.....

poor hearing and infections from floppy ears?? REALLY??

is this exclusive to dobermans or does it apply to every single other breed and mutt with floppy ears??

Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM

16,583 posts, read 17,308,438 times
don't crop the ears.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,513,831 times
Yeah, maybe they should crop Cocker Spaniel and Poodle's ears too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs