Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 09:40 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times

Advertisements

This last weekend, I had to drive to NC to pick up the terrier that I agreed to adopt. She was found to be pregnant as she was going in to be spayed for me. The rescue wanted to save the puppies and they were supposed to foster her until the pups were weaned and adopted out. Unfortunately, the foster home had a family crisis and could no longer keep her. The puppies just turned 4 weeks old. This morning I noticed some white worms in Daphnie's stool. Ugn.

So what is a safe and effective wormer to use? Is there something I can purchase for them over the counter? Or do I have to go to a vet for a prescription for something better?

Otherwise, on the drive back from NC, I had FIVE dogs and FIVE puppies in the car with me. My new personal best! I also adopted a tiny overweight 13 year old rat terrier. He was being kept by the same foster and his time was running out. His original owner went into a nursing home a few months back. Not many people would consider adopting a senior dog. But he's a cutie and such a character! From his backside, he looks like a miniature piglet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,932 times
The pups probably have roundworm, which is common. However, I would not use an OTC product on your pup. It may cost more for a vet visit, but the medications that your vet will prescribe are far safer and more effective than the OTC ones.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
Absolutely bring some stool (as fresh as possible) to the vet for a microscopic examination. Not all meds treat all parasites, and there's the issue of the nursing pups. The vet will be able to identify what, if any, parasites are present and can prescribe a medication that will eradicate the parasite, yet not hurt the pups.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,974 times
You can use Nemex2 or you can call your vet and ask him to prescribe you a wormer. If the worms look like white rice then she will need to be treated for tapeworms..

Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
You can use Nemex2 or you can call your vet and ask him to prescribe you a wormer. If the worms look like white rice then she will need to be treated for tapeworms..

As I said, not all meds will treat all parasites. And only your vet will know what is safe with the pups and the milk they need. PLEASE bring your dog to a vet, who can look at the stool by mixing it with water, spinning that in a centrifuge and looking at the sediment to make a diagnosis (if there even IS any parasite) and prescribe the correct medication. Two of my best friends are vets and both say that they see problems like this all the time: the dog being treated for something it didn't even have and then the animal getting sick from the medication and/or the REAL underlying illness...

Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Probably roundworms (looks like spaghetti?), but you really need to bring the stool to the vet to make sure. The puppies get it from their mother, so you don't want to mess around with giving the wrong medication at such a young age, it's too much of a risk, not knowing what dosage to give to such young puppies. Bless you for saving those dogs.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Thanks for all the advice! I think that what she has is tapeworms, as I can see the small white short worms. The puppies are fat and healthy looking and acting, but the mom is still very thin from having been a stray. I realize that all puppies have worms and my main concern was the mom gaining some weight and having enough nutrition for both herself and her pups. The pups are also eating puppy food.

Well Daphnie woke me up just now at 4:40 am to go for a walk outside and then she wanted to nurse her puppies. I was happy to see that the pups all used the doggie tray to poop in, so I changed the wee pad lining. I'm not giving the mom a chance to eat the puppies' poop. O the joys of motherhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs