Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dogs on planes: feeding snacks, kennel, carrier, treats, flight attendants

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

As some know here, I recently adopted a long haired dachshund. One of the reasons I wanted a small dog is because I travel (by plane) somewhat frequently and I would try to bring her with me most of the time.

Two questions::

1. Any tips for when I take her? She would be in a carrier at my seat. Should I not feed her right before we go? Should I give her snacks while in flight? etc...

2. If by chance I can't bring her, what is the best thing to do? Hire someone to come to the houses several times a day? Not sure I can afford that but the thought of leaving her at a keenel doesn't sound nice. Are they bad? Do they take good care of the dogs? I'm not familiar with them at all. Any alternatives?

Two of my neighbors offered to help but I don't like to impose. Plus they work long hours and I don't think she can hold it in all day, I've been home with her taking her out a lot.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
I think you've answered your own questions already.
As far as feeding, i don't see why schedule have to change. More likely, dog won't eat during the flight, but make sure you have plenty of water. It's so much easier with a smaller pet, being right there with you, vs. big dogs down under as a cargo.

If you can't take your dog, then i would take advantage of any offerings you've already receieved , but if you are concerned, hire a pet sitter.

Best of luck!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
What you DO have to do is make sure she considers her carrier a happy place.
She should always find treats in there and be sure to do lots of toting her around town iin the carrier. Training, training, training. If people start to complain about a whining dog on board you're going to get VERY nasty looks and behaviors from the flight attendants.

I can also tell you from personal experience that the flights vary with regard to the attitudes of flight crew and passengers. Some actively despise dogs and won't even let you unzip the carrier to give your dog a pat. And some passengers won't be happy either. Just be prepared.

Book the passage WAY in advance. Many carriers limit dogs to 2/flight. PERIOD. And know that only Air France really lets dogs in the cabin to the EU and the dog + carrier must weigh 8kg or less (17.6) and they're STRICT about it.

I don't recommend tranquilizers unless your dog goes REALLY nuts in the carrier. But I also can't stress enough how important it is to train your dog to LIKE being carried around in the carrier and being confined therein.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I have a Saint and someone is home with her most of the time--I work from home and we have a large family. I've had much better luck with pre-teens and teenagers in my neighborhood than adults. jmho, but even when I get asked to watch a neighbor's dog, I'll often suggest someone else. I love dogs, but I'm just too busy to take care of another.

When we take trips, we usually leave her at home. I have a boy in my neighborhood take care of her. I've known this boy's family for years so totally trust him and he loves my dog--he was at my house the day I brought her home as a puppy. I encourage him to spend as much time at my house as possible by stocking the fridge with his favorite drinks, etc. --in addition to cash. he's cheaper than a professional sitter and he already has a relationship with her. He's also allowed to take her back to his house, too, for a little while although she really prefers home. Funny, but sometimes when I get home and take her for walks she seems to know an awful lot people that I don't - hmmmm He's been watching my dog for the past 6 years (he's 19 now) and I know I'm lucky.

My son is 14 and he's been pet-sitting for the past 2 years now. I think the pre-teens and teens do pretty well at this. Of course, I always set very clear boundaries about what they can/can't do in my house--that sort of thing and you have to be very clear (respectfully) about when to let dogs out, when to feed them, how much to feed them, etc.

As far as boarding dogs: I've heard mixed reviews about them. the main thing I would ask before leaving my dog is if there is anyone there at night with them. I'd also tour the facilities.

To tell you the truth, if I were you, I'd take my dog for a walk and ask other dog owners what they do, who they suggest.

Good luck!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have used pet sitters for close to 30 yrs. First it was teens I knew, then vet techs from my vet's office. Some of the vet techs will move in and sleep here at night so my 2 dogs and 3 cats have company just like I was home. Others will come over as many times a day as you can afford and their schedule allows (I've done as much as 4xday, but it was expensive).

WHen I had a sick dog, the vet tech took her in to the office and gave her pills after (she had some infection somewhere, by the blood work). My vet just billed me when I got home. Using a vet tech from your own vet makes that easy. And as vet techs, they know the signs of something wrong. They spend about 1/2 hr here each visit.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
As some know here, I recently adopted a long haired dachshund. One of the reasons I wanted a small dog is because I travel (by plane) somewhat frequently and I would try to bring her with me most of the time.

Two questions::

1. Any tips for when I take her? She would be in a carrier at my seat. Should I not feed her right before we go? Should I give her snacks while in flight? etc...

2. If by chance I can't bring her, what is the best thing to do? Hire someone to come to the houses several times a day? Not sure I can afford that but the thought of leaving her at a keenel doesn't sound nice. Are they bad? Do they take good care of the dogs? I'm not familiar with them at all. Any alternatives?

Two of my neighbors offered to help but I don't like to impose. Plus they work long hours and I don't think she can hold it in all day, I've been home with her taking her out a lot.

Thank you!
Can't help you with the travelling with the pup because I've yet to have the pleasure, BUT I did recently have to travel myself which meant that pupper had to go into a kennel and I must say, after doing my homework and thoroughly investigating the best possible option, I was thrilled with the care they took of him. I think he was too to be honest. I rang around and had some fairly average non commital, blaise conversations and finally found a place a fair drive from my home that answered all my concerns. My biggest issue was that my dog is a Staffy X and apparently this is a "Big Oooh Scary" breed. I didn't want him going somewhere where there was a preconceived prejudice about him based purely on his breed. The people that I eventually had him stay with were fantastic. The place was incredibly clean, they spent quality time with him every day that I was gone. They tolerated with good humour my constant phone calls to check on him and he came home fatter and extremely happy with no behavioural problems. I think I was far more traumatized by leaving him than he was by actually being left. They couldn't compliment him enough for being the good natured and lovable pup that he is. So I'd say do your homework and find a kennel that fits your requirements. Even supposing you only need to use it occassionally it's still worth checking them out. Our experience exceeded my expectations completely.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I used to work at a very nice boarding kennel. If you have options other than boarding I recommend you use them. No matter how clean the place or how nice the staff the reality is the dog will spend 95%+ of his time in a cage with a concrete floor. Dogs get walked in the morning at 7, and by walked they mean the dog gets to go out into a small fenced in area to do his business & then back into the cage he goes to wait for the 4 p.m. walk. No other walks. No (or very little) other human contact. He will be fed twice. He will have to listen to the inevitable chronic barker 24/7. We always tried very hard to spend quality time with the dogs, but the truth is there were too many dogs for the 2 of us to do much more. I always felt bad for the first dog to go out at 4 because he was going to have to hold it the longest. No wonder dogs come home from the kennel traumatized. If there were less than 10 dogs we were able to do more with them, but when there are 40+ dogs there just is not enough time.

I have never flown with a dog, so I can't offer you any insight on that.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I used to work at a very nice boarding kennel. If you have options other than boarding I recommend you use them. No matter how clean the place or how nice the staff the reality is the dog will spend 95%+ of his time in a cage with a concrete floor. Dogs get walked in the morning at 7, and by walked they mean the dog gets to go out into a small fenced in area to do his business & then back into the cage he goes to wait for the 4 p.m. walk. No other walks. No (or very little) other human contact. He will be fed twice. He will have to listen to the inevitable chronic barker 24/7. We always tried very hard to spend quality time with the dogs, but the truth is there were too many dogs for the 2 of us to do much more. I always felt bad for the first dog to go out at 4 because he was going to have to hold it the longest. No wonder dogs come home from the kennel traumatized. If there were less than 10 dogs we were able to do more with them, but when there are 40+ dogs there just is not enough time.

I have never flown with a dog, so I can't offer you any insight on that.
Actually racelady this was one of the things I spent a great deal of time investigating. The kennel where I boarded my dog was in a country area and they actually had fenced off yards with grass that the dogs were assigned to each day. In pairs so they had a play mate or seperately depending on the animal. I know that he had this play time because they guaranteed it and he's come back much more excited about his play time since. So yes, I can understand that them being caged might be an issue with a lot of kennels but there are boarding places out there that have the facilities to allow the dogs play time.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:20 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,352 times
I have never traveled with a dog either, but I have a book about dogs that has a travel section.

First, make sure your dog has its shots and that you have proof with you. Also, you should get a doggy ID tag for his collar. A side note to this, different parts of the country have different high risk illnesses, you might want to check into additional shots you might need.

Check with each individual airline about their requirements.

Pack all the things you normally use, grooming supplies, toys and food. Make sure you have enough food that the dog normally eats, if you don't and have to switch food on your trip the dog might get sick. Freeze the water in your dogs dish so that it slowly melts and doesn't spill.

The book I have is called Boxers for Dummies, I imagine they have one for your type of dog.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:25 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,726 times
I don't think airplanes let you take the dog out once they are under the seat in their crate if I'm not mistaken.

My babies never go to a kennel. I have babysitters who take them for 35.00 a night and keep them. The thought of them in a cage, no matter how nice the pet resort is, it is still a cage, big or small, some will call it a suite and give the dog cartoons all day but they're still kenneled. Craiglist or a neighbor or someone to babysit for a fee would be cheaper than boarding them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs