Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:11 PM

75 posts, read 142,682 times

Advertisements

I know I should go to a veterinary to get an accurate diagnosis, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask to see if I could get an idea of what she might have. I have a chihuahua (1 of 3) who about 3 days ago was running after my brother and all of a sudden let out a cry and started limping. Now she hardly gets out of her bed. The weird thing is that sometimes she will walk normally. For example this morning she was limping (it's one of her back legs that's supposedly hurt), and a little while ago she was in the kitchen walking normally on all fours. Then she stretched out her back legs and her left back leg went back into the bent position and now she's limping again. We know it's not a broken leg because she wouldn't be able to walk, and sometimes she walks normally on all fours. We had made an appointment with the vet 2 days ago when it happened, but then we saw her walk normally so we cancelled it. What could be wrong with her leg? Another detail that might be important is that before this happened, she's always hated being picked up, she's the only one that complains when we pick her up, she'll let out a cry as if it hurts her. I noticed this only happens when we pick her up with our hands close to her back legs, not the front ones. I think this might be related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
She could have damage to a muscle, tendon or joint. Get her to the vet MOnday.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:26 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,176,078 times
Limit her walking/exercising until you see your vet. You can always give her a gentle massage around the area where it hurts.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:26 PM

I will. My other chihuahua has a checkup due next week so I'll take her along also. Will an X-ray be able to determine this? When we made the appointment the vet said she'll take some x-rays, but I thought X-rays only saw problems with bones, not muscles or anything else.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,176,078 times
I'm sure x-ray can show inflammation within a muscle tone.
Good luck and let us know how it all went!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Limit her walking/exercising until you see your vet. You can always give her a gentle massage around the area where it hurts.
I'm afraid of hurting her. I'll just wait till I see the vet. Yeah, right now we're not forcing her to get out of her bed or anything, she hasn't gone on walks with the rest of the dogs, but I feel so bad because you could tell she wants to .

Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I'm sure x-ray can show inflammation within a muscle tone.
Good luck and let us know how it all went!
Thanks! I'll let you guys know how it went.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,249,701 times
Sounds like a luxating patella. Common in small dogs. Here is an article that you might find helpful Luxating Patella Article

Old 06-22-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Sounds like a luxating patella. Common in small dogs. Here is an article that you might find helpful Luxating Patella Article
Wow, that sounds a lot like her! Thanks for the article. If it is that, I hope she doesn't require surgery for it , but whatever needs to be done I'm for it.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:40 PM

146 posts, read 739,022 times
Poor Baby!

Keep her as quiet as possible, and by all means take her to the vet. Xrays will tell if its a problem with the bones. If it is a problem with tendons, only a manual exam can determine it.

An ACL injury happens quickly, and the dog will have the same symptoms you are describing.

Our Rottie has an acl tear, and limps noticibly upon rising after hes been laying down for a while. He also doesnt bear weight on it while he is standing still.

He is scheduled for surgery this coming week. LOOONG recuperation, but Im looking forward to having him pain free again. (We just adopted him from the shelter, and he had this injury when we got him 2 months ago.

Good luck to you, and hope its just a minor sprain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs