Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,783,799 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for months and finially found the dog I want at a rescue and should be getting her this week. She's a long haired Dachshund, possibly mixed with another small dog. The reason I'm writing is I made a list of things to buy but maybe someone can review it and let me know if I'm missing anything or should delete something. Here it is:

1. Dog food - what kind should I try first?
2. Bed
3. Carrier
4. I have toys but will get more.
5. Flea collar
6. Leash - I want to get the one that doesn't choke the dog
7. Any medications to have on hand?
8. Dog shampoo
9. Healthy Treats
10. Already have blankets
11. Probably doggie door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:01 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Dog food-- something with no by-products or chemical preservatives. You want a meat meal (chicken/turkey/lamb/fish) or the actual meat as the first ingredient... and not CORN. There are several dog food threads with referral links that have great information.

Bed- Weiner dogs lives to burrow, get something large enough to have blankets for burrowing

Carrier- go with a Vari-kennel or another brand that meets airline requirements in the event you need it for that in the future

Toys- Get both plush and squeeky until you know the dog's favorite

Flea collar-- Never! Discuss with you vet about flea/tick preventive. A flea collar concentrates on the region of the neck. Fleas tend to hit the "armpits" and groin area. Flea collars are useless once wet.

Leash- Buy a step-in harness so it's not hard on the back or neck and stay way from the worthless retractable leashes..... if another dog that is not not so friendly is nearby they can't attack your dog before you reel it in. I've seen it happen and the poor little dog had to have major surgery.

Medications- Discuss a dog First Aid kit with your vet.

Shampoo- This is a long haired dog, visit with a trained groomer in finding a shampoo and conditioner that works well with the coat and discuss the length as well. In fact it's a good idea to go into a trained groomer a few times a year as they clean the ears, glands, trim the nails and will notice anything that shouldn't be.

Treats- stick with the same quality as the food and stay away from people food, once that starts you're doomed

Overall health- Weiner dogs are prone to back issues so use caution and don't allow them to jump on/off furniture.

Last but not least, congrats on your new family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I've been looking for months and finially found the dog I want at a rescue and should be getting her this week. She's a long haired Dachshund, possibly mixed with another small dog. The reason I'm writing is I made a list of things to buy but maybe someone can review it and let me know if I'm missing anything or should delete something. Here it is:

1. Dog food - what kind should I try first?
2. Bed
3. Carrier
4. I have toys but will get more.
5. Flea collar
6. Leash - I want to get the one that doesn't choke the dog
7. Any medications to have on hand?
8. Dog shampoo
9. Healthy Treats
10. Already have blankets
11. Probably doggie door

Old 06-07-2008, 07:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,941,881 times
I would get a crate and crate train her unless the rescue folks tell you that she absolutely can't stand a crate. She'll be going though quite a change joining a new home and a crate will give her a cozy, safe place to hang out.

Skip the flea collar. Use a monthly flea and tick repellant like Frontline.

No medicines are necessary, but I give my dog a multivitamin once a day (Pet Tab)

Don't get a retractible leash. Even with a small dog, you never have a good sense of control.

I have a long-haired dachshund and he is the best dog ever! Tons of personality packed in his little self! Congratulations and keep asking questions. You'll get a lot of well-informed answers on this forum.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,222,254 times
You might want to ask what kind of food they are feeding at the shelter. If it is a store brand buy a small bag and then switch to a better quality dog food mixing it with the store brand a little at a time to keep them from getting diarrhea.
I have found with my dogs the better quality food they poop less and I don't have to add can food to it to get them to eat.
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble has the most recent info. This website might also be helpful: The Dog Food Project - Grading kibble - easily?

Good luck and post pictures.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 AM

Thank you so much! This is great info. and I'm glad an airline friendly carrier was mentioned because I do travel and need that. They said she is already house trained but not 100% because all they have to go on is what the family that dropped her off said. I know they have back problems and didn't even think about her jumping off furniture, so that's a good point. I have a sunken living room with two steps, I hope that won't be a problem. The carpet in that area is plush, so maybe it won't be too bad.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:32 AM

Should I give her wet and dry food?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,052,611 times
You probably want to buy the Natural Enzyme Spray for your carpets, in case they have any accidents while they are adjusting to their new home and learning their new routine. It neutralizes the smell and protects your carpet from yellowing.

Vinegar and water works, too. But, you can get the enzyme spray at the Pet Store.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:40 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Should I give her wet and dry food?
Dry for the main diet. Mine get wet on special occasions.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,855 times
First of all, thanks for rescuing a dog!
The only things I'd add to the good advice listed above:
  • Expect housebreaking mistakes. The stress of a new environment can affect even the most reliably trained dog.
  • Expect the dog to be scared at first. If he hides under furniture, leave him be. Don't try to pull him out to comfort him. He'll adjust on his own schedule.
  • Expect him to misbehave, if not sooner, then later. Most dogs are on their best behavior the first couple of weeks in a new home; any behavior issues may surface later. Reinforce appropriate behavior. Use positive training.
  • Treats are great, but include them in your dog's total calorie intake. When doxies get fat their risk of back problems increases significantly.
  • Enroll both of you in a training class. The socialization will help your dog and the structure the training provides will cement your bond with your new dog.
Doxies are wonderful dogs with a keen sense of fun. Best wishes on your new friend!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,944,411 times
Rapture, just some questions...

How old is she? Curious

Housebreaking? Box, Puppypads, Outside, etc... Be very patient with this training, but I hope you're lucky for a quick training. Doxies are very smart, so you shouldn't have problems.

Food? Premium feed or Big Box brands...There is a huge difference. With the big scare last year, you need to consider the food. We always used Innova or Canindae. Those product use real meat and veggies. Unlike the Big box brands use Wheat! Dogs eat wheat?

Crate Training? It's a good thing when you leave for work or to the store. Plus it's their own private haven for rest and retreat. Key Advice...never use it as a tool for punishment.

A Vet you trust?

Training? Enroll at petsmart or local training company, which ever you feel comfortable with. And a clicker. Their cheap and very good for training. There are websites for clicker training!

Dog parks in area? It's good for socialization for your new family member.

That's another series you need to think about. Let us know. CONGRATS!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs