U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Location: Boy, giraffes are selfish, just runnin’ around looking out for number one.
105 posts, read 333,199 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,388 times
Unhappy My Mini Schnauzer is in the Hosp

How comforting it is to read that I am not the only one that is devastaed that my little one is ill. We have had repeated episodes of Pancreatitis and this one is the worst. We were trying to avoid high expenses and tried a different vet. This ended in a horrible outcome. Brewster is so very sick and we are miserable without him. I had a friend tell me tonight that he is just a dog. I can tell you that when I went by the vet hosp tonight after being out of town for 2 days, that he literally jumped into my arms. He is getting fluids and antibiotics, but... he still won't eat. I just want him home. His kidneys seem fine. We are building a fence to keep him from getting into trouble with what he eats, but I just pray it isn't too late. Why doesn't this breed come with instructions? I have never had a pet that is so much a part of our lives. Please pray that he will recover and return home to us being the companion that we adore.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM

1,478 posts, read 7,673,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katz1601 View Post
... Why doesn't this breed come with instructions? ...
Breed clubs, veterinary schools and canine health registries provide free informaton aboaut the many diseases common to certain breeds, and it's a good idea to check out your breed before you commit to adoption or purchase.

Canine pancreatitis is a well-known problem in schnauzers. In fact, I think that as a breed schnauzers have the highest incidence of pancreatitis, and it is believed to have a genetic origin.

I wish you well with your dog, but I'm afraid that recurrences are likely if your dog is predisposed to developing the problem. Hopefully yours will recover 100%.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,344,190 times
I am so sorry for your losses. I am looking at my mini schnauzer and I do not know what I would do with out her or any of my other three dogs. Our doxie was throwing up blood a few weeks ago and when we took her to the vet she said she thought that she also had Pancreatitis but with one course of meds and an overnight stay at the vet with IV's she has been fine so i do not think she had pancreatitis. They now think it was stress related.
We have had many dogs and they all seem to live from 11-14 years old and then I have to take them to the vet to be put to sleep for various ailments. I need to be with them and I also stay for a few extra min alone with them after they have crossed the rainbow bridge. I know what you have gone through and it hurts so much. God bless you and I thank God for giving me the gift of my beloved dogs.
With tears in my eyes I remember taking my pom Lucy wrapped in her blanket to the vets to be put to sleep. She was a fighter and even nipped the vet as he was putting the IV's in. None of my other dogs ever did that but she fought until the end. The one dog that I loved with all my heart as she did me didn't want to give up.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,388 times
Thanks for the info. Just an update on Brewster, he has recovered well and we are adjusting to limiting his freedom so that he doesn't find anything to eat that would trigger the pancreatitis. One thing to watch though was that about 3 weeks after the incident, Brew had his annual innoculations. He got quite sick from this and we found that his liver enzymes were still elevated. We are learning!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM

620 posts, read 1,708,791 times
I'm happy to hear that Brewster is doing well!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,208 times
Interesting because I have had three minis’ live to be over 15 years old. I am highly curious as to the diet that was fed to these dogs as well as environment, exercise, and breeder.

Pure bred dogs are just as likely as mixed breeds to have problems despite what the media would like you to believe.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 PM

501 posts, read 1,249,698 times
I am so sorry for everyone's losses - it is crushing to read, and from my own personal experiences, devastating to live through.

To the OP - cyberhugs for so many losses. The older I get, the harder it is becoming for me to withstand the passing of my best friends, and my heart goes out to you.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,038,568 times
Sounds like the OP may have had dogs that came from puppy mills where the moms are often in poor health, are bred too young and too often, with no regard for anything but turning as much profit as possible. Mill dogs are notorious for having many genetic health issues.

It makes me so sad when I hear of people who learned the expensive, sorrowful way about pet store pups and the mills they come from.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 951 times
My mini schnauzer is 13 she has a heart murmur and she passes out she started coughing up phyelm. This morning she was coughing up phyelm and got weak and passed out now i am so afraid to go home and find her gone. She was taking heart meds but wasnt' helping. So sad linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs