Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,544,149 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to be sure everyone knew the new season of DogTown airs next Friday (September 5th) at 9pm EST on the National Geo channel.

They will be covering the Vicktory Dogs (M. Vick). I'm especially interested in how Bonita is doing. She was a bait dog (teeth filed down) and she showed some success and then fell apart again . I think they showed her in the preview and my heart goes out to her so much .

DogTown | Dogtown- National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dogtown - broken link)

There's a great article on the Vicktory Dogs here in this PDF of Best Friends Magazine March 2008 issue (you might have to scroll down to it):

http://www.bestfriends.org/allthegoo...e/BFMMar08.pdf

And check out the story called "A Measure of Success" here in the May issue, it is truly fascinating, possibly groundbreaking. Bonita is discussed here, and the comment about black dogs is very insightful:

http://www.bestfriends.org/allthegoo...MMay08_PDF.pdf

I think it's great that Best Friends offers their past issues for free online. If you live in an area that doesn't carry the magazine, or you're not able to do a subscription at this time, you can still keep up with them online.

So next Friday, 9pm, National Geograhic Channel, DogTown - let's make it a date!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,074,990 times
I think they should file down Vick's teeth.

ohhhh..... that makes me angry just reading the words!

Did anyone see the one on Animal Planet this week?? I've not seen any comments on it.

I've GOT to get cable!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:35 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,501,000 times
Thanks for the heads up, Riv. and I'll be sure to catch it. And thanks, too, for all the links! - There's a link on the Best Friend website for Stray Rescue of St. Louis. That's a wonderful story, isn't it?

I saw that program, WC. It gives one a good, general idea of what happened.

There are several short clips of actual dog fights with pit bulls. It also goes into a bit of the politics of Vick's county, how the deputy who insisted on pursuing this case lost his job over it. He had to contact the Feds and advise them of the case, because the local DA refused to investigate. So, there's a little of the behind-the-scene politics, but not much.

The program also explains some about the culture in which Vick grew up, where dog-fighting is so very common. (Also shown is a "bait dog" - I think she's the one who went to Best Friends - with her teeth filed down.)

All in all, the investigators got something they never expected...a bunch of dogs who were very gentle and friendly. Only a few had to be put down because of aggressiveness. And many thanks to the attorney who pushed so hard to save these poor critters, and get them rehabilitated.

Thank goodness we have places like Bad Rap and Best Friends, and blessings on every person involved in the process of rescue.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,074,990 times
I really want to see both of these programs. Thanks for the overview, SeeBee.

You know, to me... saying that "It's not his fault because of the culture he grew up in..." just doesn't cut it!!!

I understand what they're saying but to me a kind person... a good person,... would not even be in attendance at an obviously cruel, blood sport -- regardless.
The fact that Vick enjoyed torturing dogs that lost by electrocution speaks volumes about his character.

To enjoy watching any creature suffer and die is inhumane.

I remember when I was growing up, that there was a man up the street that was involved in **** Fighting. (i.e., rooster fighting)
Even as a child, I knew it was wrong. I was horrified.

I'm glad that Vick was convicted. I'm even happier that something good seems to be coming out of all of this.

Thanks to the attorney, the Feds and the deputy who insisted upon pursuing this case.
Thanks to those who gave these dogs a chance and to all of those who've had open minds to see the truth from this case!

The place that I just moved from considered all Pit Bulls vicious -- no questions asked!
If anyone even thought your dog looked like a pit bull, your dog would be confiscated and you would have to prove it was not.
Along with BSL, came many other bad laws .... in general, it was not a good place for dogs and their owners.

Maybe we'll see the day when BSL is revoked across our country. It's in every dog owners best interest to see it end.

I'd really like that.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-31-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 02:12 PM

SeeBee, I hope DogTown touches on how close to death all these dogs were.

It was just assumed they should all be euthanized because of their background, but thankfully cool heads ruled and the dogs were given a chance to show what they were made of.

That's what people will ultimately remember about this story. The canine heart and spirit prevailed and the majority of these dogs are doing well. The dogs were never the problem, the people were .

Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,696,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I really want to see both of these programs. Thanks for the overview, SeeBee.

You know, to me... saying that "It's not his fault because of the culture he grew up in..." just doesn't cut it!!!

I understand what they're saying but to me a kind person... a good person,... would not even be in attendance at an obviously cruel, blood sport -- regardless.
The fact that Vick enjoyed torturing dogs that lost by electrocution speaks volumes about his character.

To enjoy watching any creature suffer and die is inhumane.

I remember when I was growing up, that there was a man up the street that was involved in **** Fighting. (i.e., rooster fighting)
Even as a child, I knew it was wrong. I was horrified.

I'm glad that Vick was convicted. I'm even happier that something good seems to be coming out of all of this.

Thanks to the attorney, the Feds and the deputy who insisted upon pursuing this case.
Thanks to those who gave these dogs a chance and to all of those who've had open minds to see the truth from this case!

The place that I just moved from considered all Pit Bulls vicious -- no questions asked!
If anyone even thought your dog looked like a pit bull, your dog would be confiscated and you would have to prove it was not.
Along with BSL, came many other bad laws .... in general, it was not a good place for dogs and their owners.

Maybe we'll see the day when BSL is revoked across our country. It's in every dog owners best interest to see it end.

I'd really like that.
Wow! WC you said it all! BSL does more damage than good. It is hard to believe that someone has the right to come in and take your dog away. They would never get mine! This is total insanity. BSL needs to be stopped. It makes me so sad to think of all these innocent pitbulls being put down all over the country...just breaks my heart to no end! What a world we live in today...so much pain and suffering for soooo many animals.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 AM

265 posts, read 1,296,255 times
Great info, thanks for posting Riveree. Also, yes, it's truly inspiring and a testament to their resiliance and spirit that these dogs can grow into the wonderful animals they're meant to be. A friend recently forwarded info on a dog who was likely used for bait, in Georgia--pretty horrific story and the shape this poor dog is in...but the wonderful news is that someone in NC is adopting him--he's a Pit named Mo Mo (!) and is so incredibly sweet, despite his horrific treatment (I won't even go into detail). Anyway, if anyone would like more info just DM me--he's one of the victims of a non-high profile situation, but a horrific one nonetheless. And of course, the new owner is hoping for any kind of donation--be it used toys, dog bed, etc.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,371,480 times
Don't know how to contact the moderator so forgive me if I am out of line here. I started another thread on this subject this morning. For the sake of eliminating possible confusion, perhaps they should be merged.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Don't know how to contact the moderator so forgive me if I am out of line here. I started another thread on this subject this morning. For the sake of eliminating possible confusion, perhaps they should be merged.
To contact a moderator, or any member, just click on their name and you'll be prompted to send a Direct Message (DM) .

I just checked the other thread and I think we're good. Merging can make an awful mess, and there are only 2 comments on that thread and a link back to this one.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM

I watched tonight and it was a great show. The show covered the first 6 months with the dogs and the transformation was amazing .

There were some shocking parts, some of the dogfighting footage was disturbing and there were some things that were hard to imagine.

When they realized the champion fighter, Georgia, had no teeth and then why she had no teeth, it made me so angry. Since Georgia was a champion, Vick & crew wanted to breed her. Now I know these vile criminals use rape racks to breed the dogs, but they pulled out all of Georgia's teeth so she would not try to fight the male dog off of her ! Why?! I'm not condoning the rape rack of course, but wouldn't a muzzle suffice? They had to pull all her teeth out? We haven't even see the dog whose teeth were filed down yet (Bonita).

I watched Cherry, a bait dog, very closely. My own most recent dog had all those behaviors when we first found her - no interest in people, only other dogs (and aggressive to them as well), crouched and went flat all the time, no sense of play or excitement - sort of a dead look in her eye all the time, etc. My own dog has lost 90% of that, she is truly a new dog, but I watched their techniques closely because we're still working on some small issues.

The show was very inspiring and I plan to watch all the installments on these awesome dogs .

The folks at Best Friends are awesome as well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs