Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:53 PM

593 posts, read 1,796,188 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone could suggest a dry food that their dogs just love..I have a new puppy and she's not too fond of the puppy chow and will look to buy her something different soon...Seems like most of the brands in the store are made by Purina, so I would imagine one is as tasty as the other! I wish they'd sell smalll sample bags so you wouldn't have to spend money on big bags that could go to waste if she won't eat it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
See post below...

Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM

Many pet stores have samples that have been left by various food reps. Just ask.
Any dog food sold in grocery stores is basically garbage. Do your homework and read ingredients. Most of these foods are filled with all kinds of grains and fillers. Keep in mind, the more fillers, the more your puppy will eliminate.
A good website to check out various foods is: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ with

6 being the best.
Yes, the better foods can get pricey...but keep in mind, better food could mean less vet bills down the road.
With the pet food poisoning a few years back, I choose to stay away from wheat gluten and grains. I feed Wellness Core to both my dog and cats. But there are many great foods on the market. Remember, whatever food you choose to introduce slowly...your puppy's digestive system is delicate and will not tolerate a drastic change...so go slowly in introducing the new food. Mix in slowly with the old.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Exclamation How to Grade your Dog's Food

Start with a grade of 100:
  1. For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points
  2. For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
  3. If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
  4. For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points
  5. If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
  6. If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
  7. If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
  8. If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points
  9. If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points
  10. If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points
  11. If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
  12. If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
  13. If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
  14. If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
  15. If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:
  1. If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
  2. If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
  3. If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
  4. If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
  5. If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
  6. If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
  7. If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
  8. If the food contains barley, add 2 points
  9. If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
  10. If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
  11. If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
  12. For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "turkey" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
  13. If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
  14. If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point
TOTAL SCORE
94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
01-69 = F

Some of the top quality (A Grade) kibble include (in no particular order):
  • Timberwolf Organics Lamb & Venison
  • Solid Gold Bison
  • Eagle Pack Holistic
  • Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
  • Wellness Super 5 Mix - Chicken
  • Eagle Pack Natural
  • Canidae
  • Natural Balance Duck & Potato
  • Eagle Pack Large & Giant Breed Puppy
  • Innova
  • Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken
B Grade kibble includes:
  • Flint River Ranch
  • Eukanuba Natural Lamb & Rice
C Grade kibble includes:
  • Nutro Natural choice Lamb & Rice
  • Nutro Chicken, Rice, & Oatmeal
  • Eukanuba Large Breed Adult
  • Iams Large Breed
  • Iams Lamb Meal & Rice
F Grade kibble includes:
  • Science Diet Chicken Adult Maintainance
  • Bil-Jac Select
  • Science Diet Large Breed
  • Pro Plan All Breed
  • Pedigree Complete Nutrition
  • Pedigree Adult Complete
  • Purina Beneful
  • Ol Roy
It is now up to you to make a decision on what to do about your furry friend and their nutrition. There is another world in home cooked meals, and yet another realm involving a raw diet. But neither subject am I very versed in.

With regard to cost, the "cheap" F Grade kibble will cost you the least up-front, and the most in the long-run when you factor in all the unnecessary vet bills you will be paying. While the best quality kibble will cost you more up-front, in the long-run you will pay far less than the "cheap" poor quality kibble.

Dog food can be confusing, but I hope I have provided enough information to at least give you an idea of what proper dog nutrition should be about.

Please read those ingredient labels closely.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Can't argue with any of the listings, that is for sure!
My dogs loved Eagle Pack Holistic....but gained an unbelievable amt. of weight on it. Had to drop it.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 PM

On a related subject...,

You do not want to be continually switching your dog's food, particularly abruptly (as in overnight). Doing so has the tendency to give the dog diarrhea, or could trigger Irritable Bowel Syndrome. If you must switch your dog's food, do so gradually over the course of at least five (5) days. Use 20% new kibble and 80% old kibble the first day, and increase the quantity of the new kibble 20% each day. The switch may still cause loose stools, but only for a day or two.

The reason for the gradual change is because of the probiotics most good quality kibble includes. These probiotics aid the microorganisms in your dog's intestinal tract, which in turn aid digestion, and it can take several days for your dog's intestinal tract to adjust to the change.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
and on another side note, if there is a rescue or shelter near you that you are familiar with, they would probably be very happy to receive a donation of the kibble that your pupper rejects.........

Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,318,815 times
One added benefit of better-quality foods is small, compact stools. Easier to pick up. (Sounds gross to a dog-newbie, perhaps, but since I live in an apartment complex and am always picking up after my dog, I'm all for the foods that give him tidy poops!) Those supermarket foods are generally packed full of fillers, and they'll give your dog enormous, squishy stools. Yuck.

I switch my dog around a fair bit, but he has liked Avoderm and Eukanuba Naturally Wild. He's on a mixture of Wellness and Natural Choice at the moment. Doesn't love it...doesn't hate it.

He HATED Timberwolf...the one with salmon. Just flat-out refused to eat it.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 PM

149 posts, read 762,777 times
I have a very picky dog, and the only brand so far that she will eat dry is Nature's Variety Instinct. It's pricey but one of the best quality you can find. And personally, the duck flavor smells so good even I would eat it...if I had to Any of the grain-free brands are tastier because they have more meat. I currently feed the other dog Precise (grain based) and the difference in smell is obvious.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Can't argue with any of the listings, that is for sure!
My dogs loved Eagle Pack Holistic....but gained an unbelievable amt. of weight on it. Had to drop it.
I feed both my pooches Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. My 2 year old male Mastiff/Lab mix (Buddy) still looks trim, but either my 6 year old female Alaskan Husky/Lab mix (Blizzard) is getting fat, or she has hit her "middle-age spread." Blizzard went from a trim 45 pounds to a bulky 60 pounds during the last two years, while Buddy has maintained between 120 and 130 pounds for the last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs