Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a lot of pets in my life and had a question for dog owners. We live in a condo complex and see lots of people here and in our neighborhood in general walking dogs and it's great, I like seeing dogs and think that they are great animals.

I was just wondering what is it with the little small dogs and the incessant yapping and barking at people and other dogs. It seems like this is more common with the little dogs, is it some kind of dog Napoleon type complex??? We have a neighbor and she's got two little ones, not sure the exact breeds but EVERY time she takes them out it's a crapstorm of loud and furious barking. I've seen her with them for years and they've seen me and others throughout our complex and the barking and carrying on is so loud that you can't carry a conversation with her or anyone else within 50 feet. LOL, and every single day she's trying to get them to calm down and mellow out.

I was just wondering are there any training techniques that can cure this or lessen it somehow. I mean it must drive the dog owner nuts too, not just everyone else around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I haven't had a lot of pets in my life and had a question for dog owners. We live in a condo complex and see lots of people here and in our neighborhood in general walking dogs and it's great, I like seeing dogs and think that they are great animals.

I was just wondering what is it with the little small dogs and the incessant yapping and barking at people and other dogs. It seems like this is more common with the little dogs, is it some kind of dog Napoleon type complex??? We have a neighbor and she's got two little ones, not sure the exact breeds but EVERY time she takes them out it's a crapstorm of loud and furious barking. I've seen her with them for years and they've seen me and others throughout our complex and the barking and carrying on is so loud that you can't carry a conversation with her or anyone else within 50 feet. LOL, and every single day she's trying to get them to calm down and mellow out.

I was just wondering are there any training techniques that can cure this or lessen it somehow. I mean it must drive the dog owner nuts too, not just everyone else around them.
Some owners of smaller breeds have not done the best job with obedience training. For a large breed, obedience is a must have. For smaller breeds, owner sloth probably would not result in lawsuits.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,354 times
I have noticed that small dogs seem to be more prone to annoying, spastic barking than medium or large dogs. I don't know why, I guess being high strung could be a possible reason.

There are several small dogs in my neighborhood, though, and only 2 of them are annoying yappers. I don't think I've even heard the other little guys bark at all, not the chihuahua, the Maltese mix, the little tan mutt, two Corgis, and the Papillon. The sole yappers (thank God) are Jack Russells.

I have a big dog, and she usually only barks when someone comes to the door. She does get excited when she sees the neighbors' dogs, but doesn't bark at them.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Dogs should be TRAINED to be "Quiet" Firm Voice Holding the mouth Shut! After a week to 10 days can most likely just say Quiet in firm voice without holding their mouth shut.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:43 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Most small dogs are this way because they are afraid of other dogs/people, but by barking early and often they keep up the charade that they are tough. If they are socialized at a young age they do not need this kind of behavior because they feel more secure. Urban dogs have it tough, because when on leashes they always consider themselves at their most vulnerable.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:

I've often wondered that myself. I used to visit someone years ago that had a miniature poodle, and that thing would bark even when anyone stood up to leave the room! You couldn't move fast or scrape a chair leg on the vinyl floor without that thing starting. It was incredibly annoying. I don't know how the owners stand it.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Dogs, of all sizes, bark to communicate. Now whether or not there's a real message is similar to co-workers, relatives etc., we know that are "chatty Cathys" Sometimes there is merit, other times it's the "acorn fell off the tree, look!" syndrome.

Adding to that, when leashed, dogs are an extension of their handler. Having said that, the barking can be a warning signal to alert the handler and ward off "the enemy". They also feed off of the handler's emotions; if handler is thinking "here we go again..." and are anxious, it passes off to the dog.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
I think owners of small dogs let them get away with bad behavior more then owners of medium or large dogs do.At one of the local dog parks which has no separate place for small dogs all the small dogs rush any dog entering yapping at them and do the same for anyone that walks on the path that runs along outside of park. It is very annoying yet not one of the owners does anything to stop their dog from doing it. If my dogs did either thing I would be right there putting an end to it.

I own a condo and there are dogs of every size living in the condos, rarely do I hear a bigger dog barking but too often I hear the small ones yapping...makes me wonder why so many places put size restrictions on dogs.I would much rather live next door to a large quiet dog like my Dazzle then to one of the small yappers. Being a sight hound Dazzle does not bark at outside noises, you can Pou d on my door and he will not bark, Chaos tends to not bark at people who knock on the door either,so I do not have good watch dogs.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
I mean it must drive the dog owner nuts too, not just everyone else around them.

I'm one of those guilty owners. Yes, my 7 lb Pomeranian mix definitely has "small dog syndrome". But, the funny thing is, he doesn't do it constantly at our house. And if he does get started, it's usually easy to get him to stop. So it's not as annoying as you'd think.

Mostly, I'm embarrassed at his behavior. Training works if it is consistent. But it's hard to be consistent when your doorbell rings maybe once a year. Or you only see another dog or human once a week. In fact, the last time I had guests in my house was over a year ago.

So we try, but even the vet (actually 2 different vets) said it's unlikely we'll train it out of him.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times
Default small dog syndrome

I too am one of those people with a small dog who barks... My neighbors used to laugh and say "heard Charlie barking when I drove by today". Yes he barks at leaves falling 3 blocks away - or god forbid a doorbell on a commercial will set him off... we have been working on this behavior for 3 years - but since he was abused and a rescue it will always be a struggle. men, bicycles, strollers terrify him, motorcycles annoy him - he will always be a work in progress. But we are making progress. he's learning a few barks gets it out of his system and when I tell him Enough he stops. when he is playing and starts to get tired - he doesn't want to stop but I tell him Enough and he stops. He'll catch his breath and gets a drink of water and he's calm. I know I'll never keep him from barking - but I am limiting the insane barking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs