Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times

Advertisements

I got a call today that someone I know wants to give up their dog because they have allergies (I know, I know ).

So I'm hoping they will be open to finding a solution rather than give up the dog.

This is a healthy adult dog (American Bulldog), sweet as can be , and they've had him for a few months. The coat is super-short and I noticed no dander issues when I last saw the dog . They have another dog too - one with a longer coat - so I'm not sure why there'd be an allergy to the new dog and not the old one with the longer coat?

What are some solutions I can offer to lessen the dander on the dog?

What are some solutions in the meantime for the dog owner?

I know that diet can play a role with dander, so switching to a higher quality food will be one suggestion I make.

Are there any supplements (oils?) that can be added to the food for a quick solution? Other ideas?

Whatever the plan of action is, it will have to be quick, cheap, and something that is easily accessible - some people will go to any length for their dog, others won't.

I'll check back in a little later on, hopefully your brains are working better than mine and you'll have the answers . I just hope it's not too late .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
What kind of dog is the longer-coated one?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
What kind of dog is the longer-coated one?
A little dog, a mix, sort of Yorkie-like .

Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,782 times
Will ask my aunt as found something long ago as her son allergic to dogs and I searched found a spray put on dog and this being a cocker kid can be around it no problem.Soon as find out tell ya.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:49 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Salmon oil does help condition the skin and that might reduce the dander.

Just how severe are the allergies? Recently we'd had the poster who we followed on here get their puppy only to have the severe allergy reactions to the point it could have cost a life.

I have a friend whose allergies flare up wtih short haired cats, but not the longet coats. I think it's due to the dander shedding out more in the shorter coats than it does in the longer ones. I'm seriously wondering if that makes any sense???

Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
Riv -

Very long shot here, but the best I can do....

First, I will say that some dogs set me to sneezing like nobody's business, and some cats...and there's no way for me to tell which until it's too late and I have my eyes swollen shut. I contacted another friend in rescue about this issue and she has a suggestion...is their any way these folks can have access to chlorinated water, like in a pool, and take their dog swimming on a regular basis? This rescuer has a lab that should cause her kids to have bad allergies - all the other labs did - but this one swims every day of her life. They think maybe that keeps the dander down and the coat very clean and very cool. She obviously sheds a lot while in the pool as well, so there isn't all the extra fur. Just a thought - a wild one, but the best I can do!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Will ask my aunt as found something long ago as her son allergic to dogs and I searched found a spray put on dog and this being a cocker kid can be around it no problem.Soon as find out tell ya.
Thanks Dream . I'm going to put together a list of ideas for them, so just let me know once you get the name...I appreciate it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Salmon oil does help condition the skin and that might reduce the dander.

Just how severe are the allergies? Recently we'd had the poster who we followed on here get their puppy only to have the severe allergy reactions to the point it could have cost a life.

I have a friend whose allergies flare up wtih short haired cats, but not the longet coats. I think it's due to the dander shedding out more in the shorter coats than it does in the longer ones. I'm seriously wondering if that makes any sense???
Salmon oil, excellent . I was thinking olive oil and then maybe some fish oil supplements, but yes, salmon oil would do it all, wouldn't it?

I don't think the allergies are too severe. I was at their house shortly after the adopted him and there was no sign or discussion of allergies, so I guess it popped up later. I think it's just a lot of sneezing - like a constant sneezing.

I don't know if the dander appears more easily on a shorthair dog? This dog is white too, so maybe he has more sensitive skin and produces more dander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Riv -

Very long shot here, but the best I can do....

First, I will say that some dogs set me to sneezing like nobody's business, and some cats...and there's no way for me to tell which until it's too late and I have my eyes swollen shut. I contacted another friend in rescue about this issue and she has a suggestion...is their any way these folks can have access to chlorinated water, like in a pool, and take their dog swimming on a regular basis? This rescuer has a lab that should cause her kids to have bad allergies - all the other labs did - but this one swims every day of her life. They think maybe that keeps the dander down and the coat very clean and very cool. She obviously sheds a lot while in the pool as well, so there isn't all the extra fur. Just a thought - a wild one, but the best I can do!
Thanks Sam, it's a good idea. I will add it to my list, but I don't know where they'd get access to a pool. They live deep in the country and pools aren't too common where they live. They have a lot of nearby spring-fed lakes that have our naturally sulphered Florida water...maybe that would have some effect? But who knows, maybe they know someone with a pool...it'll be on my list .

Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Actually Riv, you don't even need a health food store. We sell Grizzley's Salmon Oil where I work and I just noticed they have a website. Welcome to Grizzly Pet Products

Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,782 times
Here is site she got her spray from.Pet Dander Control Products, Control dust mites. - Allergy Relief Store

It is called AllerPet Dander Lotion
sure find other spots also find cheapest or fastest shipping and hope they keep the dog.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Actually Riv, you don't even need a health food store. We sell Grizzley's Salmon Oil where I work and I just noticed they have a website. Welcome to Grizzly Pet Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Here is site she got her spray from.Pet Dander Control Products, Control dust mites. - Allergy Relief Store

It is called AllerPet Dander Lotion
sure find other spots also find cheapest or fastest shipping and hope they keep the dog.
Excellent, thank you both .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs