Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 02:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where I've heard this before; maybe on CD but here's my question:
I can understand dogs needing rabie shots? Are all these other shots necessary?
I took my dog to the vet the other day to have a rabies shot and seemed to be getting some snarls/looks from the receptionist because we turned down all these other shots my dog is apparently supposed to have.
I live in NM now (recently moved) but when I took her to the vet in Texas, (where I used to live), the vet told us that the rabies shot was required but the rest of the shots were mainly for puppies and not necessary for an adult dog.
I've read that too many shots will make a dog sick.
Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,932 times
There is a great deal of controversy about vaccinations. Generally, even adult dogs need some core vaccines, but annual shots aren't necessarily required nor are they good for the dog. Here's some info that may help answer your question better than I can.

My dogs do not get annual boosters. They do get vaccine antibody titers annually, because I foster rescue dogs.

http://vaccines.dogsadversereactions...idelines06.pdf
Client Information Brochures (http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/clientinfo/info/genmed/vaccinproto.html - broken link)
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
Talk to your vet about checking titers. Titers measure the amount of specific protective antibody present in the serum against the multiple diseases for which your dog is vaccinated. Many vets do this to check and see if the titers are low and re-vaccination is needed.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:09 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
My new puppy has now had his full year rabies and DHPP. I know that rabies is a must but the Rabies Vaccination can last for 2 years and up to 3 depending upon the state and veterinarian.

I have a question for those of you who are doing titers. I think this is an excellent idea.

I had my last dog in several training classes. Each time you start a new class, they ask you to provide proof of current vaccinations.

If you're doing titers, does your veterinarian then provide you with some kind of certification that would work for boarding, classes or other activites where they ask for this proof?

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-25-2008 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
For boarding, you'd need a recent Bordetella vaccination. Unfortunately, there's not just Bordetella covered in that vaccine, because it's not just that organism that can cause kennel cough. Many organisms cause tracheobronchitis, the syndrome (collection of signs/symptoms) that is commonly called kennel cough.

In addition, not only can one not check for titers for all these kennel cough bugs, but the vaccination isnt all that effective. The intranasal vaccine has a higher effectiveness (as opposed to efficacy, which hasn't, I don't think, really been measured) than the injectable vaccine, but even the intranasal vaccine isnt that wonderful. That's why many dogs still contract kennel cough, in spite of being vaccinated.

For the other entities, like distemper, yes, you can check titers and get your vet to write a note.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Excellent. I will find out if the local veterinarian does titers before next year.

Thank you!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,932 times
I've found that even vets who don't currently do titers will do them if you explain why you think they are right for your dog. So, don't be deterred if your vet initially says no.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times
I know what titers is now. Thanks to you all for your input.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:10 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
We started doing titers this year and found that our dogs don't need boosters right now, so all they get is the 3-year rabies. I much prefer doing the titers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs