Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 03:40 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times

Advertisements

Our dog is a wonderful pet and a part of our family and we love him unconditionally. He is a beautiful Yorkie with one issue - manic licking. After sundown the tongue comes out and he will sit and lick the couch or a blanket, just about anything. He also loves to lick me and will run to keep up with me as I walk around the house - just so he can keep licking my leg. It does not matter how much I tell him to stop. Anyone have any thoughts on why he does this? His licking is mostly focused on me, not anyone else. I am the one home with him most days so I spend the most time with him. It is just so strange that he only does this at night.
I know our actions are often causes of animal behavior problems so if anyone has any input I would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
I think some dogs just have an oral fixation! Have you tried distracting him with a chew toy, a buster ball or a Kong? Try giving him something appropriate to chew on or lick every time his tongue heads in your direction. It may take some time to redirect his behavior but it should eventually work. I imagine his behavior is similar to that of people who chew gum or smoke because they need something to do with their mouths.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I have a pillow-licker !

She loves to lick her pillow - sometimes for a looong time - before resting her head on it.

She licks more at night because that's when she's vegging out on the sofa with her pillows .

I never thought much of it, just figured I had a licker .

Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I have a pillow-licker !

She loves to lick her pillow - sometimes for a looong time - before resting her head on it.

She licks more at night because that's when she's vegging out on the sofa with her pillows .

I never thought much of it, just figured I had a licker .
Funny you mention a pillow-licker...

Our dog loves to lick all of us, almost non-stop. But he also especially likes to lick my son's pillow (till the cover is sopping wet). He used to do it to mine & DH's as well, but now that he sleeps with us I guess HE doesn't want to sleep on a wet one (yes, he sleeps with his head on one of our pillows if the other is not in bed).

Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Funny you mention a pillow-licker...

Our dog loves to lick all of us, almost non-stop. But he also especially likes to lick my son's pillow (till the cover is sopping wet). He used to do it to mine & DH's as well, but now that he sleeps with us I guess HE doesn't want to sleep on a wet one (yes, he sleeps with his head on one of our pillows if the other is not in bed).
I figured she wasn't alone, there had to be other pillow-lickers out there !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs