Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM

737 posts, read 2,594,264 times

Advertisements

Our vet recommended that since it is only my DH and myself that we should limit our pack to three dogs - all rescues and very needy.

We had two more dumped on our property on Thanksgiving while I was gone. Of course, DH took them in and should have had them neutered immediately (they go in this Thurs. for the procedure). So we are up to five. Not very manageable in terms of giving the appropriate amount of attention to each one.

The two new ones were obviously inside pets and are already trained; very young brothers or cousins, not sure. Vet will give more insight Thurs.

We've had a few fights but I think the neutering will cure that.

I was happy and yet sometimes overwhelmed with just the 3; now the 5 seems we are so outnumbered but cannot get them re-homed. Euth is the only option if we turn them over to the rescue. On a budget, proper vetting is looking like we'll be eating rice and beans for a long time.

In any case, just wanted to know what other canine parents have found when expanding the pack. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,994,598 times
Sometimes you just have to do the best you can. If you can keep them, I am all for it! I am single now and have 3 dogs and 4 cats. Everybody gets his/her own share of attention. However, I am retired and home a lot. They keep me company and keep me happy. I feel a responsibility to all of them (all rescues).

Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Sometimes you just have to do the best you can. If you can keep them, I am all for it! I am single now and have 3 dogs and 4 cats. Everybody gets his/her own share of attention. However, I am retired and home a lot. They keep me company and keep me happy. I feel a responsibility to all of them (all rescues).
Thanks for the reply. We work from home but DH travels often for business. All are off leash and always come back (we have 5 acres and they know the boundaries). Still, two of the initial pack have meds daily and won't find out about what is need for the 2 new ones until Thurs. So, it is basically me as the alpha and I have had to carry the spritz bottle to break up the fights - all food induced fights and I've got a plan in place to mitigate that. Still, I'm on the verge of just getting them neutered and working the phones to get them re-homed.

Damn, I hate it when people leave the island and dump their pets. Thanks to the forum for letting me vent.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,925,054 times
it soudns like your already a little overwhelmed so id definatly suggest trying to rehome some, i know how hard that can be on a small island but im sure if you contact mainland shelters they would be happy to help too.

personally i dont think theres a specific number of "ok" per person for any animals, some people can handle more, some people less and of course each animals behaviour will also play a part, a pack of 20 dogs who all get along well is going to be much easier than 3 dogs who are constantly getting into "arguments".

i too hate people who just dump their pets like that, what your doing to help these abandoned pets is a wonderfull and amazing thing. if it happens frequently you might ewant to look into local regulations and rules to become a charitable cause, at least if you have charitable status youd be able to ask for donations and things like vet care and food become tax deductable which might help on the financial side.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 PM

288 posts, read 694,574 times
Wow, sounds like you have your hands quite full, how kind of you to take them in though

However, there are thousands of unwanted dogs, and we simply cannot save them all, as much as it breaks my heart to say it

Are there any no kill rescues that the dogs could go to, not all rescues euthanize

I have two rescues, and I don't think I could deal with anymore than my two as they are pretty full on!

It seems sad that you are having to sacrifice your own quality of life to meet the needs of the additional rescue dogs, If it was me, as much as I would find it hard, I think I would try and find a rescue to help me out as at the end of the day, you have to enjoy your life too, otherwise it will become a chore rather than a pleasure

Good luck and just remember, you only get one life to enjoy too and we sadly cannot save all the unwanted dogs that are abandoned as much as we want to

Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks to all for your support. I'll find out more on Thurs. but cannot deal w/another heartworm or leg surgery (our initial three), just not in the budget.

Sadly, there is only one "shelter" on island (a kill shelter) so not many options are available. Still working the phones but during the holiday season, it is difficult to find anyone on-island that can help.

Yeah, I'll probably just do the best I can. Will update after the Thurs. appt. We do have a non-profit here that sends dogs back State-side where they have agreements with different no-kill shelters. Sadly, nothing in FL which is our primary State-side travel. So far, we have done 4 rescues... getting dogs off-island to the States. Unfortunately, these 2 guys are too big to go cabin. I won't send a pet in cargo, not worth the risk.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM

106 posts, read 441,546 times
I can say it is hard. I have 11 and only 2 are not rescues. Since we are out in the country, we get all the dumps, one this morning, but it ran off (after tearing up my outside garbage and generally creating havoc with my other dogs lol). It's so frustrating. They take all my time. It is just me and DH, but still. I do work from home and I think that helps manage the overwhelmed part. No vacations--who will sit with this crazy bunch--no money, it's all in the vet/dog food/dog treats/dog assorted sundries fund. We moved here 13 years ago with a manageable bunch that were ours before marriage (we each had 3). I can say though that after some time waiting with one rescue, 3 months I think, Spit found his forever home, and it looks like Chunk will too (2 years this coming summer), which makes me sad but happy. Soon we will have our 'trial run' to see if it will work for them and Chunk. He was hard to find a home for since he is part pittie and part heeler and no one wanted him. All the formal rescues are full to the brim and all the 'unofficial rescues' are also full. So, as they show up I do what I can, but I cannot save them all, like I would like to do. On the other hand, there is a house that is a ways from me (6 miles, maybe) and they let all the dogs run loose, not spayed or neutered, they eventually all get hit by cars, and when they are all gone/dead, the people get 3 more or a whole litter. I know this because when I drive by I mark the days until I see them dead. The longest one that lived was about a year. This has been going on since I've been here. I am told there is nothing anyone can do about it because it is legally reservation, but I am quite positive that Chunkie boy came from there. Other people just drop them off. Bob came to us about 2 years ago or so, bad shape, etc., etc., etc. I didn't really even like him. He was obviously a kennel kept dog, tried as a gun dog and then discarded (because he really is not a gun dog by any stretch of the imagination--we tried) and he just wasn't very "doggy." I don't know how to put that. But I persisted with him. And lo and behold just about two months ago I was standing at the kitchen window and watching him and he PLAYED. I mean PLAYED. For the first time with a dog. Like a dog should play. (thank you Chunkie boy!) It brought tears to my eyes and I couldn't believe that I had given up on him just being a dog's dog. So, in retrospect of all that we give up to take care of our silly little family, just watching Bob play and so obviously enjoying it for the first time ever, made up for all that, and I found out that I really do love him after all. Kinda silly I know. And having this many was never our plan, but apparently it was someone's. I am thankful I can even help the ones I do, and just know that all you can do is your best.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM

106 posts, read 441,546 times
Sure. I'm a hoarder. That's why my oldest is aged 15 years and I find homes for the dumps instead of killing them. I live on acreage with no children, so the poor things have to run in and out of the house all frikin day and I work at home specifically so I can be here to take care of them. Thanks. Really.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,925,054 times
DMO11 pay no heed, from wha tyou say your not a hoarder...

but i definatly suggest both, (being in areas prone to dumping) make sure to develop realy strong relationships with as many rescues and shelters as possible!

honestly OP, ive delt with cargo flights for pets and as long as you stick to an airline good with pets (id suggest delta pet first, continental isnt bad but i prefer delta) theres very little risk for a healthy dog.
delta are wonderfull ive actually been on a few "behind the scenes' tours for deltas pets first program, the dogs are kept in an ac place untill loaded, they are the last ones on the plane and the first ones off and the cargo area they travel in is supervised heated and fully pressurized 9just like in the cabin)

i definatly think its an option given the cicrumstances that should be looked into for larger adopatable dogs rather than keeping and overwhelming yourself.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,398,992 times
I don't think there is a fixed number/ratio - it varies from person to person and changes during the course of their lives too. Just one six month old border collie or blue heeler would be too much for me but I have 3 senior dogs at this time and that's a great size for me. I just don't have the energy and stamina for any more young dogs at this point in my life - retired for 6 years now.

I have had as many as 6 of my own, all seniors along with any number of fosters, once 4 adults and a litter of ten pups and I was able to handle that because the pups with me very short term, about 2 weeks, until they went to a bigger rescue group.

I did decide that 6 was too many even though they were all seniors and so as they have crossed the rainbow bridge I've let my numbers come down and will most likely not go any more than 4 of my own and I've been taking a break from fostering for nearly a year now. I'll probably get back into it with just one or two come springtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs