Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 AM

134 posts, read 681,111 times

Advertisements

I live in So Cal and am planning a move to the Crossville area, 5 acres in a more rural area, about 15 miles from town. I need info about dog safety.

What are things to be concerned about? In So Cal rattlesnakes would be a concern but only if you hike in the mountain area...for the most part...and in all my 45 years have seen maybe five rattlers.

I am seeking the real practical concerns.

Can I make a fence about 25 x 25 and feel safe leaving them outside?

Any dog tips from those who live in this type of geography please respond.

Crazy Ivan says HI as well!
Moderator cut: edit
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Pocketplayer/Ivan13.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Pocketplayer/Ivan12.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-14-2008 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: no links to blogs in forum - you may post in your profile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 04:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Here's a link on snakes in TN:

Staying Safe from Snakes in Tennessee

I'd also be concerned about spiders.

My first concern, however, would be theft in a rural area, and dogs such as yours are never stolen to be the next family pet. I'm unable to determine if you mean leave them outside as in all the time, or just having a run for them to use. If you're at home, great...I would not leave them unattended all day, though.

Use the normal precautions and remove all brush and plants that could harm them...if you have a gate, have a padlock on it to keep folks out. Keep a source of water very near by...you're going to need it with the heat, and be sure and have some shade available and a protected, covered spot that is raised in case of a cloudburst.

Here's a link to poisonous plants that John1960 recently posted - it's very good. Learn to identify which ones are in your new region and remove them ASAP.

Toxic plants for dogs, poisonous plants for dogs and pets. Poison Control Info

Good luck with the move - what a change!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,983,838 times
I would be more concerned w/Coyotes at night and other loose dogs during the day than anything else.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 AM

134 posts, read 681,111 times
Excellent info...the loose dogs was a surprise.

Not sure if I fully get this statement;
Quote:
My first concern, however, would be theft in a rural area, and dogs such as yours are never stolen to be the next family pet.
First you mention theft as a concern, then dogs like mine never stolen.

The idea of clearing brush, planning on a shady area is great. I'm not into building an iron clad anti-theft fence. I was thinking very simple just to deter the dogs from wandering.

I would like to leave them outside if I was gone during the day, but if it's a problem, keep them in a more secure outdoor pen that is much smaller, yet still comfortable.

At night, they are indoors.

Any flea/tick treatments you all found useful is appreciated...as well as any other product you might use. Maybe flea/mosquito repellent as well.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 AM

62 posts, read 395,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
Not sure if I fully get this statement;

First you mention theft as a concern, then dogs like mine never stolen.
I think the poster meant that dogs who like like pit bulls or pit bull mixes are stolen, not to be pets, but instead to bolster the next owner's image as a tough guy, or, possibly, to have some involvement in dog fighting. Not unheard of.

Shade and water are key if you're leaving a dog outside.

I would encourage you to go to your vet in Tennessee and ask about any vaccinations s/he recommends. Some diseases are more common in the South than in California.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM

If your dog is crazy hyper, heat is a concern. Well, it's a concern anyway on really hot days. If you're building the confinement area, it's a must that there's so shade. I live in TN and we have days where the heat index reaches nearly 110. I've looked at more thermostat on my shaded deck before this year and it's been 99 about 5 p.m. However, if he's fairly calm when you're gone he'll probably acclimatize to the heat. It's not like he'll be doing wind sprints back and forth in his fence just for the fun of it.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Yes, theft for dog fighting is a real concern. If he's not a fighter, then he'll be a bait dog. PLEASE don't leave him outside when you are not home! I had a GSD that died in the shade, next to his full water bowl. A necropsy showed that he had an irritated throat, probably from dust and panting, and had a throat spasm and suffocated himself. It was a very hot summer. I was devastated and have never left a dog outsdie when I was gone since then.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM

I really don't imagine Crossville as a major place for dog theft.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Can I make a fence about 25 x 25 and feel safe leaving them outside?
Yes.
Snakes are not a large concern. Mostly copperheads in the area. One summer three of my sisters dogs were bitten. Trip to the vet, no problem. No need to worry about coytes with your dog.

Rabies a must. Frontline or other such flea/tick meds. The heat/humidity can be a hard on them. Just make sure he has shelter, water. An ID tag.

I leave my dogs outside during the day while I am at work and have not had any problems. They like to come in and lay around on the couch when Im home.
Nice looking dog, btw.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Pocketplayer, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear...yes, I was talking about your dog being stolen for dog fights due to breed, and there are people who steal dogs and sell them to laboratories for medical testing. Nothing is unheard of anymore, unfortunately, and being in a rural area where no one is close enough to see what's going on is a little scary.

Please be sure and have your dogs microchipped or identifying tattoos placed...it will help just in case the unheard of happened and they got out.

I've been using Advantix this summer but haven't been very impressed...the mosquitoes have been awful and I suppose it has helped them some, but not as much as it seemed to last year. Oh, and of course, heartworm meds. I don't know how prevalent that is in So Cal, but it's a killer in the south.

If your dogs are well behaved in the house at night you probably would have no issue with transitioning them to full time house dogs...most likely they will sleep the day away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs