Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

I filled up my bird & squirrel feeders, since we've had snow on the ground for a few weeks, and felt sorry for the starving squirrels & birds.

But my very strange dog keeps snarfing up all the seeds that fall to the ground. When the birds and squirrels eat, they scatter all the seeds, and my silly dog sucks them all up.

Now whenever I put him out he beelines for the spots under the feeders.

Is this common for dogs to like seeds? I don't ever remember any other dog eating birdseed. Anyone else have this happen? Hopefully it won't hurt him, but so far so good.

[Note, yes I see I made a stupid typo in my heading. I hate that too.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
My dog does. She is a food nut. I actually had the same question --- or what disease could she get from droppings you know must be in the same locale.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
My Dylan does! I've never worried about it as the amt. he actually inhales is minimal. I have my feeders...5, hanging on poles. When we first put them up, I caught him standing on his back legs trying to knock the feeder!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:31 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Better the dog hoover them up otherwise they attract mice - which migrated into the dog door one year to eat the dog food and I finally had to quit with the bird seed.- good lord! Go to a bird feed store - birds actually crack the seeds and take the seed on the inside leaving the remains on the ground - you need to discuss this with a seller and they can help you with a better bird seed. The dogs also brought dead chipmunks, squirrels and birds into the house as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 AM

204 posts, read 617,687 times
Our dogs love to vacuum under the bird feeder and I try to prevent them from doing that, due to disease concerns.

Dog Diseases Caused by Bird & Rabbit Feces: Canine Diseases & Treatment | eHow.com

Only a muzzle could completely prevent them from eating some of the disgusting things they find so irresistable....so I do what I can to minimize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs