Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,188 times

Advertisements

My 82 year old Mom recently found out her beagle has Cushings Disease. I am trying to find out some first hand info. for her if possible. She has incurred some expensive vet bills with no results as of yet. Right now her dog is on a chemotherapy pill form of medication for 12 days. She was on a lesser strength one a couple of weeks earlier that did nothing.
Any help would be appreciated since my Mom does not have the internet. I did a search but did not come up with too much except the standard info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 PM

48,159 posts, read 22,020,175 times
I think Cushings syndrone is a condition of the adreanal gland producing too much of the adrenal hormones....it will require chemo to manage and that can swing it to producing too little of the hormones resulting in Addisons disease. Both conditions require long term management and medication. We recently lost a very geriatric dog who had had Addison's Disease for quite a few years, her condition was managable....but chronic, requiring careful monitoring and daily medication and monthly injections....but that was Addisons...the opposite but related condition.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:54 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,443,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
My 82 year old Mom recently found out her beagle has Cushings Disease. I am trying to find out some first hand info. for her if possible. She has incurred some expensive vet bills with no results as of yet. Right now her dog is on a chemotherapy pill form of medication for 12 days. She was on a lesser strength one a couple of weeks earlier that did nothing.
Any help would be appreciated since my Mom does not have the internet. I did a search but did not come up with too much except the standard info.

Our pit had Cushings, she was about 8 at the time. Hers was inoperable and she was maintained on meds. I also didn't really see any big improvement; she urinated alot and her body started to resemble that of a pig which is normal with this disease. Our Dakota also had severe arthritis and she was treated for that. We tried everything posible for her. We spent alot of money on our baby at the Vet.

She had the Cushings I'd say for probably a little over a year. At the very end the last resort for her was weekly shots which supposedly would give her pep and help her walk better. She got to where she couldn't get up without help; us lifting her butt for her to get on her legs.

It got to the point where one day she couldn't get up at all and we had to have my baby girl put to sleep; she was miserable. She had that look in her eye where you know they have had enough.

I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the meds she took for the Cushings but I know it was not a chemotherapy type drug. She was given Rimadyl I believe for her arthritis.

I would question the vet as to just "what exactly" is this medicine supposed to do for the dog. I wish you're mom luck with her dog and wish I had more info for you. Our Vet is pretty good (darned expensive though for some things), and she didn't paint a pretty picture for our's with the Cushings; basically one where not a whole lot can be done.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,479 times
You might try sending a message to "Rural Lady" - she's involved with some support group or similar for people with dogs with Cushings. She might have some good info for your mom to read &/or advice.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
You might try sending a message to "Rural Lady" - she's involved with some support group or similar for people with dogs with Cushings. She might have some good info for your mom to read &/or advice.
Is she on the dog forum anywhere? The name does not sound familiar here.
Thanx!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Is she on the dog forum anywhere?
Yup. Just do a search for Cushings disease and her posts come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs