Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,764,617 times

Advertisements

This is a terrible story. 170 animal killed. I'll update as more is reported about this.

Tangipahoa shelter euthanizes over 170 dogs and cats | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Top Stories | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com (http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl080508mldogs.1b665c77.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,251,475 times
I can't even click on the link as this kind of thing absolutely breaks my heart. Long story, but my daughter had to go to the animal shelter in her city a week ago and she said it was like walking through an ophanage. It devastated her.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,526,807 times
I don't envy anyone in that situation. I think it will be easy to find people to blame. I can't imagine how hard it would have been for me as a volunteer!!!

Of course, I get upset that cities don't understand the importance of properly funding their shelters for staff, medication, cleaning supplies, food, etc. I get really upset with the people who think the city shelter will adopt out their unwanted litters at the cost of tax payers.

This is an absolutely true story I am about to share. We had a woman who had missed her appointment with this low cost S/N clinic I volunteer with to get her female pit spayed. She had already taken 3 litters to the OKC shelter from this dog. Our vet tech called her at home and asked her why she continues to miss her dog's spaying appointment. The woman said, "I thought the shelter needed puppies for adoption." This woman was serious and apparently thought there weren't enough pits/pit mixes dying due to not enough homes! I thought our vet tech was going to have a heart attack. Our vet tech proceded to tell her how the shelter functions and how many pets are euthanized a day! She even encouraged the woman to go and take a tour of the OKC shelter and look at the "truck" that hauls all the bodies away. Our vet tech worked many years herself at our OKC shelter. Can you believe the mentality of people! This woman was serious! Long story short, she did bring her pit in to us and the dog was spayed! One down...many more ignorant owners to go.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,764,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I don't envy anyone in that situation. I think it will be easy to find people to blame. I can't imagine how hard it would have been for me as a volunteer!!!

Of course, I get upset that cities don't understand the importance of properly funding their shelters for staff, medication, cleaning supplies, food, etc. I get really upset with the people who think the city shelter will adopt out their unwanted litters at the cost of tax payers.

This is an absolutely true story I am about to share. We had a woman who had missed her appointment with this low cost S/N clinic I volunteer with to get her female pit spayed. She had already taken 3 litters to the OKC shelter from this dog. Our vet tech called her at home and asked her why she continues to miss her dog's spaying appointment. The woman said, "I thought the shelter needed puppies for adoption." This woman was serious and apparently thought there weren't enough pits/pit mixes dying due to not enough homes! I thought our vet tech was going to have a heart attack. Our vet tech proceded to tell her how the shelter functions and how many pets are euthanized a day! She even encouraged the woman to go and take a tour of the OKC shelter and look at the "truck" that hauls all the bodies away. Our vet tech worked many years herself at our OKC shelter. Can you believe the mentality of people! This woman was serious! Long story short, she did bring her pit in to us and the dog was spayed! One down...many more ignorant owners to go.
That is unbelievable. All I can say is hopefully the woman is fixed also!!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:03 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,641,936 times
I cannot read it either....UGH! Heartbreaking! I hate people for causing all these homeless animal tradgedies....none should have their lives taken away...for what? Man the real beast!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 PM

692 posts, read 3,852,681 times
While it is sad, I'm not surprised to the slightest bit.

Our local shelter puts down between 80 and 100 animals a day. It kills me everytime I hear about it, but it's reality. With people foreclosing on houses and large amounts of animals being tossed into shelters or let run free; that means more animals to be euthanized.

Viruses that are in shelters spread like wild fire. If one has it; you should go ahead and treat them all. Most dogs in shelters have a bad immune system. Even if they're utd on shots they still have a chance of catching whatever is going around.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
That is unbelievable. All I can say is hopefully the woman is fixed also!!
Amen, but you just can't fix stupid!!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
As ghastly sad as it is to know that animals are being euthanized for simple lack of a home (or maybe because they are "less adoptable," at least they aren't suffering from neglect, abuse, being fearful, unloved... It is so sad.
Supposedly, the number of animals put down every year for sheer lack of a home has gone from 20 million to some 5 million. Spaying and neutering has been so successful in Massachusetts that puppies are imported from other states or Puerto Rico (smaller mutts).
Now, if only people wouldn't be putzes and buy or adopt puppies and then ditch them when they're no longer cute/shed/nip/interfere with life-with-new-baby...

Adopt seniors, larger older mixes!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,526,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Amen, but you just can't fix stupid!!
I'm sure you each have your own "stupid" people you have encountered, but another favorite of mine is when these folks brought their prego cat into us for spaying. The cat was drenched in cigarette smoke. Poor thing smelled horrible! Our vet assistant commented to the people in a sarcastic and joking manner, "You know the cat smells strongly of cigarette smoke, that's not good for anyone's pregnancy" (lol). The cat owner proceeded to tell her that the cat was very anxious on the car ride to our S/N clinic, so they thought they'd roll the windows up and smoke so that the nicotine could help relax her. NO LIE!!!! Can you believe that??!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I'm sure you each have your own "stupid" people you have encountered, but another favorite of mine is when these folks brought their prego cat into us for spaying. The cat was drenched in cigarette smoke. Poor thing smelled horrible! Our vet assistant commented to the people in a sarcastic and joking manner, "You know the cat smells strongly of cigarette smoke, that's not good for anyone's pregnancy" (lol). The cat owner proceeded to tell her that the cat was very anxious on the car ride to our S/N clinic, so they thought they'd roll the windows up and smoke so that the nicotine could help relax her. NO LIE!!!! Can you believe that??!!!
Oh my gosh, too dumb. It's a wonder they just didn't give her an alcoholic beverage too. I wonder if they suffocate their children with smoke so they'll chill out. I just can't believe some people and their ridiculous comments and ways of doing things. You deserve a rep point for this post, but I couldn't do it because I must "spread the love" before repping you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs