U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 AM

13,142 posts, read 34,810,822 times

Advertisements

Think about these dogs...
Service Dogs for Disabled People

Retired Service animals need homes too. & the dogs that dont make it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,809,228 times
www.theolddoghouse.org/Cached - Similar

There are many great sites for older dog adoption. Also when te elderly are isolated, some doctors recommend adopting an older less active dog, its a wonderful companion for those who are housebound, some nursing homes even bring service dogs in to cheer up the residents

Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM

43,012 posts, read 98,653,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

That's one of the worst written article I ever read. It raised more questions in my mind than answered them.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,333,393 times
We should never forget our forgotten treasures...in nursing homes...or the wonderful service dogs that have been retired.

They are both forgotten treasures...and are priceless...

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM

7,373 posts, read 13,535,608 times
Quote:

You should. Its very rewarding.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 PM

16,053 posts, read 28,416,471 times
I only adopt old dogs. Not "older," but OLD. I haven't seen them cost a cent more in health costs than other dogs, and they are quieter so I can have more of 'em (also, I'm not exactly a ball of fire, working third shift).
If a dog isn't old old, but is a good adult age (like under ten for average sized dogs) you have many good years with them.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM

6,525 posts, read 10,304,296 times
I adopted two older dogs in 2002 when a neighbors house burned down and they had to move to an apartment (they were renting the house). One was a pure breed American Eskimo (Angel) and the other is a mixed beagle (Buddy). Both were about eight years old when I took them in. Angel was pregnant and "gave me" four more pups in the bargin! (I just thought she was fat....)

It was GREAT having the mother around because she did all the housebreaking of the pups for me. Every time one of them pooped on the floor or peed she would bite them on the nose. They learned quick.
She passed away a couple of years ago from kidney failure- she was a great affectionate dog and I miss her.

The other dog "Buddy" is still hanging in there at 18 years old (+/-). Other than being blind in one eye and having cancer last year (On his paw and it was easily removed) he is doing great for an old geezer.

He still thinks he is the "alpha dog" of the pack and tries to intimidate the pups but at 18 it isn't working anymore. I have to make sure they don't fight with buddy. Also, he is very clingy- right now he is sleeping using my foot as a pillow. If I get up he HAS to follow me everywhere.

I call him "Sweet old Buddy" or S.O.B. for short.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 AM

13,142 posts, read 34,810,822 times
Age of dog dont have a thing to do with those [puppy] kind of surprises LOL

Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 PM

16,053 posts, read 28,416,471 times
My seniors have reverted to puppy behavior when in a very good mood! (Rolling, ripping up paper towels). I love seeing them content and peaceful, especially after having tough earlier lives. I so hope the OP gets whatever s/he considers "an older dog." They're the best.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:49 PM

6,525 posts, read 10,304,296 times
Quote:
Age of dog dont have a thing to do with those [puppy] kind of surprises LOL
I was surprised because Buddy & Angel were NEVER in a house in their lives until I adopted them and only Buddy had a few "surprise" incidents but all were of a "marking" nature.

It was funny when the pups were born I had Angel in the bedroom with her pups and they were in a box. It was hot out so I had a box fan on the floor to bring cool air into the room. I decided to bring Buddy in to see his pups and of course he felt the need to "mark" the room so he targeted the box fan.....You guessed it- he was downwind and ended up marking himself more than anything else....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs