Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,050 times

Advertisements

If you have adopted a dog (or cat) from a shelter, is there something about that dog's history you wish you'd known about?

I'm putting together a questionnaire for people to fill out annonymously at a shelter when giving up a dog or cat for adoption. When I adopted a dog from a Humane Society in WA, I received a 2 page questionnaire completed about the dog's health and behavior history. This practice seems non-existent where I live now and this "intake" history would benefit the shelter and certainly prospective "parents".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,717 times
I adopted a stray that was taken in by a rescue so everything I learned came from the rescue org and their fosters. I think basic history would be awesome. Things like...

Was the pet primarily kept indoors or outdoors.
Was the pet alone or did it cohabitate with other animals/pets?
If it did cohabitate what types of animals and how did it get along with them?
Any known medical problems or issues with the dog?

Things like that.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
Mine was 3 mos old and I wish I knew why they found him along the side of the road, but since that is where they found him, without tags, that is all I know.

The dog I wanted had a backstory - the control officer knew the whole story from personally talking to the person (who could not afford the reclaim fee). So there was no form, but its a small town and I got the story from the person who talked to the owner.

Alas, my husband wanted the shepherd mix puppy (and so did the kids) instead of the year-old Kelpie so that is who we adopted.

I would want to know the basics, why is the dog up for adoption, housetrained?, obedience trained?, any fears, health history, temperament, good with other animals or not, good with kids or not.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,856,667 times
Oh yeah,
Years back I adopted a large dog. I wish I had known it had a barking problem. That dog about drove me nuts. Day, night, outside, inside, it didn't matter. It was rehomed to a nice couple who wanted a companion for their dog, and who had lots of land for the dogs to run. YAY.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
I have never had a problem with adopted dogs from shelters (and my main concern has been aggression with other dogs, since I have several). I have had biters who I took from other people and who didn't tell me about the bite risk (in one case, I think they were hoping he'd be OK with more attention and exercise. But he had Springer Rage-it's a real thing).

Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
suggestions above are all excellent.......

and one would have to hope that the person turning the dog over would be truthful....... particularly about behaviour issues, living conditions, etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
When I adopted Thyla from the local shelter the staff neglected to tell me she was pregnant.

Whoops. Really, how could they have ~not~ known?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
Yep, that's a big whoops, usually they're spayed and neutered before being adopted out. I hope they helped with finding the puppies good homes.

The group I volunteer for asks the basics, ie housetrained, good w/ kids, other animals including cats etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,656,839 times
There really is not much a shelter can tell you about any dog in 99 percent of the cases, since most were picked up by Animal Control from the streets or turned in by their owners. Usually from my experience an owner will say any bad thing about the dog when turning it in just to get rid of it or just plain lies...moving....allergic....having a baby. Same old same old. Note, this is not every case but most!
I once was sitting outside the kill shelter I rescued at and saw a car drive up with a man and his big sweet dog licking him all over his face and wagging its tail. He brought the dog in and said the dog was acting vicious towards him. They then put that sweet dog down! (a huge lie that cost that dog its life)
One thing for sure is that most came from abusive homes. You cannot go wrong saving a shelter dog! I have 6 and they thank me everyday for saving them! I would never have it any other way!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,232 times
When I adopted my cat (I know this is for dogs, but I am telling my story) from a shelter I wish they had told me he was afraid of humans!! He is 3 years old now (got him at a few months old) and still I am the only one he trusts... anyone else comes over and he hides the entire time. As much as I love him, I wish they would have said something about him being a scaredy cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs