Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:37 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,254 times

Advertisements

hi,
i have 2 little girls, on 6 and one 3. my 6 yr old just loves animals and they love her too. she wants a dog so bad. i was the same when i was little and always was told no so i know how she feels. we have tried to substitute the dog with cats. they are to independant an dont want to be held. now we have a mouse.. but she cant run and play. so now im looking for a dog. ive been online looking at shelters. i understand all the reasons for 400$ donations but thats alot to swallow. i would like a pup but not sure im ready for the chewing and potty training. then, if i get a little older what will i be getting? i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a little dog to get. i was looking at yorkies and yorkie poos but holy cow are they expensive! would that small of a dog be good for her. shes very gentle and caring. i am so affraid to buy a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 06:30 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
why not look at the pound(75 bucks to 100 is the fee).
Some rescues charge 200-250 ...gotta look.

W/ three kids, I would get something that can handle the kids playing. maybe a corgi,mini aussie, or if your willing to go bigger collies and goldens are awesome w/ kids.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Contact dog rescue groups or go to the pound. You may have to pay for a neuter/spay, $35 or so, but many dogs are there because the owner moved without them. They'll be perfect house dogs and companions. The cost of owning a dog is between $500 and $1000 per year (my dog is a lot more). They're not just "fun" but a great responsibility.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,080 times
Puppies are such hard work! I have housebroken so many dogs in my time and even the most cooperative, bright little pup can be exhausting. With two young kids in the house, if I were you I'd just skip that stage.

I say this because I know how wonderful adopting a full grown dog can be. Yes, rescue dogs can come with baggage. I'd never claim working with a rescue dog is 100% perfect, 100% of the time. However the happy stories faaaaar outweigh the bad. I am all about adopting a shelter dog, especially when it's saving a pooch from sure death. However, since you have young kids going with a reputable rescue group would be really ideal. They have volunteers who strive to place a pet with the perfect family. High energy homes get the higher energy dogs, dogs who have socialization issues are not placed with kids, etc. You get a home visit, often with a few dogs in tow to see what's the best fit-- something which is often not available with shelter dogs. Not to mention a rescue group will have thoroughly vetted the dog and so you'll know going in just how healthy a dog is or isn't.

Don't mean to lecture you, but if there is a breed you're interested in, seriously consider contacting that breed specific rescue in your area. I cannot speak for other rescues, but the breed rescue I work with has an adoption fee considerably lower than $400. Sometimes they don't list their dogs on the big national adoption sites because they prefer to work locally and they cannot answer the volume of email that tends to come in from these sites. And if $400 seems high...well, a $150 pup out of the classifieds will likely come with vet bills that will make $400 look like a walk in the park! Take it from me--I've had a puppymill dog, several BYB dogs, show quality pups from exceptional breeders who health test, and a middle-aged rescue dog. In that order. Love(d) them all equally. But the rescue dog was a custom made fit. Priceless.

Not all rescue groups are created equally and I know of people who write off the whole process because they had a bad situation--not with the dog, but with the process or some of the rules. But it's worth exploring and is a way to get a beautiful, healthy animal. Also, though pure bloods are the focus of breed specific groups, I often see adorable mixes who are fostered by the same group as they need love too. It's win win.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Please do your breed research before getting a dog. Most (always an exception to every rule) toy breeds and terriers are no the best mix with young children. Both are high strung and that breeds the potential for a bad combination.

I would look for Lab, Golden Retrievers, if you are wanting something smaller scale Pugs and Frenches are wonderful with kids. Of course the Frenchie (French Bulldog) is a spendy little dog due to the rarity.

Best of luck and great thinking on your part and being able to relate to your daughter

Old 08-19-2008, 07:09 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I agree! The smaller breeds usually don't mix well with small children. They can be high strung and nippy when not handled correctly.

While puppies are ALOT of work (but who can beat the puppy breath) be aware that a dog found at a rescue or pound may come with it's own set of issues and be ready to work thru them. Adopting in a dog/puppy is a lifetime commitment so go slow and good luck!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
We recently got a puppy...and I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old...I swear it felt like I had another newborn in the house. It really is a ton of work like the pp said. If I were to do it again, I would rescue an older dog or get a puppy when my kids are older...I just feel like I am constantly policing the kids. Just making sure they are treating the dog ok. There is a lot of tail pulling, leg pulling, skin pulling etc that this puppy endures.

It has been a lot of work but our dog is fantastic with our kids and he is truely a well behaved dog...

Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Good morning! I'm glad you are giving this decision so much thought because it is a big commitment. Our kids started their campaign to get a dog when they were 5 and 7, but we just weren't ready. We did a lot of research and waited until they were 10 and 12 before getting our first dog. We didn't have a fenced yard at that time, but since our Tiger was a house dog, it wasn't an issue. We simply let him outside on a staked rope to do his business, watched, and let him back in. The whole process only took a few minutes, so it is doable without a fence, but it requires more of you.

Research before you get your first dog. Look for a breed that fits with your family's life style not just one that you find visually pleasing. Talk to people who have the breed you're considering and get their input. You don't want a very active dog in a house full of couch potatoes or vice versa. We wanted a small, mild-mannered, quiet, non-shedding, laid back, house dog that would be good with our kids. Tiger, our first dog, is a maltese. He is all of these things and more, so our research really paid off.

If you want a house dog, I strongly urge you to get a non-shedding one. You wouldn't believe how much hair accumulates each day and where it ends up - on your clothes, furniture, floors, toys, etc. If you don't want to sweep up hair on a daily basis or if you're kind of particular about cleanliness, you might not want to get a dog that sheds.

Dogs can be expensive and quite time consuming especially if you get a puppy. You'll need to socialize and housebreak a pup which doesn't always go as outlined in the books you'll read. Then there are shots, heartworm tests, heartworm/flee prevention meds, spay/neuter costs, and other unexpected vet bills. If your budget is tight you might not want to get a puppy until you have more disposable income.

Years have passed, our kids are almost grown ups, and we now have three dogs and a fenced yard. Tiger is an 8 pound maltese. Bear is a 2 year old, 14 pound shih tzu poodle mix, and Lila our 1.5 year old, 3 pound yorkiepoo. I love all three dogs, but would not recommend a dog under 12 pounds for small children. The little dogs are just too fragile no matter how gentle the small children are. If you heart is set on a tiny house dog, I'd suggest waiting until your kids are older. If you want a dog now, I'd go for a dog that was larger than 12 pounds and sturdy.

Our shih tzu poodle mix is the perfect dog for kids. He plays with our neighbor's kids who are 4, 7, 10, 12, and 13 years old. They play with him everyday because their mom is allergic and can't have a dog, so we share our dogs with them. They dress Bear in clothes, carry him around like a baby, cart him around in a stroller, run with him, roll around on the ground with him, you name it and they do it to Bear. (Tiger and Lila aren't as keen about these sessions, so they don't go daily.)

I hope you find not only the perfect dog for your family, but also the perfect timing. I know we would've loved to have a dog when our kids were smaller, but we just didn't have the time to dedicate to a dog until they were a bit older. It's a big commitment, kind of like taking on a child that will never grow up, but it's wonderful. I never truly knew unconditional love until we got Tiger. Now I'm blessed with three times that love. I wish you well.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Small dogs get nippy, as others have written, and they break easily. IMO, not a good choice for young children. Call the shelters and ask for "owner surrenders" that they have had a while and get to know. Then spend some time visiting at the shelter with the dog; they have "visiting" rooms so you can see how the kids and dog dfo together. Puppies are a LOT of work, a 1 y/o dog is still very playful but past the worst stage and should be housebroken already.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
IN your situation I would consider waiting until after I had moved to even think about looking for a dog. Since you appear to be heading to North Port you should check with Suncoast Humane Society in Englewood Suncoast Humane Society -- Shelter for Abused and Abandoned Animals in Southwest Florida They are a great no kill shelter. I got Shadow there.

I will echo the sentiment of not considering a small dog with children. Go for a lab or a lab mix. Much more even tempered and more likely to be tolerant of kids. I might also consider a dog out of the puppy stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs