Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 PM

128 posts, read 220,561 times

Advertisements

We live in rainy area and my dogs get cabin fever and beg for some stimulation. So we came up with a fun game I thought id share as it wears them out when long walks r unavailable. Its like hide and seek with dog treats. I get chicken jerky for dogs..they love it and u can break it down to smaller sizes and its not greasy so it doesn't offend where u hide it. Just show the dog the treats...put them in a room and go hide the treats. At first in plain sight where they r sure to find. I say go find as I open the door. U can show them a treat and drop it by one uve hidden to get them on the scent. Each time hiding the treats in less visible places working ur way up to having to get extremely creative as I am having to be now! It is amazing how good they get and how great those noses are. I had so much fun with them today I had to share as any dog lover would get a kick out of watching your dog work those brains and have a blast doing it. When I ask if they wanna play go find..they run into the bedroom and wait patiently.(I still close the door so they can't peek) ..then when I open the door they burst out and the noses r just going at full throttle. I am having to resort to hiding the treats inside a ripped stuffed dogtoy or even hanging the treat at above their head level in a closet with a string as the usuaully sniff downward. They can smell it but heck if they can see it. Took them a long while on that one. I made it low enuff that they can reach it standing on the hind legs. May have to go higher soon. Now they are passed out as today I made it so hard they took a half hour. Try it u will have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Cute!

Now we need pictures!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Cute!

Now we need pictures!
^^^ What she said. Pics please!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
It sounds like a lot of fun, a great idea, but please don't give them chicken jerky treats. Do a forum search on jerky, and countless threads will come up about problems with it. The FDA hasn't recalled it (yet) but did issue a warning about it a month or two ago.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Definitely sounds like a good, fun game! My cousin has her dogs sit in one room and she goes and hides, then she calls their names and they go and find her.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Definitely sounds like a good, fun game! My cousin has her dogs sit in one room and she goes and hides, then she calls their names and they go and find her.
I play that game, too.

They are so happy when they find you!

I think they like the game...I mean, they keep playing it.

Put them in a sit/stay at one end of the house. Go hide at the other end. Call them!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
A friend of mine with a very big, lively young Lab used to take him down to the big unfinished basement and play soccer with him.
Once he invaded a high school game and stole the ball! It made the local newspaper.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM

32 posts, read 185,686 times
we do the same thing with our basset hounds and and blood hound.
I take the treat and rub it on the floor/carpet and make a trail. Then I make a fork and go a different way. Its fun to watch them sniff the ground like that.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
The problem I would have with hiding anything (including myself) is my velcro dogs follow me around whereever I go.

I get them to run downstairs by throwing a cookie down there then hide but it they find me pretty quick.

I'd have to put them outside while I did it. That's the only time I can find a good hiding spot where they can't find me when playing hide and seek.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Your dogs can't do a sit-stay?
Well, there is your rainy day activity. Obedience training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs