Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 PM

355 posts, read 2,706,657 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I have been wanting a dog for the longest time. We have now decided to get one, but are having trouble choosing a breed. We know we want a dog breed of the toy group, but we are not sure which one is the most suitable for our home. We don't want a dog that barks at strangers and we also want a dog which is easy to train. We have been thinking about a yorkie, but I read that they frequently bark at strangers. My family has lots of company, which would make a dog that barks at strangers too difficult for us. Please help! P.S. what about Shih Tzus? I heard they may bark frequently. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,275,035 times
All dogs bark!!! I for one, want my dogs to bark at strangers. Barking doesn't mean they are vicious, it is their way of warning you. My dogs bark at strangers and family but if I let you inside, they know you are OK.

Small dogs can also be a challenge to housebreak. They tend to be hardheaded too. My small dogs were much harder to train than my big dogs.

You have to decide if you are willing to spend time training a dog. Too many dogs are in shelters and rescue groups because ppl didn't consider that dogs do not come trained and they do take a lot of work.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,388,021 times
Many small dogs are barkers. Personally, we like the mini-dachshunds. As small as 8-10 lbs. They are a big dog in a small package. They are tuff little personalities and clowns. And their bark is not the high pitched yap - behind a closed door they sound bigger than they are so they are great watchdogs. The long hairs have more mellow personalities and the dachshund has the biggest number of coat variations of any breed of dog - shorthair, longhair, wirehair, black and tan, red, piebald, chocolate, cream..... get a good breeder though. Not a petshop, because they are in the top 10 breeds they are popular with the puppy mills. And you will pay less through a breeder too! Just may have to get on a waiting list for a puppy though.

They love to go for walks and hikes. The key to housebreaking is "you can never put them out too often" when they are little and learning. Every hour or hour and a half (when they are little) when you are home and crate training when you aren't.

Check the local area dachshund clubs for breeder referrals.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:08 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,388,021 times
Oh yeah, and a relative has a shihtzu and loves him. They are another great breed! Friendly personalities.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM

396 posts, read 1,702,217 times
Look into Cavalier King Charles. They are small and not big barkers.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,922,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
Look into Cavalier King Charles. They are small and not big barkers.
Please be aware that Cavalier King Charles Spaniels have a high rate of serious health-related genetic issues, especially mitral valve disease. Over half of this breed is affected by heart problems by age 5, and by age 10, over 95% suffer from heart problems. As a result of these and other genetic issues, they have a relatively short lifespan and vet bills for routine vet treatment and heart testing can be high. While they are great dogs, there are better options.

As for barking, only the Basenji doesn't bark--and they make some noises. If barking is of great concern to you and you aren't willing or able to commit to the training and socialization necessary to teach a dog when it is appropriate to bark, a dog might not be the best pet for your situation. It would be very sad for you if you got a dog only to find out that it was incompatible with your lifestyle. Dealing with a barking dog can be frustrating.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,712,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Many small dogs are barkers. Personally, we like the mini-dachshunds. As small as 8-10 lbs. They are a big dog in a small package. They are tuff little personalities and clowns. And their bark is not the high pitched yap - behind a closed door they sound bigger than they are so they are great watchdogs. The long hairs have more mellow personalities and the dachshund has the biggest number of coat variations of any breed of dog - shorthair, longhair, wirehair, black and tan, red, piebald, chocolate, cream..... get a good breeder though. Not a petshop, because they are in the top 10 breeds they are popular with the puppy mills. And you will pay less through a breeder too! Just may have to get on a waiting list for a puppy though.

They love to go for walks and hikes. The key to housebreaking is "you can never put them out too often" when they are little and learning. Every hour or hour and a half (when they are little) when you are home and crate training when you aren't.

Love the long and low! Double agree on a responsible breeder!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Hi, my family and I have been wanting a dog for the longest time. We have now decided to get one, but are having trouble choosing a breed. We know we want a dog breed of the toy group, but we are not sure which one is the most suitable for our home. We don't want a dog that barks at strangers and we also want a dog which is easy to train. We have been thinking about a yorkie, but I read that they frequently bark at strangers. My family has lots of company, which would make a dog that barks at strangers too difficult for us. Please help! P.S. what about Shih Tzus? I heard they may bark frequently. Is this true?
Yorkies are terriers and they dig and bark, oh wait all dogs dig and bark! Follow the careful advice on training and please remember they toys are delicate as all dogs are in their puppyhood so control your children and supervise them at all times.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

Yes remember getting up with your human babies? Pups are no different, successful house breaking will involve this. Do you work? They cannot be home alone all day. They will live a number of years, do you own your home or rent? Many questions.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
You're asking quite a broad question about many good small breeds. Dog owners will all have their story about their dog, which might be an exception to the breed. I have 3 Cairn Terriers, and one is the perfect quiet obedient dog. One of the others barks at a leaf blowing in the wind. I will say, they do love company. I don't mind barking if it's to alert me to something. I also have a very small Westie who I adore! My dd petsits for a friend's Chihuahua who seems fragile to me. My parents always had Dachshunds. One barked alot, one didn't. I have another friend who swears by having a Pug and another who is in love w/ her Poodle. I don't know a bunch about Shih Tzus, but I had a friend who had a Lhasapoo and she was the best little dog I ever met.

What I'm getting at is that you're going to have to do some more research to find the dog that best meets your needs. I'm not sure what links are allowed here, so try googling "toy dog breeds" or "dog breed profiles" and that should get you started w/ some info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs