Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times

Advertisements

Along with the 2 cups of puppy food we feed him a week. I know he can't be hungry....this can't be healthy......anyone herd of this or know of something I can try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 AM

658 posts, read 830,555 times
Roughage!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Roughage!
no kidding

Old 08-08-2008, 11:54 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,935,062 times
It's normal for dogs to eat things off the ground. You just have to keep a mindful eye on your little one. My dogs love wrappers. They like the sound it makes and if there was food residue on it, bonus! I have to dig and retrieve everytime! So, when I go for walks, I have to be very mindful of what's on the ground.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Is he swallowing these rocks? If so that's going to cause an obstruction if it hasn't already.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Is he swallowing these rocks? If so that's going to cause an obstruction if it hasn't already.
So far I'm pretty sure i've been able to catch him every time he tries to eat one......he runs away from me when he knows i'm going to take the rock away that he has in his mouth so i'm chasing him around the yard constantly....I just can't get him to get his pugy little face out of the rocks! But yes, I am worried that I won't be able to catch every single rock and that he might swallow it.......he's a quick little guy.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Eating rocks (pica) is a problem for some dogs. Pica can be caused by a nutritional deficit, boredom, anxiety...no one really knows exactly why dogs eat things that aren't food. In addition to the potential for digestive problems, eating rocks can also prematurely damage the teeth, so it's worth trying to stop your dog from eating rocks.

However, chasing him around trying to take the rocks away isn't going to help stop the behavior. You've turned it into a game. He picks up a rock, you chase him around....WHAT FUN!! He's getting lots of attention from you every time he puts a rock in his mouth, so what's he gonna do when he's bored or lonely? Eat a rock!

First thing to do if you haven't already is to get a vet check to make sure there's nothing else wrong.

Second, give him lots of exercise. Walk him, play with him, get him tired out.

Third, when he picks up a rock, distract him with something he likes better. You want to teach him to trade rocks for good stuff that YOU control. Try small pieces of fat-free cheese, bits of hot dog, whatever he really loves and doesn't get very often. When he picks up a rock, offer the treat. When he drops the rock, tell him he's a good boy. Offer him a toy, like a kong, instead. Reward the behavior you want and ignore the behavior you don't want. If you keep at it, he'll learn that rocks don't bring him rewards.

Keep in mind that this behavior is ingrained and reinforced, so you won't change it overnight.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Eating rocks (pica) is a problem for some dogs. Pica can be caused by a nutritional deficit, boredom, anxiety...no one really knows exactly why dogs eat things that aren't food. In addition to the potential for digestive problems, eating rocks can also prematurely damage the teeth, so it's worth trying to stop your dog from eating rocks.

However, chasing him around trying to take the rocks away isn't going to help stop the behavior. You've turned it into a game. He picks up a rock, you chase him around....WHAT FUN!! He's getting lots of attention from you every time he puts a rock in his mouth, so what's he gonna do when he's bored or lonely? Eat a rock!

First thing to do if you haven't already is to get a vet check to make sure there's nothing else wrong.

Second, give him lots of exercise. Walk him, play with him, get him tired out.

Third, when he picks up a rock, distract him with something he likes better. You want to teach him to trade rocks for good stuff that YOU control. Try small pieces of fat-free cheese, bits of hot dog, whatever he really loves and doesn't get very often. When he picks up a rock, offer the treat. When he drops the rock, tell him he's a good boy. Offer him a toy, like a kong, instead. Reward the behavior you want and ignore the behavior you don't want. If you keep at it, he'll learn that rocks don't bring him rewards.

Keep in mind that this behavior is ingrained and reinforced, so you won't change it overnight.
That makes a lot of sense, I will definitly try that! Thanks!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:47 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post

That's what I'd thought. I've had to have surgery on a terrier that had eaten multi colored plastic. And hubby - right before we started dating - had a bassett that ate rocks and had surgery which she didn't recover from and he lost her.

Especially with puppies, you have to be so very careful of every single thing around them.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,187 times
I have the same problem with my pup, except she goes nuts for everything: mulch, twigs, sticks, rocks, grass, plants, dirt, mud, leaves.... I too worry about obstructions from indigestibles or splinters, etc, so I have to be vigilant every time we go out. It's so tiring to supervise her every move non-stop ... but she's so worth it.

I've tried distracting her with toys and even treats, but it's as though nothing else exists when she's found the perfect patch of dirt or twig or whatever she found to chew on. Is this something pups outgrow?? I don't recall my previous dog having as bad a problem with this as a pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs