U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 18,710 times

Advertisements

Need to get my dogs nails cut way down its hurting her when she walks, the quik is a problem but cant seem to find anyone who knows what their doing when it comes to cutting her nails! took her to the vet to have them done and they hurt her now she has ISSUES theres no way I can do it alone, she wont hurt me or anyone else but shes strong and hard to hold still. anyone used a dremel with success? will it quik her as badly as cutting them? help, she can hardly walk and shes getting way over weight!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone used the "pedicure" dremmel thing yet?-pudgeygirl.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 7,544,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
Need to get my dogs nails cut way down its hurting her when she walks, the quik is a problem but cant seem to find anyone who knows what their doing when it comes to cutting her nails! took her to the vet to have them done and they hurt her now she has ISSUES theres no way I can do it alone, she wont hurt me or anyone else but shes strong and hard to hold still. anyone used a dremel with success? will it quik her as badly as cutting them? help, she can hardly walk and shes getting way over weight!
A dremel works very well for grinding down long nails. However, if your dog already has issues, then you probably won't be able to handle a dremel and the dog yourself, and the quick will still be an issue.

When dogs' nails are allowed to grow too long, the quick grows too, so even when you trim only a bit of the nail you risk hitting the quick. If you keep the nails trimmed regularly the quick recedes and you can trim the nails much shorter as a result. Since your dog's nails are overgrown, it's not likely that you or anyone will be able to trim them enough to allow her to walk comfortably without cutting into the quick.

Your best bet is to take her back to the vet and see if they can trim the nails again for you. It will probably hurt a bit because to get them short enough they'll have to quick them. Many vets will do this under anesthesia, and get them short enough to give you a fresh start. Once the nails are the right length, keep them short or your poor dog will have to go through this again, and it's not fair to your dog. Overgrown nails are very painful and walking on them can cause joint problems from the dog trying to compensate for the pain.

Get the dog to a vet, then get her more exercise.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 AM

5 posts, read 18,710 times
thank you!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,637,315 times
How often do most people need to trim?

Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 PM

13,294 posts, read 35,718,542 times
Katie is on carpet... so I trim hers once a month. When I had my kennel dogs were outside all day in pea gravel playing..they got trimmed NEVER. But 2 times a yr I checked their dew claws [those that had them.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs