Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM

685 posts, read 1,105,993 times

Advertisements

This is my third poodle. First one was quiet as a mouse other then when the doorbell rang and he would bark. Second, would bark when excited and playing around and I think when the doorbell rang, which I could deal with. Our current poodle , dear lord, anytime he hears any loud noise outside, he barks. We have issues with our neighbors, as they are extremely noisey and are outside all the time day and night talking very loudly, screaming, cursing, etc. So guess whose dog barks almost every time he hears one of their voices? I admit, when we got my dog, I was pregnant at the time and did not do much training with him, but even as a puppy, he barked a lot.

He is 3 years old now and at times I just can't take the barking. I can't leave our front door open either for him to sit and look out bc he will bark at every dog and most people who walk by. I am sick of yelling be quiet, shut up, which do nothing either, or picking him up right away when the doorbell rings and he goes bizerk. Is this something that he can be trained out of? We really don't have money for a trainer right now. Or is it too late?

I saw on Amazon they sell a citronella collar that sprays the dog and is supposed to stop the barking. Anyone have experience with this? Is this yapping just common for this breed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
I wouldn't bother with citronella collars. I've met a lot of ultra yappy toy poodles, so it could be a thing with the breed, especially since so many are so ill bred.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Long time ago I had a collie mix who barked. At. Everything.

I taught her to bark on command. That way I could also tell her "good girl, now you can stop barking." That pretty well fixed the problem as long as I was there.

Frankly I wouldn't hesitate to surgically debark a noisy dog.

Debarking (Bark Softening) - Myths and Facts | National Animal Interest Alliance

Less invasive than spaying and neutering, and much kinder. Lets the dog do what it was bred or feels compelled to do, without endless nagging and squirting and shocking, and also without irritating the crap out of your neighbors or getting to the point of giving up on the dog..

Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,685 times
Our poodle is a yapper too but after 12 years,we figure thats just him. rofl yes it is an annoying trait.
One thing though,he is so clever,he is almost human.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Our poodle is a yapper too but after 12 years,we figure thats just him. rofl yes it is an annoying trait.
One thing though,he is so clever,he is almost human.
Yapping humans get divorced .

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Long time ago I had a collie mix who barked. At. Everything.

I taught her to bark on command. That way I could also tell her "good girl, now you can stop barking." That pretty well fixed the problem as long as I was there.

Frankly I wouldn't hesitate to surgically debark a noisy dog.

Debarking (Bark Softening) - Myths and Facts | National Animal Interest Alliance

Less invasive than spaying and neutering, and much kinder. Lets the dog do what it was bred or feels compelled to do, without endless nagging and squirting and shocking, and also without irritating the crap out of your neighbors or getting to the point of giving up on the dog..

I don't care what any "professional" says, this is a terrible thing to do to a dog. A family member has a rescued dog who had this procedure done before he got her from the shelter. She was quieted alright, she has no voice at all any longer.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I would try training first and it will take some time, re programing barking is a hard one but can be done but it will take a big commitment on your part to get it done, I'd suggest finding a positive re-inforcement trainer to help you with this.

De-barking would be the last thing I would consider. I happen to own a de-barked dog, he was a breeder buy back re-home and the first owner did it, he does still have a bark but it's pretty quiet. I also have a friend who's big into Shelties so I've met some who have been de-barked. My dogs bark has come back to a certain extent. So think long and hard before you do this. If you do choose to de-bark, make sure you find a vet who not only will do it but has plenty of clients who've had it done and ask to speak with them, although it's a simple procedure it can be botched and finding an experienced vet who will do it is becoming more and more difficult in some parts of the country.

Because you own a purebred dog I would also consider contacting your local breed rescue and re-home just might be an option before I'd consider de-barking.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,993 times
I would never de-bark or re-home my dog. We love him, barking, gross breath and all lol.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,685 times
Good for you.Us too!

Our little yapper makes us laugh too much with his antics.

I suppose he is soo very clever he is just trying to speak to us and the world.

Yours too I expect.

Just a thought but on 4th July,I put the radio to drain out the f/works.
Maybe a radio would distract your little yapper from the neighbors.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't care what any "professional" says, this is a terrible thing to do to a dog. A family member has a rescued dog who had this procedure done before he got her from the shelter. She was quieted alright, she has no voice at all any longer.
I suspect you did not read the link, but responded based on emotion instead of reason or fact. You clearly did not read the link, actually. Otherwise your response would have been quite different.

I also suspect you think it is humane to spay and neuter animals, (it can be) but the fundamental effects and changes to the animals' natural behaviour is actually far greater and more profound than with debarking. But since you won't read anything contrary to your purely emotional yet irrational response, keep a closed mind and believe what you're programmed to believe.

You can google the facts for yourself. I figure you will not be open to reason and common sense, so I'm not going to the bother, again, of posting links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs