Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM

543 posts, read 2,365,319 times

Advertisements

I have been a little sick lately with gallstones and have been taking medication to control the nausea. I have gotten sick and thrown up twice outside and my dog just helped herself to it. YUCK! She has never done anything as gross as this before. My only concern is the medications that still may be present at the time that I upchuck.

I can't control the nausea or when I have to hurl but I am wondering how to deter my dog from helping herself to it? It's nasty! Plus, I worry that she may get the meds in her system.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,544,763 times
Sorry if this is off topic about your dog, but have you had your gallstones checked out by a doctor? I had the same thing, severe gall bladder attacks with uncontrolable vomiting. It finally got so bad I went to the ER and it turned out the gall stones had entered my pancreas and caused pancreatitis, which is really serious. I had to have the gall stones in my pancreas broken up and my gall bladder removed immediately. I have had no problems since. So make sure you get this checked out by a doc! Good luck!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:32 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,925,417 times
If you hurl outside, just grab the hose and wash it away before your dog can get to it.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Sorry if this is off topic about your dog, but have you had your gallstones checked out by a doctor? I had the same thing, severe gall bladder attacks with uncontrolable vomiting. It finally got so bad I went to the ER and it turned out the gall stones had entered my pancreas and caused pancreatitis, which is really serious. I had to have the gall stones in my pancreas broken up and my gall bladder removed immediately. I have had no problems since. So make sure you get this checked out by a doc! Good luck!
I have an appointment with the surgeon. I was diagnosed with Biliary Colic. This thing causes alot of pain, which I'm sure you remember!

Do you think there is a chance that my dog can get sick from doing what she is doing?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 15,631 times
Well I wouldnt want to second guess if your dog could get sick. Talk to your doctor about you and speak with your dogs vet. Here is my biggest question on this topic, WHY ARE YOU THROWING UP NOT ONCE BUT TWICE OUTSIDE?
Why let your dog outside after you knew you threw up there?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,544,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
I have an appointment with the surgeon. I was diagnosed with Biliary Colic. This thing causes alot of pain, which I'm sure you remember!

Do you think there is a chance that my dog can get sick from doing what she is doing?
Since the vomiting comes out of nowhere (I know, I've been there!) maybe always keep a bucket nearby that you can vomit in until you have your surgery. That way your dog won't have access to the vomit. I would imagine your dog ingesting your medicine is probably not healthy for the dog.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM

RedBlaze,

It's a little hard to control! Giddy is normally outside with me when I am outside so it's not like I planned it out. Since I have been sick, I've done this outside, all over myself in the car, at work in the trash can, in the mall, etc.

I'll take the advice about the bucket and try to be more careful next time.

I just wonder why my dog did this. Could she be lacking vitamins in her diet?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
Don't know what medications you are taking but you could call your vet and ask if the medication is dangerous to dogs. And instead of a bucket as it would be hard to carry one everyplace you go why not keep some plastic bags like the ones you would put fruits and veggies ( That size) in your pockets and when you feel you are going to hurl pull one out and hurl in it?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,914,225 times
Quote:
RedBlaze,

It's a little hard to control! Giddy is normally outside with me when I am outside so it's not like I planned it out. Since I have been sick, I've done this outside, all over myself in the car, at work in the trash can, in the mall, etc.

I'll take the advice about the bucket and try to be more careful next time.

I just wonder why my dog did this. Could she be lacking vitamins in her diet?

Lots of dogs eat vomit and other things that humans find disgusting. Vomit is just partially digested food. There's probably no medical reason for her appetite for puke, but whatever meds you're taking can't be good for her.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,311,913 times
Quote:
I can't control the nausea or when I have to hurl but I am wondering how to deter my dog from helping herself to it?
Thanks!
Have you tried cleaning up after yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs