Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,989,717 times

Advertisements

If I were allergic it would bother me - but I might have to go back up to NY one week after I'm there for thanksgiving, and I hate to make the 11 hour drive FOUR TIMES (my car will hate it too). Thinking of flying up with the dog, but I've never done that...airlines wouldn't allow it if it were that bad, would they? Hm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM

430 posts, read 1,267,279 times
We take our little Maltese with us. No one even knows she's there! In fact the last time we flew she got rather vocal after we had landed and I just unzipped the top of her Sherpa so she could stick her head out while we deplaned.....the Flight Attendents said "boy, we never even knew we had a dog on board". We pick the exit row in the middle of the plane so we have extra leg room, take small treats of cooked chicken (it helps with the pressure in their ears) to feed her every now and then. We also taught her to drink from a sports bottle so she gets sips of water during the flight. I just unzip the Sherpa and stick the bottle in there, she doesn't ever come OUT of it during flight.

O.Nana

Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,989,717 times
Aw, that's so cute!

As it turns out, my portly shih tzu no longer fits in her sherpa bag comfortably...so that takes care of that... :-\

Old 10-13-2007, 06:50 AM

30,445 posts, read 52,145,017 times
A passenger requested to be moved when I flew with my cat, but luckily somebody else volunteered to switch seats with him! I don't think he was allergic, but merely a cat hater. I think you'll be fine as long as your dog's well-behaved... or you'll find a nice person to switch places, like I did. Oh, and make sure to check what type of plane you're flying on, since they don't all allow/fit animal carriers on board. I had to "check" my cat on another flight once, which was really stressful for both of us.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,395,280 times
My husband is allergic to cats and he is miserable if he has to sit near a cat on a plane. I imagine it would be the same with people who are allergic to dogs.

We don't hate people who take their pets on planes (because most of them are innocently doing what's allowed), but we totally disagree with the policy of letting pets fly in the passenger cabin. It's not always easy to change seats, and sometimes you're unaware that a pet is nearby but can't figure out why you're suddenly feeling out of sorts.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,301,208 times
There are size restrictions on dogs in the passenger cabin. There was a story on the news here last night about a dog who had been in the cargo area in her crate and ended up with a broken neck due to the crate being ROLLED. Personally, I would not fly with my dog.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 AM

30,445 posts, read 52,145,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
My husband is allergic to cats and he is miserable if he has to sit near a cat on a plane. I imagine it would be the same with people who are allergic to dogs.

We don't hate people who take their pets on planes (because most of them are innocently doing what's allowed), but we totally disagree with the policy of letting pets fly in the passenger cabin. It's not always easy to change seats, and sometimes you're unaware that a pet is nearby but can't figure out why you're suddenly feeling out of sorts.
I'm horribly allergic to perfume, and have been stuck next to passengers wearing it... sure, it's annoying, but we can't make people rub it off first! Just sayin'...

Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 23,979 times
Angry Pets Not Allowed in Exit Rows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
We take our little Maltese with us. No one even knows she's there! In fact the last time we flew she got rather vocal after we had landed and I just unzipped the top of her Sherpa so she could stick her head out while we deplaned.....the Flight Attendents said "boy, we never even knew we had a dog on board". We pick the exit row in the middle of the plane so we have extra leg room, take small treats of cooked chicken (it helps with the pressure in their ears) to feed her every now and then. We also taught her to drink from a sports bottle so she gets sips of water during the flight. I just unzip the Sherpa and stick the bottle in there, she doesn't ever come OUT of it during flight.

O.Nana
Those who insist on traveling with a pet need to know that they are never to be seated in emergency exit rows and for obvious reasons. Humans trying to exit the plane in an emergency would possibly be waiting seconds while the exit row passenger paused to grab a pet or pet in carrier from under the seat. SECONDS MEANS LIVES in a situation where there is smoke and fire on a plane. I will admit that the airlines should be more vigilant about this. Pet owners need to be vigilant as well and point out to gate agents, flight attendants, ticket counter agents, etc., that they do not want to be in an exit row with a pet.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM

149 posts, read 764,312 times
I am allergic to cats and I once saw a passenger had a cat on the plane near where I was sitting. But it didn't bother me one bit. The only way I get symptoms is if I breathe in lots of dander for 20+ minutes, or petted the cat and touched my face, or rubbed my face in a cat, none of which happened.

As long as the pet is small and in a cage or some other enclosed carrier, under the seat, and preferably covered over with a blanket or something if the cage is a wire one. And the pet should not be noisy, like a yapper that wont stop barking. That way most people won't even know it's there and dander is not going to fly all over the cabin.

But, shih tzu's are supposed to be a hypoallergenic breed, as are many other small dogs. So I don't think you need to worry.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,051,720 times
Guess this takes care of me flying with my Lab mix. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs